Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• That’s true. He could just have been lying

• It does seem very odd that QPR took six weeks to finally hire a guy who was available immediately.

So putting two and two together and possibly getting 171, could it be that Gareth was a serious option that they were waiting for but at the last minute they sought to impose a condition that John Eustace should stay as number two and Gareth was not prepared to abandon Dobbo.

Wild speculation I must confess.

• @Malone said:
    @marlowchair doesn't speculate remember.

So obviously something changed after his very certain declaration.

No-one second guesses Gareth Ainsworth, not even someone as in the know as @marlowchair.

@NorsQuarters: brilliant punning but I’m intrigued by @ValleyWanderer’s reference to a job search. Must have missed that either because I’d already left on Saturday or because my hearing occasionally loses battles with the ambient cacophony of the Vere ! Anyway, good luck with that. You have remarkable enthusiasm and dedication to the Wanderers for one who is based so far away. Is there any likelihood as a result of your job search that you may not have to travel so far to get to games in future? Good luck with it, anyway. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

• So glad I didn't go full beans at the betting shop.

• I heard Joey Barton put a wedge on and is looking for @marlowchair

• Well the first cast iron certainty of the summer over with. Do we move onto Ruth and Tarpey now or a bit later?

• I see Dave Tarpey has been banging them in for Woking.

• Not sure about Ruth.

• Are people just choosing to ignore what @marlowchair actually said about Gareth? Are the same people assuming that because it now seems extremely unlikely that he'll go to QPR, that he'll definitely stay at Wycombe Wanderers?

• Just for the avoidance of doubt @YorkExile I am ignoring what @marlowchair said about Ainsworth because it was speculation fuelled by a bitter hatred of a couple of Trust board members.

• edited May 2019

@YorkExile , I posted earlier saying yes, he didn't actually name QPR.
    But he seemed certain he's off, talking of trying to enjoy his "last two games as our manager" and the QPR gig was by far the most obvious one.

He also said he doesn't "speculate", which would point to there being a done deal somewhere, possibly from our board actively looking to move him on for the compensation (which Marlow has alluded to). QPR would have made sense as a done deal.

Unless of course he has actually turned them down, which would seem bonkers from all sides.

• if Warburton gets the job it's not impossible to believe that it was offered to Ainsworth he turned it down. It doesn't mean he's not going somewhere else, but QPR and Blackburn are the places he's most likely to leave Wycombe for i think.

• my belief that Ainsworth would get the QPR job was only ever based on a hunch. I will be delighted to be proven wrong (and the fiver I've lost to the bookies seems a small price to pay)

• @Malone - There are a couple of reasons why Gareth would turn QPR down. Firstly, as @DevC suggested he may have been under a requirement to have John Eustace as his assistant. Secondly, the search for a new investor may be looking promising (as intimated by Stroud in his recent communication) which would perhaps significantly improve the budget for next season.

There is also the possibility that QPR refused to pay the compensation required under his current contract.

Or Gareth could just be waiting for the Chelsea job to be vacant!!

• To be fair Marlow did name QPR. personally I wouldn't take him too seriously though.

On more important matters, we'll see what Gareth's intentions are in the next few days.

Going back to Tarpey. He was back at barnet for the end of season but according to his twitter turned down a new contract there "for personal reasons".

• I can't recall a compensation issue stopping many managerial "pluckings" from smaller teams. Or how watertight such a supposed clause would be.

Why on earth would QPR dictate who has to be a new manager's assistant?! That'd be bonkers. Even United didn't do that, a club which might have had reason to do so following the Fergie era.

Let's hope that it's the investor angle is so promising that it's that reason. But maybe if that was the case, Gareth would have said that after the game on Saturday, unless we think all these conversations have been whizzed through on the sunday?!

• While discussions are continuing (one would hope with a sense of considerable urgency) there is no way anyone with Ainsworth’s nous is going to mention or make the merest allusion to investment prospects.

• @micra said:
    While discussions are continuing (one would hope with a sense of considerable urgency) there is no way anyone with Ainsworth’s nous is going to mention or make the merest allusion to investment prospects.

His post match interview was quite about having transfer targets ready based on decent investment, some money and bugger all. While he could still be tempted away he certainly hadn't decided it was his last game. He was also complementary about the board and there role in the successful 5 year plan, unlike suggestions he hates them all. Marlow listens at the door successfully on occasion but always strays in to speculation.
    Ainsworths nouse would also have meant that he would have had severalquestions for Qpr if they asked for him.
    Also no guarantee Dobbo would have gone with him if given a chance to manage here.

• edited May 2019

@strongestteam Agree regarding post-match interview, but his interview in the Caledonian Suite after the match, during which he seemed blindsided by an unexpected and direct "are you leaving?" question from the interviewer, suggested that he was on his way to pastures new. Rather than saying he would be staying, for now at least, or that nothing was certain, he told the interviewer it was an unfair question and that he did not want to say anything at the time as we should be celebrating staying in League One, from which many inferred that he did have something to say but did not want to say it as it would have put a downer on the celebrations.

• @Malone said:

Why on earth would QPR dictate who has to be a new manager's assistant?! That'd be bonkers. Even United didn't do that, a club which might have had reason to do so following the Fergie era.

Interesting though, it is being reported that Eustace will be Mark Warburton's assistant!

• @mooneyman , either this Eustace guy has an incredible hold on the club, or Warbs doesn't have a best man from previous gigs.

• edited May 2019

@StrongestTeam , I quite like the idea that marlow chair literally "Listens at the door".

It's far less sinister than either someone very close to the running to the club leaking it, or him being on the board himself.

• Just had a look at the QPR Twitter and hadn't realised Miguel de Souza was their women's team manager.

• @DevC said:
    To be fair Marlow did name QPR. personally I wouldn't take him too seriously though.

On more important matters, we'll see what Gareth's intentions are in the next few days.

Going back to Tarpey. He was back at barnet for the end of season but according to his twitter turned down a new contract there "for personal reasons".

Interesting that you @DevC are accusing of talking BS, with the mindless rubbish that you spout.

• @Malone said:
    @StrongestTeam , I quite like the idea that marlow chair literally "Listens at the door".

It's far less sinister than either someone very close to the running to the club leaking it, or him being on the board himself.

I always thought he had a bug secreted in the Boardroom.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

I always thought he had a bug secreted in the Boardroom.

That's no way to describe a trust director

• edited May 2019

@DevC said:
    To be fair Marlow did name QPR. personally I wouldn't take him too seriously though.

I found this mention from marlow (see down page, as my quoting is out of sync)

If he actually did name QPR and it doesn't come about, I dare say Marlow has 2 options
    1) disappear completely to let it die down (strong favourite)
    2) go heavy on the "things changed" angle - a favourite of ITKs.

• Good to see Mr @Bacon_Sandwich that when God was handing out wit, you appear not to have hogged the queue

• @marlowchair said:
    You assume it’s the first time he’s had the opportunity to leave for QPR .

But to be fair,you don’t allay any accountability or responsibility at the feet of The chairman or board for our decline in various facets of our club in event years at all, so I understand it’s a massive stretch for you to believe the state of them and the club would have any bearing on our manager finally saying “ enough “.

QPR mention.