Skip to content

Luton and Barnsley promoted

Well done to those two (with nose held as I say this with regards to Luton).

Sunderland may not be as motivated against Southend on Saturday now...not that it should matter. Those poor Sunderland fans may have to suffer through at least one more season of their massive, Brazilian-like club being forced to slum it with the tin-pot League One teams that are so far beneath them.

We will still have two (at least) of Sunderland, Portmouth and Charlton in our division next year, though I think the clubs coming down appear weaker than those going up.

At the other end, Bury sealed their promotion, so we will at least have them and Lincoln.

Comments

• Impossible to call games at this end of the season isn't it? Who'd have thought that Mansfield (nothing to play for, no overnight stay, left their kit behind, ate their pre-game meal on the bus) would beat Bristol Rovers who were fighting for their football league lives?!

• So true @floyd. With these mid-table teams, you never know if they are already on the beach or not. Hopefully Fleetwood can consider beating Sunderland a job well done, and capitulate against us on Saturday!

• Thank Christ we don't need to win or even draw on Saturday to stay up, just not lose by a hat full.

• Have to wholeheartedly agree with the comments by floyd and Stewie63. End of season games are notoriously unpredictable and it’s a massive relief that we just need sensible score lines in the games that matter on Saturday.

• @floyd said:
    Who'd have thought that Mansfield (nothing to play for, no overnight stay, left their kit behind, ate their pre-game meal on the bus) would beat Bristol Rovers who were fighting for their football league lives?!

Some of us did mate

• “Sensible scorelines”. Nice one.

I’ve been looking for an alternative to “barring a miracle” or “not mathematically safe”, and this phrase perfectly nails it for me.

• Maybe we should sign up Michael Duberry, Luke Oliver and Mark Foran for the final game, just to make it interesting on the sensible scoreline front.

• @MindlessDrugHoover, it's funny how a few months ago it looked like we'd cruise to staying up and a dull end to the season looked forthcoming.

I'm sure we're all comfy with 1 dull-ish game now.

I'd also up the anti, forget those players, and get two or three of the biggest oafs in from the just behind the goal lot. That'd really spice it up.

• To be fair @MindlessDrugHoover we only need to name Yves in the starting line up and my overwhelming confidence will evaporate and i’ll Be a nervous wreck for at least 85 minutes

• How about 4-4-2 with Bayo and Yves up front? Corners would be a lot of fun!