Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

1789101113»

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Just had a look at the QPR Twitter and hadn't realised Miguel de Souza was their women's team manager.

I think it's a different Miguel De Souza; either that, or he has greatly changed his hair style: https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/de-souza-on-ladies-chichester-draw/

• Ha ha, didn't even think to check given such an unusual name and the local football angle. Glad the real Miguel is still involved in football. One of the great strikers of our football league era.

• edited May 2019

@YorkExile I think if Gareth is offered a fantastic job on better money with a bigger budget he will go. And Dobbo with him. If not he might stay. Some seemed to think that the QPR appointment was a nailed on Bet365 tap the side of your nose certainty...

• Cue it being announced in the next 10 minutes, but.... Warburton hasnt been confirmed yet, first thing thing this morning it was 'set' to be confirmed... yet still hasnt been... last minute hic cup ?

• If he doesn’t go to QPR we return to the holding pattern which is ‘GA is a great young manager and any of the 40 or so clubs that change managers in the next year would be lucky to have him.’

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Cue it being announced in the next 10 minutes, but.... Warburton hasnt been confirmed yet, first thing thing this morning it was 'set' to be confirmed... yet still hasnt been... last minute hic cup ?

QPR probably asked him to sign a six game contract, so they do not need to pay him off when they get trigger happy.

• edited May 2019

Millwall is the only Championship job that seems like it might come up at the moment, and I can hardly see him going there. As for the top end of League One, nothing unless Sunderland fail to go up (here's hoping) and Jack Ross gets the boot - and the biggest club in the world aren't going to appoint what in their entitled minds is probably a Sunday league manager.

• Well, I didn't spot Gareth at Cressex filling station, where I camped out most of the day in hope of seeing the next signing! At circa 18.25, I did see Mr Ainsworth on my way home. He was locking the gates to the training ground, as such, was last one out the door. Reads two ways:
    1) Working his self in to the ground in preparation for next season.
    2) Last one out, cos he was clearing his desk & didn't want anyone to see him loading his BMW with his box-files and cardboard boxes?
    I'm getting a festival tent to pitch outside the training ground gates.

• It's classic: one thumbs up means I am staying put and looking forward to next season two thumbs up means me and dobbo are hoping les Ferdinand will get to make the decision at QPR! Body language says it all.

• Anything is possible in football, Liverpool just proved it!

• @aloysius said:

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I am pretty sure the new manager is already in the building or has been in the last couple of years.

Why do people keep saying this? People kept saying it for Hayes, and now the same.
    Who? Bloomfield? Based on some casual coaching, and being here years?!

From what we know of the way the board operates, I would say it's a racing certainly that they will look to promote from within if Gareth goes. Their reasoning will be thus:

:: The player knows the club so can operate effectively from day one, particularly when it comes to releasing and renewing contracts over the summer
    :: The player understands the financial constraints we are under well so won't moan about not getting a transfer budget
    :: The player will be able to 'continue Gareth's legacy' so will come with instant popularity, conferring that by osmosis to the board that picks him
    :: The player will be inexperienced so will only ask for a tiny salary, knowing this is a remarkable opportunity to manage a League One club at the beginning of their career
    :: The club will be able to save at least one and potentially two salaries by making the player into a player manager (I can also see us promoting a player coach from within)

For those reasons as soon as Gareth goes I fully expect the club to announce that Matt Bloomfield is the new player manager and Marcus Bean the new player coach.

So maybe not correct on Bean then ;)