Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall

Comments

• @micra said:

@Last_Quarter said:
    It was one of those games where it needed something special to win it - luckily Jason stepped up for us when we needed it most. The difference in Walsall to the side we played earlier in the season was incredible - I don't think I've ever seen a team overhit so many crosses. We really had to dig in to see ourselves over the line - whatever you can say about this team though you can not question their character.

I suspect we can't afford him, but Andy Cook is worth a look in the summer if we're trying to replace Bayo. He had a great record at Tranmere, was good against us at their place, and at least offered some threat today when he came on.

Final word to Ainsworth today. I don't think there was much criticism on here, but he's taken some from some of the more fickle elements of our fan base during this poor run. We're so close to survival now, and when it comes, we should all remind ourselves what an amazing job he has done to secure it.

Excellent post, @Last_Quarter.
    I think you are right about Andy Cook. He has been a prolific goalscorer over the past three seasons (and played a major role in Tranmere’s recent success) but he signed a two year contract with Walsall at the start of this season. At 28, he is probably at or near his peak and, depending on the ownership situation, we are unlikely to be able to compete for his services. In any case, if Bayo stays (as now seems likely) the need for a replacement big guy up front is less obvious. What price that guy from Millwall who has always seemed to enjoy playing for Wycombe ?

We're pretty much a lower league 2 club/ possibly even non-league, with a fantastic manager. Ainsworth should get far more credit than he does.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Poetic justice. Didn't the Dons believe he wasn't up to L1 standard? Their loss, our gain.

“To be fair” many WWFC fans didn’t want him to sign for us even in L2. Including me, at the time.

D’oh.

• We're pretty much a lower league 2 club/ possibly even non-league, with a fantastic manager. Ainsworth should get far more credit than he does.

Are we? Our attendances rank us 17th in League One, and there's only 6 clubs in League Two with a higher average.

Our facilities are better than a fair few clubs in League One, and we've been in the Football League for over 25 years.

I don't understand how anyone can think we're naturally a non-league team anymore, or even belong in the bottom half of L2.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Could it be that Bayo scores the goal that relegates Wimbledon on Saturday, three seasons after scoring the goal (or one of the goals) that got them promoted ?

That'd be an absolutely glorious riposte, both against Wimbledon, and some of our own fans who have whinged he "Isn't league one" class on and off all season.

• If I’m the author to whom you re> @OxfordBlue said:

We're pretty much a lower league 2 club/ possibly even non-league, with a fantastic manager. Ainsworth should get far more credit than he does.

Are we? Our attendances rank us 17th in League One, and there's only 6 clubs in League Two with a higher average.

Our facilities are better than a fair few clubs in League One, and we've been in the Football League for over 25 years.

I don't understand how anyone can think we're naturally a non-league team anymore, or even belong in the bottom half of L2.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. You could have added that we’ve reached the semi finals of the two major knock out competitions, succumbing only to Liverpool and Chelsea, appeared in several play off semis plus two Wembley finals and won several promotions. At one stage we were the longest serving club in the third tier.
    Sometimes I wonder if people truly appreciate what WWFC has achieved since entering the FL. Our record is the envy of many FL clubs and rightly so.

• I’m confused (and slightly angered) by @prufrock_91’s post. What relevance has it to my post which he quotes or indeed to reality?

• I’m also puzzled by the way @glasshalffull is able to incorporate his own comments into the grey highlighted are enclosing the quote on which he is commenting. Maybe that only happens on my iPhone but it can be a touch confusing!

• If I've worked it out correctly, we've had 13 seasons in the third tier, 13 in the fourth. The non-league tag is long gone, save that for PNL.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bayo? No Richie says he's going and if that's not all the proof you need...
    @shev had a look for your shirt but obviously the excitement of the day distracted me. Thanks for the win are you sticking about for Wimbledon?

Sorry to have missed you @Wendoverman. We are still in England for Wimbledon, but will be down in Weymouth for a trip (in the rain evidently). It is our 7th anniversary, so I did ask my wife for a Wycombe win as a gift...hopefully she will oblige!

• I was there just last week Shev and please do enjoy the view from Nothe Gardens. How many long-standing football league clubs have never tasted a semi final in either if not both of the two major cups here in the UK, despite my grumblings, this is a special club.

• Thanks for the tip @fedup1980!

• My tuppence ha’penny for this thread...
    1) We are currently the “archetypal” L1/L2 yo-yo club.
    2) Away end to be re-named the “Your Tits Are Offside” Stand (that’s if a fanzine/podcast/blog doesn’t steal the name first).

• edited April 2019

Ah, sorry for the confusion, @micra et al. - I'm referring to the budget of the squad/ what we've paid for players.

We've not got anything like the budget of other League 1 teams, possibly not even most League 2 teams, we haven't paid for a player in ages, have arguably a worse squad than a year ago, yet are still battling with the best in this league. That is all down to Ainsworth's masterwork.

• Paid a fee for McCarthy I believe, even if it wasn’t a large one.

• I don't think we actually did, just gave a fairly hefty sell-on fee.

• I'd be surprised if we didn't put a bit of wad into McCarthy, certainly an "Undisclosed fee" job.

• I think that was more for them letting him go for free, than for us.

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalfempty said:

@HCblue said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    @glasshalffull I'm not sure you need to keep stating the obvious.

Observation says you may be incorrect.

Which points did you think people might’ve missed?

It was more that I perceive that the author often needs to keep stating the obvious.

I'm really not sure he does to be honest.

• @prufrock_91 said:

Behave yourself!

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I think that was more for them letting him go for free, than for us.

I'm pretty much sure we've paid a fee, as there was loads of discussions on it at the time, as it was just after we got the O Nien money in. Gareth saying that allowed us to bring McCarthy in.

• As well as Akinfenwa potentially getting his revenge on AFC Wimbledon on Saturday there’s also the chance to relegate their striker Joe Pigott.

I think it’s fair to say we definitely owe him one.

• @prufrock_91 said:

This is just a bizarre post. Have we even had more than 1 season lower than midtable in league 2 in about 20 years? The Torquay last day rescue mission season.

I'm struggling to understand how we're a lower league 2 or non league club?

You only have to compare our set up to most of league 2 to see that we're comfortably a top half league 2 table team at worst.

• We bloody well earned our place in the Football League, anyone talking us down as not being 'big enough' to stay there needs to have a word with themself.

• Perhaps the word 'club' was misused. My point is that we are hugely punching above our weight in League One with Ainsworth. The budget we have, and our squad, is barely a middling League Two one.

And, we didn't pay a fee for McCarthy.

• You seem certain on the latter.

• I was simply trying to agree with lots of posters of how well Ainsworth has done, but this has been lost across the internet. I must apologise.

• Hi guys, second visit this season, second 1-0 win from a free kick. Here are some thoughts.
    My team isn't Wycombe so obviously I'm not feeling the run-in as much as you all but I guess that means I can be impartial. I never felt Walsall were in it at all. It wasn't a classic but it was a solid win against a team battling for a point (certainly not the win).
    There was a bit of timewasting from our lot towards the end... And exactly the right way to play it, too.
    Thought all the defenders played excellently. Me and my son were excited to see Bayo starting. I've seen him play once at our ground, and obvs, he's a bit of a legend. He's a presence, for sure and did well to earn the Free kick... But I feel there's a a real quality link between midfield and attack missing because I'm not sure the forwards are good enough as things stand.
    Also, Ref and linos were poor today.
    I think the participation from the terraced stand is quality. Even the group of girls doing selfies in front of us joined in on the odd occasion, so fair play.
    Rooting for the blues for the final games.

• Nice one @downley

Season ticket next year?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Crap game, great result, brilliant atmosphere ! First half was very forgettable, 2nd half better... can't fault the effort though. One touch of class won it. I must say though, not everyone's cup of tea, but the drummer was great and didn't stop, which added to the atmosphere considerably.

Thanks buddy most people hate me but you know what I don’t give crap unless I’m singing and drumming etc that all that matters and Wycombe winning will stay up / so how it go WE R STAYING UP SO WE ARE STAYING UP ????