Skip to content

Wycombe's Released List

Marcus Bean, Darius Charles, Paris Cowan-Hall, Michael Harriman, Yves Ma-Kalambay and Nathan Tyson will all be leaving the club this summer at the end of their contracts.

New contracts will be offered to Adebayo Akinfenwa, Dominic Gape and Scott Kashket, while an option has been taken to extend the contract of goalkeeper Cameron Yates for a further year.

Comments

• Certain inevitability I suppose, shame about PCH and Harriman for me.

• Harriman was never gonna be here, he was offered a contract at the same time as Adam El Abd and turned it down.

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/may/club-holds-contract-talks-with-players/

The comments from both Stroud and Ainsworth are tough to read. It could be a right-old slog next season!

• I would have liked to keep Cowan-Hall, but I can understand why we aren't. The rest aren't a surprise.

There's no chance Gape will sign a contract and stay. I hope Kashket does, but I have a feeling he won't. Akinfenwa I have no idea, I'd like him to stay, but maybe it's the right time for all-sides to move on?

• A massive pat on the back to all those players who are out of contract and leaving us. All of them to a man have worn the shirt with pride. Thank you for all your efforts.

A special mention to Marcus Bean who had four grown men laughing and crying with delight at "that" goal. Memories!

• No real surprises there, but always a sad day. Hopefully those leaving will have as many good memories of Wycombe Wanderers as we do of them.

• Agree, shame about PCH and Harriman

• Good luck to them all. Happy memories indeed. Have the feeling we’ll see Marcus Bean around the club in some capacity again. Much as I liked PCH I do think he was seen as a bit of a luxury player but when he was ‘on’ boy, was he good. I think Harriman was gone the moment McCarthy came really. Shame but I think he’ll find a club at our level.

No surprises about the statements. As they say it’s going to be tough. Keeping Gareth is key. (And not wishing hardship on any other club’s fans but Oxford and Coventry’s problems catching up with them wouldn’t go amiss. Scrub that for Coventry).

• Always sad to see players leave that we have shared special moments with

The harsh reality of our financial situation seems to be kicking in, but the club are doing the right thing, however tough it is going to make life next season

• Surely the time has now come to re-establish the 500 club? I think the club have taken a good step forward here in terms of being honest with the fans and managing expectations. It seems silly though to now not ask fans to contribute to boosting the budget – one extra player could make all the difference.

• It is a brutally stark statement.

Really disappointing that it would appear that Harman, having arguably scuppered the US deal with his antics, now seemingly hasn't come up with the goods when the coast was clear. Other investment options inevitably will take longer if they exist at all.

Comforting that, assuming complete financial meltdown can be avoided, we will still be in the football league in 2020/21. Not sure we would have been confident of that had we been relegated from lg1 to lg2 this season given these financial circumstances.

I wonder whether gareth will stay knowing that there is a significant risk of his reputation being tarnished through no fault of his own or whether he will choose to walk now. lets hope he stays.

Worrying times.

• To be expected unfortunately, if you aren't first choice the money may be better spent elsewhere, or not at all as the need may be.

Was delighted to see Tyse return and really contribute last year, not great and in and out this year so difficult to justify another.

Harriman could absolutely do a job but barring a big offer coming in for McCarthy won't get in ahead.

Bean inevitable really although he seemed to suggest he might fancy staying.

Cap in hand to other teams next year.

No 500 club though which seems odd.

• It sounds to me, unsurprisingly, that GA would quite happily have kept one or two of those players on the list had our budget remained the same.

I know Paris divides opinion but I'd have kept him, whilst I can't see us getting someone better than Harriman in to do the same job - I.e. a utility player on both sides of the pitch. But for McCarthy he'd have played 40 games this season.

• @DevC said:
    It is a brutally stark statement.

Really disappointing that it would appear that Harman, having arguably scuppered the US deal with his antics, now seemingly hasn't come up with the goods when the coast was clear. Other investment options inevitably will take longer if they exist at all.

Comforting that, assuming complete financial meltdown can be avoided, we will still be in the football league in 2020/21. Not sure we would have been confident of that had we been relegated from lg1 to lg2 this season given these financial circumstances.

I wonder whether gareth will stay knowing that there is a significant risk of his reputation being tarnished through no fault of his own or whether he will choose to walk now. lets hope he stays.

Worrying times.

Absolutely appalling stuff from you as usual. Zero evidence that Harman had anything at all to do with the other bid pulling out.

And Gareth Ainsworth is a man of huge integrity and loyalty. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that he would walk away simply to preserve his reputation. It is frankly an insult to even suggest that he might.

And the rest of it you've said before a million times. Nothing new. There never is.

• edited May 2019

Not too many surprises, but I'm absolutely gutted to see Michael Harriman leave. Not only a very useful player, but a thoroughly fantastic man who along with his wife has been an exceptional ambassador for the club (off their own accord I must add) when it comes to his work alongside Wycombe Homeless Connection. Wish all those who have left the best, but especially Harriman and family who I hope find themselves another club as soon as possible which will be lucky to have them.

• Well said @Brownie Harriman is the one I'm most sad to see leave. Really thought he had a future here after the end of the season, and his community work has been superb and must have done a lot of good for the club's reputation beyond football.

• Couldn't agree more. One of the nicest people I've met in football, really sad to see him go.

• I agree, this seems the perfect time to reintroduce the 500 Club even if it just helps to secure one extra player. I think that part of the reason it was cancelled could have been due to the decline in interest between years 1 and 2. If the club had any concerns about a further decline in interest, it wasn’t going to make the 500 Club an attractive option for a 3rd year.

We’ve had to let some good players go due to lack of funds, so I would imagine this would entice people back to the 500 Club idea again, if given the option to invest.

• And I'll third that. Seeing as JJ is aging...sad to see a versatile full back/midfielder leave

• CMS staying with us then ?

• @Stewie63 said:
    CMS staying with us then ?

He has another year. Unlikely he'd agree to leave without first having somewhere else to go.

• Sad to see them leave they have all played there part lets hope the loan signings are better than our last 2 in Bolton and Owens. Going to be a tough summer ahead but there are gems out there to be found i.e onien, gape, randell etc etc all we can do as fans is stick together and back the boys.

• “We are all aware of the pros and cons that come with supporter ownership, and the limitations that it places on us, and I hope that at the same time as celebrating our recent successes, the fans can appreciate the reality of our situation and that we must cut our cloth accordingly. There are too many stories across the country where clubs are finding themselves in real trouble due to the financial pressures and it’s imperative that we avoid falling into the same situations.

The most important consideration in all of this I think.

• I was expecting us to struggle this season, was impressed by early season form and then relieved we made it. I suspect more of the same next term. But you never know a broken biscuit magnate or chair millionaire might turn up with wads of readies...

• Always sad when you have to release players who have made a significant contribution to the cause.

I'd sumarise each of the released players as below

Charles - Just never got going, simply an injury ravaged season. A risk that didn't pay off.

Yves - What a character, and seemed to double up with a role off the pitch. However, you can't carry anyone, and it did seem rich for us to have 3 keepers.

Harriman - such a good player early on, for a spell as a goalscoring right mid, and then a solid pacy right back. McCarthy certainly ended his career here, but that's progress. That little spell of 5-6 games starting at the end gave him half a chance to stay, but not to be.

As I walked from the carpark to Doncaster's ground, i got a warm hello from both him and his wife, and was amazed when they both sat amongst us in the game (sent off the previous week). Clearly a nice guy, the Homless connection bit proving it.

Paris - like JJ and Jombati, he'll always be synonymous with the "journey" we've been on this last 5 years. I'll miss him, but the writing was on the wall when he wasn't even starting when CMS was shipped out, Fred went back, and we chose Samuel/Kashket wide late on.

Bean - better than most gave him credit for - a top spoiler, especially nearer the start to mid of his time with us. Provided some comedy with throw ins and dodgy headers/control too. Had expected him to go the last year or 2 to be honest.

Tyson - what can you say, an absolute star player first time round, and some really decent displays two seasons ago too, with the incredible league 2 front line of Tyson/CMS/Bayo!
    This season felt a season too far, with injuries absolutely ravaging it. I wonder if he might retire now?

So 6 out, 7 if you include Frempah, and Gape surely off. That's a significant reduction in the squad when we're talking about bare minimum incomings.
    However, we've been in this position before, having barely a starting 11 until weeks before. In Gaz we trust!

• @Brownie said:
    Not too many surprises, but I'm absolutely gutted to see Michael Harriman leave. Not only a very useful player, but a thoroughly fantastic man who along with his wife has been an exceptional ambassador for the club (off their own accord I must add) when it comes to his work alongside Wycombe Homeless Connection. Wish all those who have left the best, but especially Harriman and family who I hope find themselves another club as soon as possible which will be lucky to have them.

I thought it had been reported that Harriman had been offered an extension to his contract earlier in the season but had turned it down.

• Is Gape definitely off to manage QPR then?

• Will be buying a season ticket now.

Let everyone have a holiday, call a members meeting in June, get the 500 club going and together we go to the mattresses.

• @mooneyman said:

@Brownie said:

I thought it had been reported that Harriman had been offered an extension to his contract earlier in the season but had turned it down.

What difference would that make to being disappointed to see him leave and wishing him all the best anyhow?

• Its pleasing to hear Trevor say 'that we must cut our cloth accordingly' rather than taking out further loans on the stadium (I assume he hasn't done this, again). Ultimately the club should strive to run at break-even, and a season of frugality (ie not paying folding money for McCarthy, not having 3 GKs, reducing headcount etc) should help with this. I know many people have a firm belief that the club can be run sustainably at this level, and this coming season will hopefully prove it