Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• edited April 2019

I though it was because we started 4 mins late and had 5 mins added time, so still waiting for Phil to get back from his half time pie...? However, game started and still no Phil.

• Accy 4-0 up.

• All down to swapping into 3CR - they don’t care enough about Wycombe to swap back properly ?

• Who said Samuel couldn't score?

• Samuel will.not score goals at this level as long as Richie has a hole in the middle of his face.

• Well that was fun while it lasted

• @robin said:
    Accy 4-0 up.

Adams must be apoplectic. I hope Accy don't start time wasting!

• I told myself when Accrington scored a fourth i'd relax a little bit. Now they have and i still can't breathe!

• Accy 5-0

• Scunthorpe 1-3 Bradford.

• Scunny 2 Bradford 3?

• edited April 2019

Don't panic, a draw is not enough for Scunny

• The permutations. My head hurts!

• In a nutshell, we would need to lose to Fleetwood (say 4-0), Southend have to beat Sunderland at home AND Plymouth would need to win at home next week by 8 goals. In other words, we’re safe. Well done lads!

• Oh AND Wimbledon would need to beat Bradford away.

• WE ARE STAYING UP! (So long as we don’t lose a serious goal swing). Relief!

• No one at the club's going to say it for another week, which is fair enough. But that is job done. Well done everyone!

• Well done Gaz and all the players. That is a real achievement this season, and something we haven't managed in years

• Oh, and there's a sniff of a Luton bottle job on the cards. That would be absolutely sensational

• No one at the club's going to say it for another week, which is fair enough. But that is job done. Well done everyone!

• First time we've stayed up in League One since 02/03, is that right?

• I always felt we would just sneak it, but I never saw the Luton bottle job coming... That would be beyond hilarious. Still unlikely - I can see Portsmouth winning their 2 home games, but can Headington get that plucky away point? (assuming Barnsley take care of their business at Rovers).

• Incredible scrap going on to get out of L2, four teams can realistically still finish second or third (five if you count FGR), and five teams can still finish seventh.

Plus Yeovil have been relegated, which is nice.

• @floyd said:
    First time we've stayed up in League One since 02/03, is that right?

Yep

• Odds on Luton and Sunderland to blow it, us to win to stay up and Plymouth to go down? Now that would be a good Saturday.

• Bit weird to say it after a defeat but that’s a massive accomplishment. In the space of five years we’ve gone from staring into the abyss to staying in League One as a fan owned club. Everyone should be very proud of what the club has achieved.

Looking ahead, it is now a very important summer to come. The squad have struggled badly for goals since January and while Thomo and Gape are superb, back up in midfield is limited. Meanwhile at the back I think today showed once again that Rocky desperately needs to work on controlling his penalty area with more confidence.

• Typical game at Wimbledon to be honest, Horrible view as usual, even arriving 90mins before kick off, and basically having first dibs.

Wimbledon look pure league 2 with their style, and we struggled with their front 2.

But we're pretty much there, barring some 12 goal swing! Well done all.

Hope Sunderland stay down to have a proper go at getting there this year - not on a will it won't it international date please!

• It wasn't particularly impressive from us. Harriman, Thompson and Gape did well. Samuel should have had a hat-trick at least - but we didn't play with any fluency or real belief until we went 2-1 down. If we're struggling to win matches like this we will need significant changes made in the close season if we're going to avoid a very difficult campaign. I'm not sure we will be able to afford to be particularly sentimental when it comes to renewing some contracts. But that can wait a week. It's nice to have a final match of the campaign, for the second season in a row, with everything pretty much secured.

• Aye, there are some serious issues that need addressing in the off-season, but we don’t need to worry about that just yet.

• @aloysius , I thought Harriman had a particularly difficult first half. Their giant centre forward Hanson was creeping over his side to have a huge physical advantage, and they saw him as a bit of a soft target.
    With no pacy right winger, I wonder if gaz might have wished he'd put JJ back in for this one.

But generally a game of little quality. El Abd with a few dodgy moments, and Allsop glad of that rule change after clattering their guy clean through!