Skip to content

Match day thread: Rochdale

Comments

• Far better in the first half, lots of almost chances, nobody too surprised when we let one in having not taken advantage throughout. Not sure we can really cope with being the team on the front foot expected to score as we are so used to scrapping now and don't have form strikers. Bad result, better on Monday.

Few silly comments on twitter around Alex Samuel, unfortunately looks unlikely to score many goals, which will be a problem for a striker ( hello Holloway) but all the effort. If Anything Bayo is playing deeper as he can't get forward with any speed so Samuel is leading the line in a way Scotty K , who faded 2nd half, could never really do.

The worse thing we could do after Southend is to believe we are great and its just not going for us. The remaining games against fellow low clubs are opportunities but far from guaranteed points.

• Kashket hit the bar and fluffed a one on one before Samuel really, really should have scored when he had done all the hard work to go round the keeper. How we haven't won that, let alone lost it, I cannot understand. Almost certain there was an offside in the run up to their goal, but in the last 10 we huffed and puffed and just couldn't create a real opening (they had even brought on big centre forward Calvin Andrew and put him at centre back.) Three points very much needed on Monday to make up for it, so it will be interesting to see what Ainsworth chooses to do when it comes to rotation.

• @StrongestTeam , while I dare say I can imagine some of the twitter drones going into over the top nonsense, I do hold massive concerns about Samuel myself.

We can't go into next season with him as the "main" man.

• While I wouldn't in a million years claim any superiority over Ainsworth in selection and tactics, I do wonder if going into the next three games, Bayo and Kashket should be used as impact subs. Bayo is obviously struggling top keep up the pace for 90 minutes and is carrying an injury; Scotty, who put in a proper shift today, maybe struggles to last the full game. If Tyson is fit again, maybe him, Paris and Samuel to start, with Kashket and Bayo able to come on against a (hopefully) tiring defence. Or Bloomfield to start given his ability to badger defences relentlessly for 60 minutes.

• Paris certainly has seemed unlucky a lot of this season to not start.
    It was one thing when we had Williams and Fred, but right now, with no Tyson, he should surely get back in?

• I have the sneaky feeling that Paris will be the player that scores the goal(s) that keep us up

• @Malone said:
    @StrongestTeam , while I dare say I can imagine some of the twitter drones going into over the top nonsense, I do hold massive concerns about Samuel myself.

We can't go into next season with him as the "main" man.

I agree, you'd have to imagine that if Bayo goes and Ainsworth stays then a big man of some sort will be high up the agenda.

We can safely disregard the comments of our old friend the ketchup stained cashpoint warrior.

• I wonder if he's learnt his lesson at all.
    Bet not.

• Once again, not sure how we didn’t at least get a point. The game should have been won with the earlier chances before we fell behind.

Really didn’t see the defeat coming at all. For the vast majority of the game I thought we were the better side. We weren’t dominating as such, but seemed to have slightly more in every department. In the end, I was proved wrong as ‘Dale were able to finish where we couldn’t.

Walsall is now absolutely critical. They are in poor form and we could more or less relegate them on Monday. Really don’t fancy us to get more than a point or two from the final two games.

• I'd imagine that as we played well today, Ainsworth won't change too much in such a short space of time before Monday.

Our style of play at the moment is so built around Bayo, that I doubt he'll drop him either.

• Tbh we did everything but score !!!

• Looking at the Sky 'highlights', we really did so well in the first half but you have to score when you're so dominant We just don't have that cutting edge, shown by the Samuel second half chance. It looked bad enough at the time but gets worse with every viewing.
    Maybe Tyson and PCH in the forward line on Monday?

• Samuel couldn't finish his dinner !!! A poor mans CMS

• He does really well to go past the keeper, and the defender doesn’t make that block 9 times out of 10.

• Samuel is getting quite a harsh rap for that, although he is a professional striker.

He's gone fairly wide and the defenders caught up, a more accomplished striker would've switched it back to his right foot, but it's not as bad as people are making out.

However, I think we're a much worse team without him, he's a menace up front chasing and winning fouls.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Samuel couldn't finish his dinner !!! A poor mans CMS

Is CMS the goal machine that has banged in 1 goal in 13 games for the mighty notts county!!

• Samuel is definitely a "rich" man's CMS these days, which is why we shipped CMS out!

Whether either are the right man to lead next year's front line is another story though.

• No we shipped out CMS due to his wages !!

@Malone said:
    Samuel is definitely a "rich" man's CMS these days, which is why we shipped CMS out!

Whether either are the right man to lead next year's front line is another story though.

• @Malone said:
    Samuel is definitely a "rich" man's CMS these days, which is why we shipped CMS out!

Whether either IS the right man, @Malone.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

• Ah Ritchie's new focus for hatred amongst the players of the team he 'supports'... it's been a while.

• He wont score more than 5/6 goals a season and thats why nobody wanted him apart from Ainsworth who thought he could improve him !! He has been excellent winning free kicks and chasing and harrying but that wont keep us up goals will !!!

• Clearly we need a new manager then who won't ignore your technical advice Richie.

• edited April 2019

We would have been promoted and be full of American money if Richie had been given the job.

• The image of being full of American money makes me smile!

• edited April 2019

@Wendoverman said:

Ah Ritchie's new focus for hatred amongst the players of the team he 'supports'... it's been a while.

Stick him on hide like I do. Job done.

• Hide this you tosser !!!

@Malone said:
    @Wendoverman said:

Ah Ritchie's new focus for hatred amongst the players of the team he 'supports'... it's been a while.

Stick him on hide like I do. Job done.

• A very reasoned & well thought out response @rmjlondon, (for you)! Irony being, @Wendoverman won't see it.

• @Wendoverman is all-seeing!

• I don't block anyone. I know when Richie's brain hurts too much to post that All is right with the world. He is after all the tosser's tosser.