Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers Women

Comments

• Good luck to the Chairgirls tomorrow against Moneyfields. I can't make the match but if they show as much determination and self-belief as the Chairboys did today, they have a chance of getting a result. 2pm Flackwell College, Spring Lane.

• A 1-0 defeat for Chairgirls, sounds like a late goal.

• Abingdon Utd are three points behind Wycombe, with three games in hand, after beating Eastleigh 8-0 today. To finish second, the Chairgirls will need to beat Abingdon at home, and hope Moneyfields beat them as well.

No fixture listed for the Chairgirls next week, away to Shanklin the following Sunday.

• The Chairgirls won 6-0 at on their overseas trip to Shanklin today, 3-0 at HT. All different scorers, Woodward, Bagshot, Newberry, Barrette, Cheadle and Todd.

Moneyfields and Abingdon Utd both won 5-1 today. The top is now Moneyfields 42 points from 14, Abingdon 39 from 14, Wycombe 39 from 16.

http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/ProcessPublicSelect.do;jsessionid=8325E7CCB7D6950EF52A82E1EB70BE9C?psSelectedSeason=874772411&psSelectedDivision=454751288&psSelectedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=479698

Next Sunday Wycombe travel to Eastleigh, then comes another big one, Abingdon Utd at home on 14 April. Moneyfields host Abingdon on 21 April.

• A 5-2 win for the Chairgirls at Eastleigh today, 2-0 at HT. Scorers, Hudson and Woodward (4).

The final game of the season is in two weeks time, the 'must win' game at home to Abingdon Utd.

• Abingdon won 8-0 at Shanklin today (HT 6-0), Moneyfields' game at Basingstoke was postponed. Table now reads:
    Abingdon 42 pts from 15 (GD 80)
    Moneyfields 42 from 14 (GD 77)
    Wycombe 42 from 17 (GD 72)

To finish second, Wycombe need to beat Abingdon next Sunday at home, by several goals, and hope that Moneyfields beat Abingdon at home the following Sunday. Wycombe lost 2-1 at Abingdon in November. Moneyfields won 3-2 at Abingdon in September.

• Just a reminder that the Chairgirls would really appreciate your support tomorrow for their last game of the season, the vital game against Abingdon Utd. Flackwell College, Spring Lane 2pm.

At the Fans' Council meeting on Thursday it was revealed that the Chairgirls were going to play one game at Adams Park this season, but the match was postponed and the opportunity lost.

• HT WW 0-1 Abingdon, 38th min pen for a trip. Against the run of play, Chairgirls playing well and have had most of the ball but couldn't turn some half chances into a goal.

• FT WW 0-2 AU, second added on 63rd minute. Abingdon were the better side after the break, just one clear chance for the Chairgirls when Tara shot wide when clean through. So Wycombe finish in third place.

• @Steve_Peart Just wanted to say thanks for all the updates in this thread. There's not a lot of other posters in here but I read your match reports every week.

• Ditto.

• Same here

• Yes, thank you @Steve_Peart

• Likewise, cheers @Steve_Peart.

• Cheers Steve!

• Always interesting and informative, thank you @Steve_Peart.

• Totally agree thank you @Steve_Peart , I'm always interested to hear how they've got on

• Thanks for your kind words but I think that the real thanks go the the Chairgirls for representing Wycombe Wanderers so well this season. Fourteen wins and four defeats is an impressive records, it took two very good teams to beat them. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching their displays this season, I have just moved to the north of the county but will still be coming down to watch them next season.

Latest table:
    http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=557346800&league=479698

The team spirit stands out and some of the tackling is ferocious! The defence is very solid, starting with keeper Amy Batkin, very brave, not the tallest but able to bring off some outstanding saves from those high shots. She is not afraid to mix it, an Abingdon player followed through on her yesterday, when the penalty was conceded, really hurting her but she was up and at her opponent in a flash and had to be pulled away. Captain Charlotte Bagshaw and Katie Hudson are a very strong pairing in central defence, Emma Newberry, Alix Todd and Emma Dean are solid, hard tackling full backs. 'Rocky' Barrette is the lynch pin in midfield, Christina O'Connor is a tall powerhouse of an attacking midfielder, with driving runs and fierce tackling, Chante Inniss has the speed and skill on the wing and Tara Woodward (39 goals in 19 games, the league top scorer) is a very good finisher, skilful with some lovely deft touches. Apologies for not mentioning everyone, I can't put names to all faces yet!

Over the past few weeks the Chairgirls have played some very good teams, and come up short, mainly I think because they lacked physicality up front, creating few chances against some strong, domineering defences. I sometimes think Tara needs a physically stronger teammate alongside her, to hold the ball up. I could see Christina in that role.

Dave Roberton said yesterday that the club have asked for three teams to be promoted, they would hold their own in the Premier Division, another season of thrashing weak sides would be a backward step, they need to be playing stronger sides.

The 'A' youth team is looking very promising, they finished second in their league, three points behind champions Maidenhead, who beat the Chairgirls 2-0 at the end of March, their only defeat. I hope to see them in their County Cup Final at Adams Park on 5th May.

http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=530392976&league=9687504

The 'B team finished mid-table:
    http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=13222791&league=9687504

• This Saturday, 20 April, Wycombe Ladies are holding two fundraising events at Wycombe Leisure Centre.

First up is a Cycle/Row (9am-12pm), covering the return distance from London to Brighton, about 122 miles. This is followed by Pairs Football Tennis, Ladies vs U18s (1-3pm).

There will be a donation bucket at both events, they really need the funds, so please support them if you can, they will be very pleased to see you!

Their crowdfunding appeal has now reached £571, any further donations would be most welcome.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/wycombewanderersladiesfc?utm_term=RyrAbNAD2

• Thoroughly recommend watching the, upbeat, inspirational Sergio Torres film. You might even find yourself liking Steve Evans (a tiny bit)

• At his book signing evening Sergio recounted how on one occasion Steve Evans had come up to him during training and said “I don’t like you Sergio, I love you”. Personally, I’ve always quite liked Steve Evans. Very different from the manager and recently departed manager at clubs rhyming respectively with Grim Mouth and Wootton Beds. (With acknowledgement to @Shev.)

• @micra said:
    At his book signing evening Sergio recounted how on one occasion Steve Evans had come up to him during training and said “I don’t like you Sergio, I love you”. Personally, I’ve always quite liked Steve Evans. Very different from the manager and recently departed manager at clubs rhyming respectively with Grim Mouth and Wootton Beds. (With acknowledgement to @Shev.)

He says in the film he basically had enough of Evans constantly shouting at him so went to see him in his office to ask him why he hated him, that's when he gave that reply.

Apologies, this was put in the wrong thread of course, was late, put the film on to have a quick look and watched it all . Mixture of old clips and new interviews , Sergio's dad and Jonny Gorman are stars. Real joy to watch.

• Afternoon @StrongestTeam. Would love to see the film. How do I go about it?

• @micra said:
    Afternoon @StrongestTeam. Would love to see the film. How do I go about it?

https://theunknowntorres.com info in there, hopefully there will be a viewing at the club at some stage but nobody seems to know

• @StrongestTeam said:

@micra said:
    Afternoon @StrongestTeam. Would love to see the film. How do I go about it?

https://theunknowntorres.com info in there, hopefully there will be a viewing at the club at some stage but nobody seems to know

Probably this is being discussed on the wrong thread but....
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/april/sergio-returns-for-the-unknown-torres-screening/

• Thanks for the links @StrongestTeam and @AlanCecil. Sounds like 11 May could be an interesting and entertaining evening, especially in the glow of survival.

The official announcement doesn’t make clear whether the film will actually be shown or whether the DVD will just be available for purchase. Call me cheapskate but if I’ve seen it on the evening I would be disinclined to buy a copy, signed or not.

It might help sales (of tickets for 11th May and/or the DVD) if this event was given a dedicated thread.

• @micra said:
    Thanks for the links @StrongestTeam and @AlanCecil. Sounds like 11 May could be an interesting and entertaining evening, especially in the glow of survival.

The official announcement doesn’t make clear whether the film will actually be shown or whether the DVD will just be available for purchase. Call me cheapskate but if I’ve seen it on the evening I would be disinclined to buy a copy, signed or not.

It might help sales (of tickets for 11th May and/or the DVD) if this event was given a dedicated thread.

"The club are also delighted to invite guests to join Sergio for a friendly kickabout on the pitch ahead of the screening" definitely a screening, and kickabout too. Sounds great.

• Cuppies - Sergio in goal

• @StrongestTeam: Thanks for that. How on earth did I misread that announcement! Surely it was edited after I read it? No? Ah well, senility rules then (although it was very late).

I hope all Gasroomers participating in the kickabout will wear T-shirts with their usernames inscribed. Just for a larf.