Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• It’s just a bloody difficult place to play any football isn’t it, a bit like Accrington.

I don’t know what it is about those non-league type grounds but it always seems that the standard of the game seems to lend itself to the surroundings. More so given the typhoon that was blasting down the ground.

Not a game on which we should base too many judgements on in my view.

• edited April 2019

Now that we're safe - and what a great achievement that is, one everyone should be very proud of - we've got to start looking ahead to give ourselves the best chance of consolidating next season. New 'keeper, goalscorer, midfield back-up and probably a LB all needed for starters. Getting Fred back would be great too - still has a year on his contract but would Millwall potentially rip it up to offload him? He's clearly not rated there. Big question is how much, if any, transfer budget are we going to have? Not that we've done badly out of loans and frees...

• Big question, small answer @th100.

£0.00

• The ownership situation and what happens to Hause will need sorting first, otherwise it'll be buckets out , 500 club etc. Then you've got whether anyone wants to buy (or take) any of our players, contract renewals etc before they'll have an idea, and if its anything like last time letting those with more £ (everyone) mop up the best available players first. Bit of patience might be required this summer.

• We're still Trust owned and until that changes I'm happy (and fortunate) to be able to give what I can to help if required. Thank you GA and the entire WWFC staff and players for another fantastic season.

• I see that some of the major betting sites have removed us from the relegation odds! though Paddypower have us at 300/1. As much as I don't enjoy GA's style of play he has worked miracles and I do hope we can get some quality loans in during the summer.

• Just watched the highlights from yesterday. Is there any chance our goal keeper can move off his goalie and take command of his area. FFS. ??

• I meant goal line ???

• Apart from Blackman, Allsop, Brown and Ingram all are reluctant to come off their line to command area. Is this down to the goalkeeper coaching?

• Ingram is a far better goalkeeper now than when he left us !!

• I wondered about the coaching of our keepers but we've had two coaches in recent years and nothing has changed regards commanding the six yard box.
    I long for a day where a high loopy far post cross is not an almost certain goal.

• edited April 2019

Barry Richardson was a massive loss to this club, this other bloke who is manufactured coach and has never played in goal is the problem and also Alsopp is no better than Brown anyway.

• Interesting to compare Aaron Ramsdale, who’s been getting rave reviews since signing on loan for AFC in January, and Ryan Allsop.

Like Allsop originally, Ramsdale is on loan from Bournemouth. He is 20 years old, 6’2”, and has played for England in all the “Under” age groups, including all five matches (three clean sheets) in the U19 European Championship winning side in 2017. Bournemouth paid around a million pounds for him a couple of years ago.

I had a long ‘phone chat yesterday with a Bournemouth supporting friend, mainly about the forthcoming Swanage Jazz Festival but inevitably also talking about football and goalkeepers in particular!
    Ian said he remembered Rocky as being “OK” but that he was mainly remembered as being an extreme time-waster, collecting many yellow cards. They all do it, of course, and Rocky’s approach has become marginally more subtle of late but.........

I think someone said if we could have swapped ‘keepers and Piggot for whoever, we would have won on Saturday.

• I still haven't forgiven Ingram for the goal he conceded against Stevenage away, that being said, I thought Allsop's reluctance to come off his line for that second goal was inexcusable.

• ahhh...richie....say something positive about the players and coaches of the club you support. Go on.

• yes because Piggott was so good they took him off after an hour.

• edited April 2019

It feels odd saying it, but the two players who cost us the game on Saturday were Samuel and Allsop. Who scored and saved a penalty respectively. But both goals were undoubtedly Allsop's fault (as well as the penalty), whilst Samuel missed two absolute sitters, both of them just before they scored their goals. I love Samuel, but he can't hit a barn door, and the only way he was going to score was if it hit him - like it did for the goal.

• Only saw the highlights but have to agree about Rocky for the second...rooted to the spot. He does more watching the ball than stopping the ball in some games!
    As for Samuel...just getting his chance really...If he stays I would expect to see an improvement next year with experience. I could be wrong but I have heard rumours we might not be able to afford a proven 20 goal a season striker at the moment.

• @WanderingDays , I don't know about sitters. I thought he did very well to get the first goal, and did well to get such a connection for the one against the bar.

Allsop made a mistake, but it's a thankless task when a keeper is faced with a 40-60 ball like that. What should he have done? Somehow make up the extra distance Usain Bolt style? Just stand there and hope their guy bungles it?

Terrific pen save rectifying things.

• Are you talking about the penalty incident as a 40-60 ball @Malone ?
    From my view it was 80-20 in Allsops favour had he gone for it at the same time most other keepers would have done. It wasn't even a threat until he came out late.
    I suppose he could argue the injury he sustained in the tackle was a reason for him being rooted to his line for both goals.
    Good penalty save though along with an important one on one save just before half time.

• I'd have to see it again, but presumably he thought El Abd would do more than just watch it run through?

• Watch it again and see what you think. For me it never entered El-Abd's head that the ball wasn't going to just roll in to Allsops arms.
    Now Allsop and more so the the striker saved El-Abd from a dodgy moment by shooting early on the one on one before half time. Good save and no need for Adam to challenge when on a yellow

• Delighted to read the positivity on the Gasroom af> @Malone said:

@WanderingDays , I don't know about sitters. I thought he did very well to get the first goal, and did well to get such a connection for the one against the bar.

Allsop made a mistake, but it's a thankless task when a keeper is faced with a 40-60 ball like that. What should he have done? Somehow make up the extra distance Usain Bolt style? Just stand there and hope their guy bungles it?

I was unable to go to Wimbledon so can only comment on the brief highlights on Quest, but I agree with Malone.

• It could be said that the skipper was at the scene of a few crimes on Saturday. As well as the observations of @Right_in_the_Middle above he was the nearest defender to both their goals. Along with (the injured) Allsopp he barely left the ground for the winner.

• I would get slaughtered for saying this !! LOL

@WanderingDays said:
    It feels odd saying it, but the two players who cost us the game on Saturday were Samuel and Allsop. Who scored and saved a penalty respectively. But both goals were undoubtedly Allsop's fault (as well as the penalty), whilst Samuel missed two absolute sitters, both of them just before they scored their goals. I love Samuel, but he can't hit a barn door, and the only way he was going to score was if it hit him - like it did for the goal.

• Prob one of the worst pens Ive seen missed in 1000 games Ive seen watching WWFC

@Malone said:
    @WanderingDays , I don't know about sitters. I thought he did very well to get the first goal, and did well to get such a connection for the one against the bar.

• Can't be a save by the goalkeeper of the team you support eh Richie?

• Let's just remember (whisper the name) Beavon - for the best part of 18 months when he arrived he looked lively, worked hard, had skill, but couldn't put the ball near the net.

Until it seemed to just click. Let's hope Samuel can do the same, but then not leave in such acrimonious circumstances.

• @prufrock_91 , Beavon had tremendous technical ability on top of his workrate though. I'd say Samuel is more an Andy Baird type - though thankfully without his signature move of just inching the ball past a defender and getting utterly wiped out.

• I don't think of Baird and Samuel being all that similar. Both strong and committed, but different in style.

Baird used to get the ball and then try to run straight through the defender with it, whereas Samuel tries to run through the defender or use his arse to shove the defender out of the way before he has received the ball. In Baird's case it usually meant he was heading towards goal with the ball. Samuel generally finds himself with the ball but facing away from the opposition goal and most often unable to turn the defender, so his only option is to pass it to somebody else and he gets few shooting chances.