Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

124»

Comments

• it baffles me that fans can't get behind Alex Samuel

He was released by Stevenage, we picked him up for nothing. Of course he's not the finished article but he works his socks off for the team, gives everything, has established a real rapport already with the club and fans and seems to be a model professional. He seems exactly the sort of player we should be looking to sign.

The self appointed Twitter expert analysts who write him off with a "he'll never be good enough for league 1" are absolute bona fide thunderc**ts

• I agree @Uncle_T . And the main reason why Samuel is often unable to turn the defender is the fact that he is usually being wrestled by much taller players. I used to refer to Steve McGavin as the nearly man great skill on the ball but often losing it as he approached goal. In a sense, although not as skilful, Samuel has also been a nearly man when it comes to goalscoring (so many near misses, “woodwork” strikes and the odd embarrassing tumble at critical moments) but I think that with more experience, better luck and some fine tuning, he could easily become a 15-20 man.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I would get slaughtered for saying this !! LOL

@WanderingDays said:
    It feels odd saying it, but the two players who cost us the game on Saturday were Samuel and Allsop. Who scored and saved a penalty respectively. But both goals were undoubtedly Allsop's fault (as well as the penalty), whilst Samuel missed two absolute sitters, both of them just before they scored their goals. I love Samuel, but he can't hit a barn door, and the only way he was going to score was if it hit him - like it did for the goal.

But it would not feel odd for YOU to criticise our players would it. The above is a tad more considered than Samuel 'won t score while he has a hole in his arse'

• Samuel generally finds himself with the ball but facing away from the opposition goal

I reckon Samuel could get a hatful of goals and assists if he had a 4 or 5 man midfield behind him making the runs.

• He can definitely improve his goal tally, I think we can all agree on that!

• I think allusions towards Beavon are quite apt...I have faith Samuel will come good.

• I really hope Samuel does kick on, and I am fully behind him. However, I also think Beavon was technically a far better footballer. I hope I am proven wrong.

• @eric_plant said:
    it baffles me that fans can't get behind Alex Samuel

He was released by Stevenage, we picked him up for nothing. Of course he's not the finished article but he works his socks off for the team, gives everything, has established a real rapport already with the club and fans and seems to be a model professional. He seems exactly the sort of player we should be looking to sign.

The self appointed Twitter expert analysts who write him off with a "he'll never be good enough for league 1" are absolute bona fide thunderc**ts

This is worrying Eric as I find myself agreeing with you again!

• I might add that I said when we signed Alex that I’d spoken to a guy I know who coached him at Swansea and he described him perfectly: ‘Great attitude, works his socks off, good with his back to goal and a really nice lad. However, he’ll never be a prolific goal scorer.’
    Let’s celebrate what he can do rather than what he can’t because, let’s be honest, if he ticked every box he would be with a much bigger club.

• @drcongo said:

Samuel generally finds himself with the ball but facing away from the opposition goal

I reckon Samuel could get a hatful of goals and assists if he had a 4 or 5 man midfield behind him making the runs.

Agreed, a three man back line ( a la Sheffield United), with five man midfield would transform things.

• Absolutely spot on @glasshalffull

I remember coming away from the Sunderland game thinking that Samuel had put in one of the most complete centre forward performances I'd ever seen from a Wycombe striker that day (and he scored Richie!).

The challenge is to get players around him who can add what he may be missing - I think we're some way towards doing that with the Bayo, Kashket, Samuel front three. I feel that Kashket is too wide at the moment though which limits his own effectiveness as our best finisher (IMO). So maybe you bring Samuel back a bit (almost into the number 10 role) and have him playing a little deeper behind Bayo and Kashket. Then rely on wing-backs to provide width.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • For me the biggest complement you can give to Samuel is that he has become good enough for people to turn on him.
    Let's face it. His signing wasn't done with any real fanfair, excitement or expectation. Compare it to the loan signing if Luke Bolton for example.
    He has become a key squad member who has many plus points. His energy fits the Ainsworth style and his hold up play is better than his size suggests.
    You must be a moron to take all that and then moan when more isn't forthcoming. But then the supporter base isn't short on morons.

• Surprising to hear you slating Wycombe fans again.

• to be fair @peterparrotface he's not slating ALL Wycombe fans

• You have to be a moron not to agree with RIM it seems.

• Good cross reference on surprise @peterparrotface . It is appreciated.

• @Malone give me strength

• @peterparrotface "it seems" being the key words there pal...

• Luke Bolton mentioned above, did he get injured and return to Man City?

• @perfidious_albion Certainly did get injured (at Shrewsbury), don't think he returned to City though.
    Disappointing time for him with us, three separate injuries, never really got going.

• He was in the away end with Darius Charles on Saturday so still here. Shame we saw so little of him though, yes.