Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall

Comments

• Nerves. COYB

• OUT TODAY! Don't forget to stop by the WWISC stand on Hillbottom Road (on the left, in between the two Origin buildings) and pick up your brand new copy of The Wanderer fanzine.

All the usual content, plus a leaked email from a board member, an excellent interview with Dobbo (if you already think he's the nicest bloke in football, wait till you read this) all the reaction to our game against Plymouth and our attempt to get Teresa May and Jeremy Corbyn to become Wycombe fans.

Just the sort of thing to calm your nerves pre-match.

COYB!

• Can’t make today. Wish the boys well. COYB.

• Every time I think about today’s game it makes me feel sick.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!

• Too exciting/nerve shredding. Six early goals for the blues please. Seventh in extra time.

• No extra time today @Wendoverman. It may not feel like it but I’m pretty sure it’s just an unimportant league game. Run of the mill.

• Hope there’s not too much added time. My nerves are already shredded. Should be plenty of noisy atmosphere with intermittent hysterical caterwauling and the odd expletive.

• @micra said:
    Hope there’s not too much added time. My nerves are already shredded. Should be plenty of noisy atmosphere with intermittent hysterical caterwauling and the odd expletive.

God’s Beard! I’ll try that as my odd expletive today. Although that’s maybe more an antiquated blasphemy.

• Getting the ex players in was a great idea, not sure exactly who as the tannoy battles the drummer . Bit of respect chaps?

• Actually, i take that back, far too drawn out and close to kick off

• @Shev they are playing your song

• @Steve_Peart said:
    @ValleyWanderer

https://ifollow.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001270489-Why-can-t-I-watch-certain-games-

Domestic users will be able to watch any league match that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports. Fixtures taking place on Bank Holidays or Easter will be unavailable for streaming. Any other games are ‘blacked out’. All league matches will be available to watch again from Noon BST the day after the live event with an active iFollow premium subscription.

And today’s game is on iFollow. Got to assume the EFL are just trolling fans now.

• A shot on target would be nice

• No urgency whatsoever so far, very disappointing. Hopefully the second half is different

• This is an utterly desperate spectacle.

• Get the f*ck in!! YEEEEEEESSSSS!!

• @glasshalfempty said:
    This is an utterly desperate spectacle.

Better that and the result than a good game at Rochdale which we lost!

• @glasshalfempty said:

For goodness sake, the players were battling for our league one status, it’s not an occasion for a ‘spectacle’.

• @Chris said:

@glasshalfempty said:

Better that and the result than a good game at Rochdale which we lost!
    Absolutely!

• Great atmosphere at AP for a desperately drab match. What a free kick though. Top result too. And now a lovely walk over the hill for a pint in the George & Dragon beer garden. 10/10!

• Our fans and team were up for the scrap though - as ugly as it was

A joyous result and I don't care how it happened

• edited April 2019

Well in summary the result was more important than the performance. We've had plenty of "good" performances and lost. Today was a turgid affair, particularly in the 1st half, but understandable. Walsall had set up to frustrate us in the 1st half, with a tall midfielder dropping back to mark Bayo every time they were defending a set piece and one of the centre halves dropping even deeper to mop up any through ball. What we needed was a bit of quality from the midfield which I thought Freeman was the most likely to come up with. Walsall offered begger all going forward until they had to find an equaliser in the last 1/4. Even then, it was clear why they are in the position they find themselves. Credit to Sido and El-Abd, both had an exceptional match, plus the two full backs that gave them absolutely nothing. Bayo was a colossus in every way and though ineffective as a goal threat, Samuels was on his knees by the end of the game.
    Some very bizarre decisions by the lino running the Beechdean touchline and the referee. Certainly can understand the frustrations of players & management when the same standards are not applied? What is foul for one side wasn't for the other. What is a foul anywhere on the pitch isn't in the box, where Bayo was getting his shirt pulled off his back constantly.
    Good fortune and a result or two going our way & a point could be enough on Saturday. A defeat also for Plymouth and Argyle could be in the drop zone at 17.00, now that is a tempting thought.

• Rubbish game, excellent win.

Someone called Wimbledon as being the game we'd seal staying up at ages ago - they could be spot on.

Just one moan - why didn't they announce the names of the ex players? I could only recognise a few from the Frank Adams, and it wouldn't have taken ages to reel off 25-30 names surely?!

• @Malone I agree wholeheartedly. So many of us would have loved to see them walk round the touch line to receive cheers and applause. Even the flag bearers and Bodger got to do that.

• At one point, it looked like they were off for a walk around.

Then instead, they were just let into the main stand, and it looked like they had to find somewhere free to sit.

• For a bad game, that was very exciting - still recovering my nerves as I sit at home.

Easy to see how both teams are close to relegation: little creativity or quality on offer - but thought we thoroughly deserved the points for outplaying Walsall, who struggled to generate a clear chance even in the last desperate fifteen minutes or so which we negotiated, by our standards, very well.

Allsop's timewasting in the last minute, in a team performance that scored much better than average in that regard, was very embarrassing.

• Yup. Didn't really hit me that it was a poor game til I got home. Was too nervous to notice. Adrenalin flooding out of me walking back to the car. What a relief and a good battling performance from a tired but obviously passionate team.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Yup. Didn't really hit me that it was a poor game til I got home. Was too nervous to notice. Adrenalin flooding out of me walking back to the car. What a relief and a good battling performance from a tired but obviously passionate team.

Same. I really enjoyed the game but am struggling to think how they will fill two minutes with highlights.

• I was going to say the saddlers should feel hard done by...but as some of the officiating was ludicrous I won t. Yes we can see why both sides are battling relegation - as are about eight others!! Thompson and macca tied for MOTM for me. Defence excellent. Scotty k has obviously lost a bit of confidence in front of goal...i would have hooked him for Paris much earlier! But on the whole happy.

• Oh and Harriman keeping our JJ out is looking more obvious now...