Skip to content

Player of the season?

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    When you say Dominic Gape you mean Dominic Gape who scored the goal that secured our promotion? That Dominic Gape? Perhaps quiet in a difficult season but at 24 I think he's worth persevering with myself...

Bizarre, Paris doesn't look delighted after being subbed and half of our fans want him out as a bad apple, Gape seems like a lovely bloke so he's boring and won't be missed.

• GA is tactically naive. Sido is on the way out. Bayo not good enough for League One. Thompson nothing special. Samuel will never score in this league. Allsopp time-wasting is often embarrassing. (Ok I'll give you the last one...)

• You forgot: Bloomfield - past it; JJ - too slow; El Abd - slow and gaff-prone; Kashket - powderpuff; Tyson - legs have gone.

No wonder we're bottom of the league with such an awful squad.

• I believe Bloomfield’s is ‘runs around like a headless chicken’.

• @Chris @MindlessDrugHoover but they are Ainsworth's mates.

• And of course they are only capable of 'dog shit football'.

• POTS: Dom Gape for me; and I am dreading the day, some time during the summer, when we may hear the news that he is leaving. Mr Consistency.

• Gape is arguably one of only two players alongside McCarthy, who higher clubs would even spend two mins looking at.

No disrespect.

• I think Thompson now falls into that category, particularly given the role he plays. Beyond that, taking ages into account, you may be right.

• I think @Malone was probably including Thompson but without naming him. Interesting (and a trifle worrying) that McCarthy and Thompson are on long enough contracts to make them attractive potential sources of sale income. But ironically, in the short term, the third front runner in the popularity stakes (Gape) may well move on sooner. Mores the pity.

• @Maline: ironic in the sense that a long(ish) contract carries the same risk of loss as the one that will shortly expire, albeit in different time frames.

• I understand where you are coming from @micra but, rather than finding it a trifle worrying, I find the fact that we have a couple of players who are potential sources of sale income to be a positive point, given that the club has very few other income streams at the moment. I wonder if their combined value would be enough to pay off the loan from Luby and Collis?

• Yeah, that thought was flitting around my mind, particularly with the alternative options at right back. In that respect however , I like to think that Harriman will complete his reincarnation as a left back/wingback (whilst at the same time having immense respect for JJ of course).
    I just didn’t like the way Harriman appeared to be getting sidelined, allegedly because he and/or his wife were not prepared to agree to a move (on loan, I assume) until the end of the season.
    Having said that, I don’t know Harriman’s current contract status.

From a practical point of view (ie in terms of importance to the overall performance of the team) Thompson would arguably be the least welcome loss.

I could imagine the combined sale of any two of those three would comfortably wipe out the balance of the American loan.

• @micra , I think Thompson has done really well, but I don't quite see him as a target for a higher league side. I think this division is his level, which is still a good level - it's no disrespect. Whereas some of our players are very much holding on to just about compete, for comparison.

• Not necessarily higher league @Malone.
    And, with at least 20% of the loan repaid (??), we are talking pretty modest price tags compared, for example, with the kind of fees a couple of Exeter players commanded in recent seasons. Most unlikely to happen, of course, but marginally more feasible than @Jonny_King’s beautifully crafted “Wanderer” style scenario !

• @Uncle_T said:
    I understand where you are coming from @micra but, rather than finding it a trifle worrying, I find the fact that we have a couple of players who are potential sources of sale income to be a positive point, given that the club has very few other income streams at the moment. I wonder if their combined value would be enough to pay off the loan from Luby and Collis?

If the person I spoke to last week is a reliable source, I think the loan may have been structured to make possible its repayment from monies still due in from the Ibe sell-on...

• Bristol Rovers will enjoy that story @HCblue

• If you vote jombati for POTS, does it make you a Sidophile?

• Sidista @OnOurWay, I'm one!

• Got to be McCarthy surely? Been consistently our best player in the vast majority of matches I've seen

• If Thompson doesn’t get Player of The Season then I hope he is voted Most Improved. Because he is.

• @micra said:
    If Thompson doesn’t get Player of The Season then I hope he is voted Most Improved. Because he is.

Thompson has been fantastic but Sido would have to be up there for most improved.

• Fair comment @StrongestTeam but I think Thompson’s improvement has been greater and more unexpected, given his “not rated” status before he joined us.

• @micra said:
    Fair comment @StrongestTeam but I think Thompson’s improvement has been greater and more unexpected, given his “not rated” status before he joined us.

Of course, I thought the trial and short term contract stuff was earlier than this season, remarkable rise really. Sido 2nd to that

• McCarthy is my player of the season because he is an amazing defender and very good going forward also, he is very consistent which sets him apart from players like Paris.

• So Thomo wins it, as announced pre match.
    And Gaz reveals he has been playing with a dislocated shoulder requiring surgery.
    Sido , seemingly a popular runner up, ends the season on crutches with a broken foot.
    These two show true dedication to the cause.

• Three players you’d really want to keep. A few others too! I’ll start the ball rolling with Nick Freeman.

• For me, it rather depends what the alternatives are, @micra.

But, in a vacuum: McCarthy.

• I’d included McCarthy in the three (as he’d been mentioned in the post preceding @perfidious_albion’s). I was thinking only of the present squad but I take what I presume to be your point - ie we may have attracted new investment in the summer and signed even better players than some of the current front-runners in the present squad. Phew!