Skip to content

WHC - Wimbledon

So relegation probably avoided. two games to go.

@Chris and @Wendoverman got the score right, majority got the result right.

@OxfordBlue goes seven points clear and firm favourite now for the win.

Special mention to Little Miss Kirkby for her first correct result prediction. if only dad @ryan_w_kirkby hadnt left her so far behind....

Pos Team Season Week Movemnt
1 Oxford Blue 48 4 0
2 DevC 41 -1 0
3 Mooneyman 38 3 0
4 ned Ludd 38 4 0
5 Forever blue 35 4 0
6 Micra 28 4 0
7 Twizz 27 4 0
8 NorsQuarters 21 4 1
9 HolmerBlue 18 3 3
10 cecil 16 -1 -2
11 Booker Tease 13 -3 -1
12 Shev 13 -2 -1
13 LX 13 -1 0
14 Chris 11 6 0
15 Uncle T 9 4 0
16 Dr Congo 5 4 0
17 Ox66 3 4 1
18 Wendoverman 2 6 2
19 Railway Steve 1 1 -2
20 Manboobs -1 4 1
21 York exile -3 -2 -2
22 Johnny King -5 4 0
23 Ryan Kirkby -11 1 0
24 Onlooker -14 4 0

Comments

• Is it bottom three or bottom four who go down?

• Wimbledon 1 - 1 Wycombe Wanderers

• 1-0 Wycombe

• Wycombe 1 - 0

• Wycombe 2-2 Wimbledon please

• Phew! As long as I finish above Plymouth I will be happy. Tough one I think wally will have done his homework I'll go 0-0 with fingers crossed we'll nick it.

• It’s 2-2 for me.

• 2-1, tense yo the last

• Wombles 1 Wycombe 1

• Wimbledon 1 Wycombe 1

• Still nervy last day.

Wimbledon 2-0 Wycombe

• Wimbledon 3-1 Wycombe

• Wimbledon 1 - Wycombe 1

• Btw @DevC , I went into Wycombe Homeless Connection today and put £20 on the table, explaining about the competition and wishing them luck with the fight against homelessness.
    They were delighted with the donation and thrilled that there was a friendly competition that contributed to their cause. It reminded me to thank you for thinking of those less fortunate as we have our fun with the guessing game.
    Cheers!

• If anyone wants.to support WHC in a more practical way they are looking for volunteers to fill some posts

Wycombe Homeless Connection are seeking an admin volunteer to support the team on Friday afternoons. If you fancy becoming a vital part of our office between 1pm and 5pm on the last day of each working week, please email Helen to apply or register your interest. You can also have a read of Charlie's experience or check out our website to find out more about what the role entails.

Here is your last reminder that there is less than a week left for you and your friends to apply to be our first ever Support Team Manager! If someone you know may be interested in this job vacancy, please encourage them to visit our website or email Helen; we'd be thrilled to hear from them!

• Thanks @NorsQuarters .

I am constantly amazed that the fifth richest economy in the world replete with pet pampering centres and private schools costing £40k per year is simultaneously prepared to tolerate and ignore thousands of people sleeping in doorways lacking the basic comforts of life with no hope. It is an absolute disgrace.

I salute the likes of @Twizz and Helen who are actually trying to do something about this. it really should be unnecessary - the Government should be sorting this - but in their absence it is wonderful that ordinary people are prepared to help.

This gives me a little chance to remind anyone (if anyone exists) who has entered the competition but hasn't quite got round to paying their "entrance fee" of £10 to WHC to please go to their website and do so. its a great cause. Thank you.

• Did you see the Ed Stafford '60 days on the Streets ' series on Channel 4 @DevC ?

I found it quite thought provoking and a possible reason why some are a little dubious about the status of some acting as homeless.

Certainly makes charities who can get to the real needs a better bet for donations.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I know what you mean but I like to think I can distinguish our own unwashed broken desperate homeless from the organised cardboard holding foreign beggar tourists and the delicately soiled homegrown chancers. But you are right charities are the best bet to make sure your money is going to the right people.

• I can't say I saw the programme @Right_in_the_Middle but there is no doubt that not all the people asking for money on the streets are genuinely homeless and no doubt that some of those who are genuinely homeless have addiction issues and hence will not use cash donated wisely and no doubt that some (although I would say a small number) prefer a homeless lifestyle.

No doubt that suitable charities are a better bet for donation than a guy begging on the streets although it doesn't do any harm to occasionally buy them a coffee or such like especially in the winter.

It brings us to a similar discussion that many have about those seeking asylum. There is no doubt that some, (perhaps even a majority) of those claiming asylum are actually not fleeing genuine persecution and in fear of their lives but instead are economic migrants. We may not like it but that is the reality and it is very difficult to differentiate them from genuine claimants.

So we have a choice. Do we
    a) help desperate people who have lost everything and are fleeing for their lives escaping persecution accepting that in so doing some others will exploit our kindness and jump on the bandwagon to achieve a better life.
    OR
    b) Are we so desperate to avoid being taken advantage of by economic migrants that we are prepared to turn away desperate people potentially returning them to their deaths to avoid any economic migrants getting through the system.

I would have thought a) was a no brainer but I fear I am in a minority in this increasingly harsh illiberal world.

Much the same applies to the homeless crisis. If the cost of resolving this issue and eradicating decent people who have taken a wrong turn in life (often through no fault of their own) having all dignity and opportunity removed is that some others will take advantage as well, frankly that is a price I am very happy to pay.

• Watch the three shows @DevC and see if your what harm would the odd cup of coffee do stays so certain.
    Whilst you can earn a decent living begging in big cities the real homeless get pushed further to the side. Until someone fixes the rental housing market lots are only one life event from joining them. The route causes of homelessness are not being addressed whilst we prat around with Brexit.
    Not sure why you wanted to add refugees to the issue but I don't see a link and fear I might have just opened the door for you to tell me why. Having sat for a couple of hours with a prominant campaigner on this that problem is on a whole different level.

• The UK's housing and environmental problems are never going to be fixed until it stops being perfectly normal for people to have 3+ kids.

I'm not an anti-natalist but it seems odd people are campaigning for the removal of plastic straws, whilst simultaneously asking for more housing to be put up in the countryside, and adding enormously to their carbon footprint by having a load of offspring.

• Not sure I see the downside of giving somebody a coffee on a cold day if I choose. I understand giving them the cash to buy one could be used for something else. Could you briefly explain if I missed something (or are we talking at crossed purposes)

The link for what it is worth is that I see people making excuses for why we shouldn't deal with both the homeless crisis and the refugee crisis on the basis of "oh yeah but some of them aren't genuine". In both cases that is true. In both cases for me the cost of doing nothing is far higher than the cost of doing something but that solution being abused by a proportion.

Very few of society's problems are being addressed while we are "pratting around with brexit" that is true. If however we go down the road of the right wing tories hard brexit, I do fear that the economic damage will reduce tax revenues and hence further reduce public spending on addressing the homeless issues while the reduction of employment and social security safety net favoured by that bunch is likely to only increase the number forced to sleep in the streets.

Harsh reality is that the shortage of housing @OxfordBlue is largely not being caused by too many kids but by the aging population. As people live longer, bedrooms once used by their now grown up kids remain empty for longer.

• @DevC said:
    There is no doubt that some, (perhaps even a majority) of those claiming asylum are actually not fleeing genuine persecution and in fear of their lives but instead are economic migrants. We may not like it but that is the reality

[citation needed] Especially as it's pretty easy to search for stats and find the opposite of your claim.

• @DevC said:
    Harsh reality is that the shortage of housing @OxfordBlue is largely not being caused by too many kids but by the aging population. As people live longer, bedrooms once used by their now grown up kids remain empty for longer.

So you would support a government policy of euthanasia to solve the housing crisis!

• yes @mooneyman that is of course exactly what I said......

I didn't make a "claim" @drcongo. By definition nobody knows how many asylum claimants are genuine and how many bogus. What I did do was accept the reality that some claimants are 100% economic migrants and others are somewhere along a spectrum towards that end. That number may be significant, it may be 50%. I don't know. I then went on to make it clear that it doesn't much matter whether the number is 25%, 50% or 75%. The price in my view of allowing some economic migrants to abuse the system in order to facilitate an asylum system that ensures that those genuinely needing asylum get it promptly and humanely is well worth paying in my view. We in the UK to our shame have a long way to go to get there. Our system is simply not fit for purpose.

• And unfortunately our island is not large enough to accommodate an unlimited number of economic migrants Dev, both in terms of size, infrastructure and finance.

• @DevC said:

It's one and the same.

The baby boomer population was the result of people having loads of kids. An ageing populating is one of the eventual consequences.

• edited April 2019

No one is talking about an "unlimited" number @mooneyman . That is just a Farage style scare tactic.

Re you saying then that in order to keep out economic migrants masquerading as asylum seekers, you are prepared to bar the doors to fellow human beings genuinely fleeing for their lives?