Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall

Comments

• Crap game, great result, brilliant atmosphere ! First half was very forgettable, 2nd half better... can't fault the effort though. One touch of class won it. I must say though, not everyone's cup of tea, but the drummer was great and didn't stop, which added to the atmosphere considerably.

• It was one of those games where it needed something special to win it - luckily Jason stepped up for us when we needed it most. The difference in Walsall to the side we played earlier in the season was incredible - I don't think I've ever seen a team overhit so many crosses. We really had to dig in to see ourselves over the line - whatever you can say about this team though you can not question their character.

I suspect we can't afford him, but Andy Cook is worth a look in the summer if we're trying to replace Bayo. He had a great record at Tranmere, was good against us at their place, and at least offered some threat today when he came on.

Final word to Ainsworth today. I don't think there was much criticism on here, but he's taken some from some of the more fickle elements of our fan base during this poor run. We're so close to survival now, and when it comes, we should all remind ourselves what an amazing job he has done to secure it.

• Btw... thought the whole defence deserve a special mention, which says a bit about the game in itself

• I can't say I shared too much of the adrenaline and fretting, as Walsall offered next to nothing.
    It all felt a bit end of season nothing to play for, for me, but thank goodness we took the chance to put this essential win in.

One more point next week should pretty much do it, and that completes the much maligned original 5 year plan.

• "Highlights" are up already - https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11700965/wycombe-1-0-walsall, all one minute and fifteen seconds of them!

• And... relax. Horrible game but who cares. As everyone said defence pretty good after a nervy first half. Walsall very poor though. Considering it was probably a must win game for them they did seem to focus too much on stopping Bayo get the ball to the detriment of actually playing football. Was surprised they seemed to give up on the long throw tactics until right near the end. Did they just not get many throw ins?

I think 50 with our GD is likely to be more than enough. A point next week and it’s guaranteed (unless Wimbledon win at Luton tomorrow)

• 80-1 against relegation now

In terms of preserving league status provides a vital buffer if budgets need to be radically cut next season while a viable long term structure is found.

• @DevC said:
    80-1 against relegation now

In terms of preserving league status provides a vital buffer if budgets need to be radically cut next season while a viable long term structure is found.

Let’s not start modelling tonight eh @DevC ?

• I never thought Walsall would score, excellent defensive performance. That said I never thought we would either unless we got a set piece.. and there it was. Some dark arts on display today. I noticed a ball boy gesturing to a kid in the family stand not to throw the ball back and am I alone in thinking Allsop was gently barged by a Walsall forward and went down as if he was hurt before realising no-one had bought it. I rather hope we haven’t instructed ball persons to waste time but I guess it’s the modern way.

• I enjoyed the game today - mostly because of the result it has to be said, but also because of the sheer effort and passion from the team, coupled with great atmosphere from the fans. Walsall were woeful in every department and we deserved the win, although we should have pressed a bit harder for a second after getting the first. At 1-0 down, they always had something to play for, but with a second against them, they would have crumbled completely.
    Whole back four were immense today- Macca clear MOM for all round strong performance. Only niggle I have with the formation is that I would play Samuel wide (ran his socks off again) as opposed to Kashket being asked to do so, which isn’t his natural game / position. Instead of having to run in from wide and trying to get past five players, he should be feeding off flicks and knock ons from Bayoninbthe middle. We have seen very little of them as a front pair (injuries, etc) and I think we have struggled more as a result. Would like to see Kashket and Samuel swap round next week (even with Bayo carrying a knock currently.) Good squad / sub rotation from Gareth today - we needed it.
    Having won today, I think we can go on to win at least one of the last two.

• @Manboobs said:
    I never thought Walsall would score, excellent defensive performance. That said I never thought we would either unless we got a set piece.. and there it was. Some dark arts on display today. I noticed a ball boy gesturing to a kid in the family stand not to throw the ball back and am I alone in thinking Allsop was gently barged by a Walsall forward and went down as if he was hurt before realising no-one had bought it. I rather hope we haven’t instructed ball persons to waste time but I guess it’s the modern way.

Didn't see that and don't say it didn't happen but, from the terrace, I noticed the ball boy near us, corner of terrace and Beachdean, being notably, uncommonly expeditious in his actions. I suspect there are no team orders.

• Bayo hobbling out of the ground badly today, if he is going to play a part in the final two he will need a few days with feet up. Think he might be done for the season, he was out on his feet at FT. Sido also leaving on crutches today and Gape subbed, I think he was also carrying a knock. We have a lot running on empty and carrying injuries - one more push needed from the squad to get us over the finishing line

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GA summed it up perfectly on 3CR - the only two memorable / enjoyable moments were the goal and the final whistle.

Great defensive performance against a poor Walsall team who looked unrecognisable from earlier in the season. Effort levels immense, many of the team had nothing left at the end. Nearly there, hopefully Wimbledon will be this season's Chesterfield.

• GA said both gape and Freeman were playing through pain. Samuel kashket is a difficult one as Samuel is better at holding off players and battling so.not necessarily suited to winger while scotty has goal threat but drifts out of games. For me PCH is a better option wide with samuel OR
    SK up with Bayo. Having said that...im not a coach or manager!

• Not pretty at all but we got there. Walsall were absolutely awful in attack and showed no real desire to win, which is crazy in their situation.

Two clean sheets against Southend and then today have been absolutely critical. We’ve been losing too many games despite playing well so it was vital to avoid conceding to allow us to scrape those two results.

Pretty much job done I think. Given our superior GD 50 points will be enough unless there is an extraordinary run of results for the teams below us. Avoiding defeat next week in front of a sold out away following would be a nice way to seal it considering how poor we have been against Wimbledon in recent years.

• @Wendoverman said:
    GA said both gape and Freeman were playing through pain. Samuel kashket is a difficult one as Samuel is better at holding off players and battling so.not necessarily suited to winger while scotty has goal threat but drifts out of games. For me PCH is a better option wide with samuel OR
    SK up with Bayo. Having said that...im not a coach or manager!

Shows how far on the fringe Paris is, if he now can't even get in over an in pain Freeman, and an out of position Kashket!

• Agreed re assessment of ‘pretty much job done’, @Glenactico. The remaining fixtures put Plymouth right at the centre of things, and the strong likelihood is that 50 will be enough for us, with our superior GD to most of those around us. Obviously can’t count chickens just yet, but Dev’s odds quote looks about right.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Agreed re assessment of ‘pretty much job done’, @Glenactico. The remaining fixtures put Plymouth right at the centre of things, and the strong likelihood is that 50 will be enough for us, with our superior GD to most of those around us. Obviously can’t count chickens just yet, but Dev’s odds quote looks about right.

Agreed. We’d be bloody unlucky to go down now.

• Terrible game, but great result. Last time I saw us play so poorly was probably Plymouth at home and we won that one to! Strange after all the good performances recently, that it's a poorer showing that brings in the points.

Would love to see us get to safety next Saturday and relegate Wimbledon in the process. We never seem to play well against them though.

Think I'm correct n saying that only 1 of Scunthorpe and Plymouth can finish above us, as they play each other on the final day and both have vastly inferior goal difference. So effectively only 1 relegation spot for us to worry about.

• @glasshalffull said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    This is an utterly desperate spectacle.

For goodness sake, the players were battling for our league one status, it’s not an occasion for a ‘spectacle’.

Aw shucks, if only someone had told me we were battling for our League One status.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    @Shev they are playing your song

Thanks @OxfordBlue - it was great to hear it in person!

It was a pleasure to meet @NorsQuarters, @ForeverBlue and @bluntphil today, in addition to the winners of the song competition (who I don't believe post on here). Yet more evidence that we have some true gents here in the Gasroom!

• Ah. I'd forgotten you were coming today, @Shev. Sorry to have missed you.

I heard your song too, even on the terrace!

• Sorry about that too, @HCblue. I have a master plan of gradually meeting everyone!

• @Shev said:
    Sorry about that too, @HCblue. I have a master plan of gradually meeting everyone!

I'd be delighted to be part of that plan next time you're about.

• @glasshalfempty said:

@glasshalffull said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    This is an utterly desperate spectacle.

For goodness sake, the players were battling for our league one status, it’s not an occasion for a ‘spectacle’.

Aw shucks, if only someone had told me we were battling for our League One status.

I think some people (especially glasshalfempty) don’t take into account the pressure that players are under in games like today’s. Had we played more expansively to make it a better ‘spectacle’ and lost, our place in league one would have been in serious jeapordy. It’s all about getting over the line and I for one put results above entertainment at this stage of the season.

• Cracking interview with Jason, really feel his love for the club.

What a bloke

• @glasshalffull I'm not sure you need to keep stating the obvious.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    @glasshalffull I'm not sure you need to keep stating the obvious.

Observation says you may be incorrect.