Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• @aloysius said:
    @Malone you're not thinking from a branding perspective. Who could resist a player manager and his deputy with the same initials? Matt and Marcus. Bloomfield and Bean.

Energy = MB squared.
    Who needs a five-star hotel when you've got B&B?
    Who needs a Ferrero Rocher when you've got an M&M?

Oh that’s inspired. But on your head but it if it comes to pass

• Quite the nightmare if their tracksuits get mixed up, though.

• The bookies have obvs been monitoring this thread as he's slipped to 1/3 favourite on some odds.
    Hope a few of you got in decently on 16/1!

• Hard to imagine Bloomfield turning the hairdryer on at half-time when it's all going pear-shaped. Wycombe through and through, but taking your first managerial job at this level, with the restrictions we have, would be rather jumping in at the deep end. Plus I sense he's not ready to retire just yet, and I'm personally not a fan of a player-manager beyond a very short-term measure.

• Dobbo all fkn day unless you haven't read the interview in the wanderer, but why wouldn't you have?

• Ian Hollway for me

• Has no one taken any notice of the players congratulating Marcus quite recently on completing/furthering his education to become a football executive...?

I’d hazard a guess that he’s trading in his football boots on May 4th for a smarter pair fit for a boardroom somewhere...

As for Blooms getting the job... Sometimes the romance of sport can get in the way of more considered decisions. Someone has already commented on it being a running jump into the deep end for MB and i would agree.

I imagine there would be numerous league 2 managers ‘locally’ within 50-75 miles of us that would have more managerial experience than our beloved Blooms. By all means get Blooms on the training field and in the backroom staff working with the lads and showing them what it means to wear the quarters, but I’d leave it at that for now...

As for Dobbo, he has been Gareth’s trusted partner for the whole ride and I have absolutely no doubt that GA will request to take him with him if he was to get the job.... And it would be too good of an offer to turn down. I imagine he’d be paid more as assistant at QPR than many/most league 2 managers and a handful of league 1

• or Paul Hurst

• @rmjlondon said:
    Ian Hollway for me

The default choice for lower league fans who don’t have a fucking clue what they’re talking about.

• a far better manager than GA in most peoples opinion

• The problem with Holloway, love him or hate him, is that there are tiers of managers for each division, and he has established himself as someone in that Championship retread tier. It would be difficult to get him to drop down to a low budget L1 team, in my opinion.

Paul Hurst could be a good shout per @rmjlondon, as his career needs rebuilding.

• edited April 2019

Not sure if he's already been mentioned, and it might be a long shot because I suspect sides higher up the league would be interested in him (he's generally had 'bigger' jobs in the past) but we could do a lot worse than Chris Powell. Always seems to conduct himself excellently - something we've become accustomed to in a manager under Gareth - and was doing very well at Southend until the injuries started mounting this season.

• @rmjlondon said:
    a far better manager than GA in most peoples opinion

We have no chance of hiring him. I’m not arguing he’d be a fantastic appointment, I’m saying it’s not realistic.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@rmjlondon said:
    Ian Hollway for me

The default choice for lower league fans who don’t have a fucking clue what they’re talking about.

You wouldn’t want a manager who’s had 3 promotions (2 of which were into the premier league) to manage Wycombe..?

I’d say he’s (possibly) one of the few managers that could be seen as similar to the one we have now in terms of honesty and passion for the game and his employers...

For the record, he’s not my first choice, certainly wouldn’t be my last choice, and I sure as hell would bring him in for interview if he expressed an interest.

• Didn't Holloway turn us down once before, or is my mind playing tricks on me.

He'd be awful.

• @th100 said:
    Not sure if he's already been mentioned, and it might be a long shot because I suspect sides higher up the league would be interested in him (he's generally had 'bigger' jobs in the past) but we could do a lot worse than Chris Powell. Always seems to conduct himself excellently - something we've become accustomed to in a manager under Gareth - and was doing very well at Southend until the injuries started mounting this season.

Another great shout.

• @rmjlondon said:
    a far better manager than GA in most peoples opinion

Who are these "most people"? Not your mates down the pub by chance?

• @rg9wwfc said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@rmjlondon said:
    Ian Hollway for me

You wouldn’t want a manager who’s had 3 promotions (2 of which were into the premier league) to manage Wycombe..?

I’d say he’s (possibly) one of the few managers that could be seen as similar to the one we have now in terms of honesty and passion for the game and his employers...

For the record, he’s not my first choice, certainly wouldn’t be my last choice, and I sure as hell would bring him in for interview if he expressed an interest.

I’d take him in a heartbeat. We have no chance of hiring him though.

• Go easy with the head buts @bookertease !

• Although it would clearly be heartbreaking to lose GA, and the squad unity that he has built over the last 7 years, and his passion on the touchline. it would be interesting to see the change. I certainly wouldn't be against a better style of football.

Paul Hurst would be the choice for me. A good manager at this level who needs to make his name again after the Ipswich calamity.

• I'm not sure about the "better style of football" - sure everyone would like to see more skill than hoofball, but can we afford the players to play that style to a winning degree? It's more the "dark arts" that I'd like to see the back of, if GA were to leave. That said, he'd still be a big loss to the club.

• any new manager would have to come cheap and in all likelihood be prepared to work with a very small budget

• Unfortunately, “heartbreaking” has become a devalued word. Sad, certainly, and I have spoken on here before about the difficulty of getting my Wanderers obsessed head round the concept of a football world without Gareth Ainsworth and everyone (players included of course) associated with the present regime.

But change can be positive and new perspectives interesting. IF it happens, let’s embrace it and look forward to fresh ideas, some different players and, who knows, an equally (or perhaps, more) successful outcome next season.

Having said all that, I will be absolutely delighted if Gareth decides to stay.

• QPR have not made an approach for Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth, London Football News understands.

• @yorkyblue , they obviously haven't got our inside knowledge have they :)

• @PBo said:
    I'm not sure about the "better style of football" - sure everyone would like to see more skill than hoofball, but can we afford the players to play that style to a winning degree? It's more the "dark arts" that I'd like to see the back of, if GA were to leave. That said, he'd still be a big loss to the club.

Yep, that's the one thing I'd like to see go out the door with Gaz. Still much rather keep him though.

• Who have the bookies got odds on for the QPR job today?

• Have they tried David Moyes yet?

• I’m not saying that GA won’t leave because I genuinely have no idea, but I find it interesting that a couple of speculative posts from not necessarily reliable sources can lead to so much conjecture. I guess that’s what this forum is all about, but personally I prefer to wait till we hear some official news.

• @glasshalffull , get a few hundred on son.

It's a no lose.
    If it happens, you're wad in.
    If it doesn't happen, marlowchair forever is discredited.