Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

Comments

• I too was wondering if Bayo might come off @prufrock_91.

Thank goodness he stayed on and did the business!

• I wonder if the decision to play our first unaltered 11 for months may have been, in part, responsible for a fine win. Going back to our play-off campaign season, we always play with more confidence when things are settled. Tough on Stewart, JJ and PCH, who could all make a good case for being in our strongest team - but consistency is key and I'd like to hope we now stick with a winning formulation for the remaining fixtures, if possible.

• Good shout @aloysius. It's all a still little surreal. A win (surreal), a clean sheet (very surreal) and a two goal margin (extremely surreal).

• Can't see the same starting 11 at Rochdale, only because commentary suggested Bayo ran himself into the ground and might have picked up a strain. Better to rest him for the Monday maybe? Same might be said for Scotty, great though it was to see him make it through an excellent 90 mins.

• A wonderful day. A glorious few moments waiting for the ball to drop and hit the net for the second. Tremendous effort by all and thoroughly deserved

• Yes agree with the above.

Not only have we finally secured three points but we’ve also found a way of playing that works after weeks of scrabbling around with different line-ups and formations.

That last 15 mins or so against Portsmouth that, probably out of desperation, saw us try playing Freeman and Kashket as (inside out) wingers in support of Bayo and Samuel has, it would seem, had a profound impact on our end of season chances.

Also, to have the likes of Stewart, PCH, Blooms, JJ and Beany in reserve suddenly means we’re not quite as threadbare as we have been previously.

• Couldn't make it along to the game today, but would just like to say what a joy it is in particular to see Freeman playing so well at the moment, and coming in for such praise. On various away trips and home games behind the goal I've heard a few murmurings of him being below par and a "non-league brain", but when he is on form he is technically immaculate and arguably our best technical player. Having watched the highlights that cut inside and reverse pass to Kashket is magnificent, and long may it continue. On to Rochdale in search of another top performance and the points to match. Up the blues!

• Thought he was a bit of a passenger first half, but the whole game was dour. He lit things up second half with jinking runs and clever link up play.

• I'd like to see Freeman get the ball and quickly get it in. Too often he falls foul of the irritating winger trait of constantly checking the ball back inside, I don't think he's pacy enough for that.

Some pass for the Kashket assist though.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I'd like to see Freeman get the ball and quickly get it in. Too often he falls foul of the irritating winger trait of constantly checking the ball back inside, I don't think he's pacy enough for that.

Some pass for the Kashket assist though.

A bit harsh maybe. If we have a front three and he's behind he joins in the play a bit more so isn't properly out wide in the same way as often as he would be as a winger, and even with a front 3 they are mostly chasing balls and hastling, not too often we have people in the box centrally just waiting for a cross.

Agree though doubling back as if an early cross would be too obvious is infuriating across football. Think it started about the same time everyone started to think they were brilliant and would best "in the hole" doing flick ons around other people who work hard.

• The problem with that is he plays out wide left of a 442.

• edited April 2019

to be honest I don't give a shit who plays where aslong as we get points as we did yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I think with our GD one more win will probably do it.

• @rmjlondon said:
    to be honest I don't give a shit who plays where aslong as we get points as we did yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I think with our GD one more win will probably do it.

I am as one with Richie’s mathematical analysis. One more win could well see us stay up on GD. I’m almost on board with not caring who plays where - although Beany in goal and I would have some concerns. That and Bayo at left back.

• I wonder what the worst team would be using a sensible formation and the starting line up from yesterday.

I’d go with something like:

GK Thompson
    RB Akinfenwa
    CB Kashket
    CB Freeman
    LB Samuel
    RW El Abd
    CM Jombati
    CM Allsop
    LW McCarthy
    CF Gape
    CF Harriman

• Jombati would love a go further forward. Wonder if playing right back all his career might be regretted.

• @Chris for the last game of the season if both teams have nothing to play for and can’t affect others prospects it should be an EFL rule that all players are played as far out of position as possible. That and jumpers for goalposts.

• Hmm, very Wendoveresque @Manboobs.

• @micra I shall take that as a compliment of the highest order @Wendoverman being a poster I rather admire for his wit and general good nature on here. Although I do worry about his crisp obsession.

• @Manboobs said:
    @micra I shall take that as a compliment of the highest order @Wendoverman being a poster I rather admire for his wit and general good nature on here. Although I do worry about his crisp obsession.

Is @Wendoverman really Lucy?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/reallife/187622/i-lost-5st-by-beating-my-addiction-to-crisps/

• She ate all the crisps! The truth is out.

• Does Jamie Carragher ever stop wining on? The contrast with the admirable Gary Neville is painfully sharp.

• Irrelevant to thread but I had to get it off my t**s. Apologies.

• Whining.

• At least when he's whining, he's not spitting in kids faces @micra.

Small mercies.

• Just had a look at the pictures on twitter:
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/april/gallery-southend-0-2-wycombe/
    the 10th looks like it was of the occasion when Kashket was booked for simulation.

I looked at the replay of the game and it looks like Dieng aims a kick not at the ball but at Kashket who didn't fall until contact was made, however from the video the referee was reasonably well placed and couldn't have got it wrong could he?

• I'm not sure how I got dragged into this. I've never spat crisps at anyone and am still 23 stone. The Southend player had a good old hack at Scotty, but we'll give them that one as they lost and kashket is unlikely to get enough yellows to be suspended this season.

• Beg pardon @Malone. Ignorance on my part but I didn’t understand the spitting reference. I thought Barton only smashed the Barnsley manager’s face (allegedly). Didn’t realise he’d been spitting at kids. Or am I barking totally up the wrong tree? Or just barking.

• @micra if you are still awake the spitting reference was to Carragher. He was filmed driving and spitting into another drivers face (or window) a year or so ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/14/jamie-carragher-suspended-sky-end-of-season-spitting-incident

• Thanks for that @bookertease. Delightful !
    The voice just drives me mad. And he seems to be on nearly every match I decide to watch. It’s the tone and the sheer verbosity. Shame, because I love the scouse accent. We watch a programme called “The Voice” and the girl who came second in the most recent series - Deana - had a beautiful singing voice, a lovely scouse accent and was just all-round lovely. Should have won in my opinion. I digress. Time for beddy byes.

• How did you miss the story @micra ! It was a right old scandal, and quite amazing that he got away with it with a brief suspension, and is back working again.

I'm not sure what's more shocking, that he thought spitting was a reasonable response to the situation, or that he didn't notice someone with their phone out filming him!