Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• Just wait til the season's over @glasshalffull then the conjecture, rumour mill, wild speculation and general hysteria really kicks in.

Unless we go back to talking about old punk bands at the Nag's Head again to pass the time.

• bring back the "guess the power station" thread...

• I'm almost disappointed I've already got my season ticket. No chance to wonder when it might turn up or which member of the squad might personally deliver it.

• I guess I could repeatedly ask when the fixtures are released, despite the date having been clearly publicised already.

Still, we've still got "why no August Bank Holiday Monday game?". They can't take that one from us.

• bookies odds are driven by weight of money and we know that next manager markets have low volume of bets.

To be honest Gareth to QPR has ring of truth about it, but it would be amusing if part of the reason for Gareth becoming favourite was weight of bets from Wycombe fans based on a rumour.

• We certainly don't want to run out of summer threads! Thankfully, in addition to the above, we have the following:

1 - Away Kit Release. Pink and brown quarters are a disgrace!
    2 - New takeover offer by Czech crystal baron. Problems with the bid are seen by the Gasroom with exceptional clarity.
    3 - Preseason friendly 1-0 defeats to Our Sacred Mother Nunnery and East Thurrock Over 60s Walking Football Club. We are going to get slaughtered in League One!

• Mine wasn't based on a rumour, just a gut feeling and putting 2 and 2 together

Just feels like his time

• I agree with that @eric_plant . There is a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest it might be time

QPR have taken a long time to fill their role. Makes sense if they are waiting for a guy currently in work, not so much if not. The only contender in the betting lists in a role is Gareth.

Even if funding was static, Gareth has overperformed on an extended basis. getting into to League 1 was remarkable, staying up even more so. Hard to see how he could better that next season

And then of course it appears likely that the budget is likely to be cut significantly next season. that carries a high risk of being relegated. Would be surprising f Gareth wanted to risk that blemish on an otherwise outstanding c.v.

• @Shev said:

3 - Preseason friendly 1-0 defeats to Our Sacred Mother Nunnery

To be fair they've got a lot better since Gary Monk took over

• Winning is a habit.

• Heard they're getting Gabriel Jesus on loan

• Derek Adams to East Thurrock Over 60's Walking FC might be good to start. It would give us another source of Gasroom gossip!

• @DevC said:
    I agree with that @eric_plant . There is a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest it might be time

QPR have taken a long time to fill their role. Makes sense if they are waiting for a guy currently in work, not so much if not. The only contender in the betting lists in a role is Gareth.

Even if funding was static, Gareth has overperformed on an extended basis. getting into to League 1 was remarkable, staying up even more so. Hard to see how he could better that next season

And then of course it appears likely that the budget is likely to be cut significantly next season. that carries a high risk of being relegated. Would be surprising f Gareth wanted to risk that blemish on an otherwise outstanding c.v.

Unlike you, I haven't been saying it every time a job in the football league becomes vacant

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'm almost disappointed I've already got my season ticket. No chance to wonder when it might turn up or which member of the squad might personally deliver it.

I haven’t got mine yet. Disgraceful. Sack the board! Sack the office staff! Sack Rome!

• I really hope he goes to QPR, for his career and for us as a club ... a fresh face and voice is probably needed and we have just scraped home possibly on GD which is a massive achievement and one he probably won't be able to improve upon next season without serious investment.

• Interesting that Marcus Bean talked at length about GA to QPR:

https://www.lovesportradio.com/news/love-sport-exclusives/gareth-ainsworth-would-love-qpr-job-and-deserves-opportunity-marcus-bean/

Surely he would not make those quotes without Gareth's blessing?

• He's gone out ever so slightly again. Now 1/2.

• I hate to read too much into these things and I hope I'm wrong, but this all sounds rather like the beginnings of a goodbye

• Gone.

• He's made quite a few references to achieving the 5 year plan in recent months

It's one of the things that's given me the feeling that his time at Wycombe is drawing to a close

He really deserves a brilliant send off so if possible it would be great if something could be announced before Saturday if he is on his way.

I suspect the fact that we are not mathematically safe has somewhat put paid to that

• You can read this two ways, either a farewell statement or you can focus on the word "US" i.e. including Gareth they start planning for next season next week. Difficult to know, the one thing I will say though is IF this is happening and he is going to QPR and its a done deal WHY have we not have any statement from the club confirming permission has been granted for Gareth to talk to them in the first place? It could of course be nonsense, in which case the club do not need to issue a statement for something that is not happening. I hope its the latter...

• Yes agree, it would be a fitting send off, as we achieve safety and in effect complete the 5 year plan - although you could argue it was to be sustainable in league 1, which we're definitely not quite there yet!

I'm a little scared for next season I'll be honest. Especially if a rookie like Bloomfield comes in, and has to leap into dealing with agents and other clubs, unless he's been taking a bit of an apprenticeship from Gareth and Dobbo!

Living so far away, I can't see him matching their incredible work with the scouting either... but hey, we'll enjoy the summer first!

• @HG1 said:
    You can read this two ways, either a farewell statement or you can focus on the word "US" i.e. including Gareth they start planning for next season next week. Difficult to know, the one thing I will say though is IF this is happening and he is going to QPR and its a done deal WHY have we not have any statement from the club confirming permission has been granted for Gareth to talk to them in the first place? It could of course be nonsense, in which case the club do not need to issue a statement for something that is not happening. I hope its the latter...

Imagine if they announced that, and then we somehow miraculously went down this weekend, could you imagine the uproar?!

I would love for Gareth to get the send off he deserves, and if he's leaving would prefer to know before Saturday. If we had drawn last week, I think we would've heard something concrete by now.

• edited May 2019

We're not going to go down though. We'd need a 12 goal swing AND other results to go against us too. We're safe.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    We're not going to go down though. We'd need a 12 goal swing AND other results to go against us too. We're safe.

Oh, agreed. But Gareth has been talking about it not being "mathematical" yet so it would be somewhat against that if they came and announced that he was off. As much as I would like them to announce it beforehand (if he is off), I'm not sure they will till it's absolutely 100% a certainty

• Drifting in the betting odds: Out to evens with SkyBet now.

• QPR have made it clear Gaz is not on their wish list. The bookies odds are all driven by punters, mostly Wycombe fans ‘laying off’ to avoid total disappointment it would seem.
    I read his statements as a ‘come get me’ to any bigger club with a decent budget, must be fed up papering over the cracks with us.
    If he says great, if he goes life goes on. Blooms will get the job as the ( only) necessarily no cost option.

• @perfidious_albion , have they?
    Does Marlowchair know this?

• Marlowchair never said he was going to QPR

• @Malone said:
    @perfidious_albion , have they?
    Does Marlowchair know this?

Of course he does. He knew before QPR did