Skip to content

The out of contract thread

Comments

• I can't see any argument at all for keeping Tyson beyond lovely lad, and true Wycombe legend type stuff.

He's missed about 60-70% of the season injured, and hasn't been too effective in the rest. Unless he's really cheap and is happy to be a squad player, there's surely not a strong case.

The case for Bayo is much stronger. He's started loads of games, and has still been a key player for us this season. You'd expect him to resort more to what it's likely he originally was signed for, a Plan B - before he became far and away the massive and only plan!

Harriman has given himself half a chance of staying now.

Gape - no chance in hell he stays.

Charles - it's easy to forget we even had him to be honest - long gone.
    Yves - if he's cheap and helps behind the scenes - could even stay still.

Bean - has been wrestling with going for seemingly years now - finally time to go surely?

Kashket - a wildcard we all know can explode - definitely keep

CMS - It'd be a real turnaround to ship him out for months, and then see him come back as a real well used player. It just depends whether we can find a taker.
    @micra is spot on, that despite what some believe - he hasn't done much in league 2. A few goals at best, but often benched down there.

Samuel made him redundant unfortunately, as early season, he gave real hope that we could play some magic football. A bit overblown I thought, from a tiny handful of games.

• Just two goals for CMS at County, I think.

• Agree with your assessments @Malone but we’ve been pleasantly surprised before by Dominic Gape’s decision to sign a contract (following his loan spell) and I wouldn’t rule him out. He will no doubt have been waiting (a) to see if we could survive and (b) for confirmation that GA will not be moving on. As I’ve said elsewhere, I think it would be remiss of the club, if they know one way or the other, not to tell us before next Saturday. Or am I being completely unrealistic?

• @micra said:
    Just two goals for CMS at County, I think.

It's actually 3

• Apologies to CMS.

• I really rated CMS and expected him to score a few more goals at County, but it’s difficult in a squad that is battling relegation.

I’d welcome him back but wouldn’t expect him to be a regular player. If his wages are very expensive then understand letting him go.

• at his age in the final year of his contract, he isn't gonna walk away without his money and neither would anybody else ..... he has scored 3 goals in a shocking side and 3 big goals if they somehow manage to remain in the FL.

• Just re-read my post above re Dom Gape and would like to clarify that I was referring to GA when I said that it would be remiss of the club not to let us know about his future before what could be his last match in charge. Heaven forfend.

• Unlike you to scrimp on the punctuation in your post @micra!

• Yeah, was desperately looking to pop in a comma somewhere!

• @thedieharder said:
    I think the following will happen from May

Adebayo Akinfenwa - Stay
    Marcus Bean - Stay
    Darius Charles - Leave
    Paris Cowan-Hall - Leave
    Ben Frempah - Stay
    Dominic Gape - Stay
    Michael Harriman - Stay
    Scott Kashket - Stay
    Yves Ma-Kalamby - Leave
    Nathan Tyson - Leave
    Cameron Yates - Stay

Yves is coaching locally (chelsea youth GK's) so I think he'll stay if he can still fit it in with his/our plans and I don't think he'll demand too much wage wise, certainly not enough to price him out of staying as a back up...

Tyson is happy here so I think he's happy to stay. I don't think he's naive enough to want more than what he's on and we may be pleasantly surprised that he's happy to take a small cut with bonuses instead of a guaranteed wage, but they are professional footballers after all!!...

Bean has completed his education in the executive side of football so imagine he's got his eye on other things, plus I think they had to convince him to do one more year as it is!

Kashket must stay, with the finances the way they are, who on earth can we realistically attract early in the Summer..? He and Samuel are a reasonable(ish) start to the striker's room for next year and, with a bit of luck, we can loan some gems or get lucky with some free agents...

I'd take or leave Bayo, if he wants to stay then great but it will have to be on less money and I imagine he has no end of opportunities in the media side to match or exceed his current wage (without having to do pre season anymore!!)... Top top guy though!

Harriman has shown he still has a role, although i think he'll need reassurances bearing in mind they accepted offers (i believe) for him earlier in the year...

PCH can go for me but can probably still play a part as a squad player...

Charles has had a tough time with injuries, which could continue to be a headache in itself if we keep him, but maybe give him one more year with the hope he proves we were right to keep faith...

Gape will have better clubs willing to take him I'm sure so I fear we may have seen the last of him...

As for Yates, I reckon he's staying...

Fingers crossed we can work some magic in the loan market and through free agents but, yet again, we'll be at the back of the queue for the majority of the Summer...

• Charles has barely played for us, so it's not like Kashket's position, where we'd seen the best of him, then stuck by him with a long injury.

It'd make no sense to put a year's salary into a player who has probably not played more than 5 times in a season!

• @Malone said:
    Charles has barely played for us, so it's not like Kashket's position, where we'd seen the best of him, then stuck by him with a long injury.

It'd make no sense to put a year's salary into a player who has probably not played more than 5 times in a season!

Depends on the long term prognosis. The few times I watched him he looked a class act. Maybe a pay-as-you-play deal? Doubt he will get many offers given his season, unless of course his injury is pretty well career finishing, then obviously it will be a no brainer to let go.

• edited April 2019

He looked alright to me, but no better than our other centre backs. Certainly not too high up in the class stakes. I wouldn't think we'd take too many risks.

The whole point of the 1 year deal was that he was such a risk.
    To basically see that massive risk realised, and then still re-sign him would be madcap.

• It just doesn't seem wise to put money into keeping Tyson, PCH and Kashket. Surely Tyson plus one of the latter two won't be here in August.

• @eric_plant mentioned above that he foresaw a storm coming. I fear he is probably right. If so, finances and wage demanded more than playing ability may drive any contract renewals.

• I have no idea what will happen in the close season. None at all, but I'm willing to get angry about transfers, management and ownership and so on if required

• I believe Hannah is the next one!

• I don’t expect Yves Ma-Kalambay, Cameron Yates, Ben Frempah, Darius Charles, Marcus Bean or Nathan Tyson to be offered new contracts.

I am led to understand Michael Harriman has already rejected an offer a new contract and expect he will leave.

I wonder whether there is a clause in Dominic Gape’s contract which will see it extended for another year. If there isn’t any such clause, I would expect him to leave.

I also expect Paris Cowan-Hall and Scott Kashket will leave whether they are offered new deals or not.

I am hopeful Adebayo Akinfenwa will sign a new one-year deal.

I expect Craig Mackail-Smith will leave the club by mutual consent this summer, despite having another year on his contract.

On this basis, we would be left with the following squad of 11 players;

Goalkeeper: Ryan Allsop
    Defenders: Jason McCarthy, Joe Jacobson, Adam El-Abd, Anthony Stewart, Sido Jombati
    Midfielders: Curtis Thompson, Matt Bloomfield, Nick Freeman
    Attackers: Adebayo Akinfenwa, Alex Samuel

• your glass, sir, is half empty

• with that starting 11 Sido can finally slot into the number 10 shirt he's been coveting!

How big does an offer for Jason McCarthy have to be before we can't turn it down? 50K?

• Dry your eyes Benny/Che! Dreary stuff.

Not sure Kashket would reject a deal, Paris either. Not getting one is another story.

If we let so many go, we surely wouldn't then pay CMS off.

• @Malone I am not sure what leads you to believe my eyes aren't dry.

I am led to understand both Paris and Scott have been unhappy at their lack of playing time for a while now. I expect both to try their luck elsewhere.

I am not sure Craig is in Gareth's plans, as indicated by the loan move to Notts County. I think they're keen to offer him a deal whether they are relegated or not.

The biggest question is what Gareth himself intends to do this summer.

• Marlow chair has guaranteed the answer to your last question. Going apparently.

• Let's settle it all on here before the end of the season for Gawd's sake...then we can have some time off in the summer.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I don’t expect Yves Ma-Kalambay, Cameron Yates, Ben Frempah, Darius Charles, Marcus Bean or Nathan Tyson to be offered new contracts.

I am led to understand Michael Harriman has already rejected an offer a new contract and expect he will leave.

I wonder whether there is a clause in Dominic Gape’s contract which will see it extended for another year. If there isn’t any such clause, I would expect him to leave.

I also expect Paris Cowan-Hall and Scott Kashket will leave whether they are offered new deals or not.

I am hopeful Adebayo Akinfenwa will sign a new one-year deal.

I expect Craig Mackail-Smith will leave the club by mutual consent this summer, despite having another year on his contract.

I think Kashket would stay. I can't see another L1 club snapping him up and think he'll get more game time next year if he can stay injury free.

I can't see CMS leaving by mutual consent unless he lines up something more lucrative. We surely wont pay him off.

• I would certainly like PCH, Kashket, Tyson and CMS to stay...but if they do go...I expect GA to come up with the replacement goods as usual...

• GA won't be here though @Wendoverman. Instead of stuffing your face with crisps, pay attention to the postings of those in the know.

• I have a strong expectation that we'll still be a number of players short of having a full squad with just a week or so to go to the first match of next season.