Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall

Comments

• @Shev it was great meeting and chatting with you, Mrs Shev and @NorsQuarters. Great you were able to see a win and hope you all enjoy the rest of your stay.

• Sorry to have missed you today @Shev, we went to the Vere beforehand but didn't spot you. Had to rush off afterwards to go to Thriller Live at Aylesbury. All the very best to you though.

• I did look out for you @Shev (or at least your shirt) but the Beechdean was exceptionally busy. Hope you had a great day out .

• Had a trawl though one of the Walsall forums (nicely designed) last night. Mostly about how poor they are but a couple of things.

I’d forgotten Jason McCarthy was their player of the season a year or so back (and they expressed surprise we could afford him).

They started the game with 6 defenders on the pitch, which they all thought crazy for a must win game.

Their starting shirt numbers added up to 236 (or some such ridiculously high number).

A LOT of respect for Bayo. This did make me think a little. His reputation is such that if he is likely to play the opposition manager has to devise ways to defend against him. Because he is unique in the game this will almost inevitably mean having to do something differently. This I think was apparent yesterday when Walsall’s tactics seemed all about stopping him rather than anything else.

Not sure the better teams at our level would worry so much but it does make me think if he wants to hang around we should give him another year.

• edited April 2019

@bookertease, have a listen to @bluntphil ‘s post match interview with GA if you haven’t already. It would seem keeping Bayo is very much on the agenda.

• @BlueBoy said:
    @bookertease, have a listen to @bluntphil ‘s post match interview with GA if you haven’t already. It would seem keeping Bayo is very much on the agenda.

Bayo has been and still is a brilliant signing. He still has the ability to cause havoc in opposition defences, he is a great influence in the Wycombe dressing room and a wonderful ambassador for us off the field. He’s loved by everyone (apart from most referees!) and it would be great news to hear that he’s extended his contract.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice that Jason's superb goal yesterday came from the ref FINALLY punishing a foul on the big man.

• @HCblue - we will try and make it happen next time around!

@ForeverBlue - I really enjoyed our chat, and your great perspective.

@ValleyWanderer - sorry to have missed you. It was great meeting last season. I hope you enjoyed your day, and that we can catch up next time.

@MindlessDrugHoover - no worries, though I would have like to have met - hopefully next time. I did make rather a scene when the goal went in, so maybe it is best to remain anonymous to the Beechdean!

• Bayo? No Richie says he's going and if that's not all the proof you need...
    @shev had a look for your shirt but obviously the excitement of the day distracted me. Thanks for the win are you sticking about for Wimbledon?

• Richie silently seething after yesterday's win. Only a referee appointment announcement will lift his gloom.

• Or a win for his boys tonight!

• I think Akinfenwa is our greatest ever signing

• @Wendoverman said:
    Or a win for his boys tonight!

Sadly, I think we'll all be cheering a Luton win tonight, won't we? However dirty it makes us feel.

• @glasshalffull said:

@BlueBoy said:

Bayo has been and still is a brilliant signing. He still has the ability to cause havoc in opposition defences, he is a great influence in the Wycombe dressing room and a wonderful ambassador for us off the field. He’s loved by everyone (apart from most referees!) and it would be great news to hear that he’s extended his contract.

I have quite possibly never agreed with you more than this. I love Bayo.

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    @glasshalffull I'm not sure you need to keep stating the obvious.

Observation says you may be incorrect.

Which points did you think people might’ve missed?

• @mindlessdrughoover yes. DDH hat trick. Long hot showers all round.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @mindlessdrughoover yes. DDH hat trick. Long hot showers all round.

Communal, or shall we save that for the final day celebrations?

Got a feeling Hylton is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

• @glasshalfempty said:

@HCblue said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    @glasshalffull I'm not sure you need to keep stating the obvious.

Observation says you may be incorrect.

Which points did you think people might’ve missed?

It was more that I perceive that the author often needs to keep stating the obvious.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think Akinfenwa is our greatest ever signing

When he retires we should permanantly name one of the stands after him.

• edited April 2019

I'd be proud to be a season ticket holder in the Akinfenwa Stand :smile:

• I agree that Bayo is one of the greatest, however, I feel that Gareth Ainsworth is probably our greatest for what he's achieved as a player and manager for us (including securing Bayo).

• Perhaps the Gareth Ainsworth Terrace? They love him on there! :wink:

• Facebook Terrace?

• @micra, you little rebel!??

• Bayo has been a massive signing for us and I would compare it to the Keith Scott signing first time around in importance.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    It was one of those games where it needed something special to win it - luckily Jason stepped up for us when we needed it most. The difference in Walsall to the side we played earlier in the season was incredible - I don't think I've ever seen a team overhit so many crosses. We really had to dig in to see ourselves over the line - whatever you can say about this team though you can not question their character.

I suspect we can't afford him, but Andy Cook is worth a look in the summer if we're trying to replace Bayo. He had a great record at Tranmere, was good against us at their place, and at least offered some threat today when he came on.

Final word to Ainsworth today. I don't think there was much criticism on here, but he's taken some from some of the more fickle elements of our fan base during this poor run. We're so close to survival now, and when it comes, we should all remind ourselves what an amazing job he has done to secure it.

Excellent post, @Last_Quarter.
    I think you are right about Andy Cook. He has been a prolific goalscorer over the past three seasons (and played a major role in Tranmere’s recent success) but he signed a two year contract with Walsall at the start of this season. At 28, he is probably at or near his peak and, depending on the ownership situation, we are unlikely to be able to compete for his services. In any case, if Bayo stays (as now seems likely) the need for a replacement big guy up front is less obvious. What price that guy from Millwall who has always seemed to enjoy playing for Wycombe ?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bayo? No Richie says he's going and if that's not all the proof you need...
    @shev had a look for your shirt but obviously the excitement of the day distracted me. Thanks for the win are you sticking about for Wimbledon?

Absolute guarantee that he's staying then

• Could it be that Bayo scores the goal that relegates Wimbledon on Saturday, three seasons after scoring the goal (or one of the goals) that got them promoted ?

• Poetic justice. Didn't the Dons believe he wasn't up to L1 standard? Their loss, our gain.