Skip to content

The out of contract thread

13»

Comments

• Perhaps this post should be a new thread but related to WHO we keep is FORMATION.
    Blades have done wonders with a big back three where the two outer players drive forward, proved largely unplayable for Championship opposition. We could play Jason Mac, Tools and Sido in that format to great effect. This would provide space for an additional mid field play maker as one of a mid field five ( an area really lacking at the moment) say bring in Fred, retain Gape, plus Thomo and perm any two from Harriman, Paris, Blooms, Nick F. Bayo and either Scotty K or Samuel up front and it looks ok to me.
    But then Gaz will sadly never drop a fit El Abd.
    Will miss Beano and big Yves, Shame Tys and Darius C are broken as they were probably the classiest players on our books.

• It's a plan @perfidious_albion but could Macca not be utilised as one of the wing backs leaving GA's mate Adam as part of the back three? No room for JJ at all? And is Tyson permanently broken?

• @Wendoverman said:
    It's a plan @perfidious_albion but could Macca not be utilised as one of the wing backs leaving GA's mate Adam as part of the back three? No room for JJ at all? And is Tyson permanently broken?

Blimmey I had already forgotten about JJ. A bench warmer now, found out for pace at this level time and time again, even his positional sense can’t cover this up.
    I think the back three format have to be athletic to cover the ground so that precludes El A for me.
    I fear Tyson’s legs have gone, much like CM-S, where pace was a major part of their game.

• Not sure what some see in Darius, had one good game, one bad one and not much else, might make some sense to let him train with us and a very short term pay as you play deal if he is fit and interested, another tear straight off would be barmy. A few of the others you'd keep if cheap and they want to stay, no doubt someone will be along with all the insider info soon enough.

• Losing Gape would be a major blow. He and Thompson have been magnificent and easily the most effective unit in the team, with the exception the right flank of Macca and Fred until January. I’d hope we might make savings elsewhere in order to boost his wages. I wonder if there might also be a case for making him matchday captain and El Abd club captain if Bloomfield did retire (although I do t think he will).

Personally I would release Tyson and Bayo. It is a shame but for the most part they haven’t been effective enough. And would Bayo not fancy a season in the MLS or something? Surely he could get a deal there on much more money.

Gareth and the team have done a superb job to get us in the division and stay up. They probably have an even tougher task to achieve the same next season given that the squad needs quite a big refresh.

• Not sure why a 500 club hasn't already been announced, I get that the share scheme is complicated while ownership was in question but wasn't the idea of the 500 club that some people preferred to contribute to the playing side anyway

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I don’t expect Yves Ma-Kalambay, Cameron Yates, Ben Frempah, Darius Charles, Marcus Bean or Nathan Tyson to be offered new contracts.

I am led to understand Michael Harriman has already rejected an offer a new contract and expect he will leave.

I wonder whether there is a clause in Dominic Gape’s contract which will see it extended for another year. If there isn’t any such clause, I would expect him to leave.

I also expect Paris Cowan-Hall and Scott Kashket will leave whether they are offered new deals or not.

I am hopeful Adebayo Akinfenwa will sign a new one-year deal.

I expect Craig Mackail-Smith will leave the club by mutual consent this summer, despite having another year on his contract.

On this basis, we would be left with the following squad of 11 players;

Goalkeeper: Ryan Allsop
    Defenders: Jason McCarthy, Joe Jacobson, Adam El-Abd, Anthony Stewart, Sido Jombati
    Midfielders: Curtis Thompson, Matt Bloomfield, Nick Freeman
    Attackers: Adebayo Akinfenwa, Alex Samuel

This is apocolyptic thinking...

• I think we are really missing CMS, in my mind a true striker who has goals in him.
    Who many times has he been used upfront, as a striker this season? Mainly used on the right in a front three?
    Think that has also been the case at Notts County, did not play all games upfront or as striker.
    He has now 2 goals in 2 games for Notts County.

Take a look at his goal against Scunthorpe, this was after Allsop was sent off.
    One of the goals of the season for me:

• It us worth mentioning that Bayo is still our top scorer this season. Not that he is anywhere near 15-20 goals, but a bit more of the rub of the green and he would be much closer to that range. I would keep him for sure, as he will always offer something different, whether it is plan A or plan B.

• Im also in the keep CMS camp

• I'd imagine CMS isn't really in it for money, probably made a hefty wedge at Brighton. If he gets a guarantee of more football in League 2, my guess is he'd take it.

• @raglan said:
    I think we are really missing CMS, in my mind a true striker who has goals in him.
    Who many times has he been used upfront, as a striker this season? Mainly used on the right in a front three?
    Think that has also been the case at Notts County, did not play all games upfront or as striker.
    He has now 2 goals in 2 games for Notts County.

Take a look at his goal against Scunthorpe, this was after Allsop was sent off.
    One of the goals of the season for me:

I had forgotten that sending off of Allsop. A true Sunday pub league wipe out of a forward!

• @raglan @holmerblue me too and the Scunthorpe goal would have been my goal of the season.

• So that’s definitely CMS re-instated then and playing as a central striker under the new manager.

• Allsop doesn't have a great time of it against Scunny, does he? Still, I suspect he won't have to worry about playing them next season...

• Watching the replay of allsop's red card. Exactly the same tackle as on Saturday at Wimbledon except a yellow card. !!!!!!! We need another keeper.

• and the red card given against Scunthorpe by Alan Young was rescinded by the FA.

• correct decision of a yellow card against AFC W

• Really the major factor to all this, one one of 2. Gaz staying. If if goes, he’ll sign gape for sure at qpr and sign Fred

• .....and if he stays (and we get new external backers)?

• ......he’ll get Gape to put pen to paper and sign Fred.

• Evidently this Fred will not be derailed either way.

• I'd take a very dinma view of things if it did, so onya bike with your puns.

• Dom going would leave a gaping hole in our midfield

• I agree, but as a Freeman, he has a right to go.

• If we are to survive as a fan owned club, we are going to have to get some transfer fee revenue in the future.

Solution is obvious. Sign Scotty and Paris on new contracts , play them together and hope that partnership becomes a Kash Cow.

• Imagine if Gaz left and then signed Gape and Fred!!

That'd be a kick in the bahooky!

• Gape is League 1 at the best so that's not gonna happen, the only player we have who could play in the Championship is Jason Mc Carthy and possibly Curtis Thompson in a spoiling midfield role I think he is that good at times.