Skip to content

New revenue streams

Comments

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/april/panache-cup-postponed/
    assuming this is it @TruthWillOut ?
    If true if anybody has the time to scroll back and see what the GM managed to sell the pitch for that day in May that was of more importance that would be more interesting.

• Just to be clear this accusation is

1) that a customer (that happened to be a sponsor) agreed in writing (say by email) with WWFC that they would hire the pitch for a charity event for an agreed price on an agreed date
    2) that customer then organised an event for that agreed date as agreed
    3) WWFC then made a conscious decision to cancel that event as it felt it had a more lucrative booking
    4) A higher level manager of WWFC supported the decision of a more junior staff member to cancel the booking

• In fact I see the club promoted the event so 1) and 2) is confirmed.

When was the event cancelled please.

• edited April 2019

Reign in your patronising a smidge @DevC . As far as I can see it was very widely promo'd with a launch day with Geoff Thomas and others earlier on the website so not just someone asking for a caterpillar cake who got a Thomas the Tank Engine one and should just shut up about it. If this cost us a major sponsor it is serious. If the GM cancelled it because he did have a more lucrative booking that may have ended up costing Panache sponsorship I would be keen to find out what it was.

• @DevC said:
    Just to be clear this accusation is

1) that a customer (that happened to be a sponsor) agreed in writing (say by email) with WWFC that they would hire the pitch for a charity event for an agreed price on an agreed date
    2) that customer then organised an event for that agreed date as agreed
    3) WWFC then made a conscious decision to cancel that event as it felt it had a more lucrative booking
    4) A higher level manager of WWFC supported the decision of a more junior staff member to cancel the booking

Correct,
    Damian Irvine Head of All Commercial Revenue Agreed with Panache.
    GM joined and dismissed it said he could sell it rather than do a charity event.
    Therefore very short sightedly losing a long standing client who had ploughed over 1 million in sponsorship and events for a potential quick quid.

We pride ourselves on being a “family club” yet a sponsor and box holders of many many years, tiny daughter has devastating leukaemia and that’s how we treat them!
    The club let panche go so far to advertise the event.

Can anyone tell me what event took place 26th May 2018 in place of the Leukaemia Cup??
    Be interesting to know what event cost the loss of such big sponsor.

• Ah now found the story.

Not quite how the poster suggested it.

Poster suggested that a date was agreed and event announced in Dec 2017, Michael Davies was then appointed. He then decided to cancel the event with support of the trust in pursuit of a more lucrative booking.

First flaw in the story is that Davies was actually appointed in December 2016.

still would be very serious though if any customer was casually cancelled in pursuit of more cash from an alternative booking. it would be an outrageous, incomprehensible act. why would any business behave in such a way.

and then you look at the dates. You find the event was cancelled in very early March 2018. At the time WWFC were engaged in an unexpected promotion campaign. Thje event had been planned for the weekend when it looked very possible WWFC would be playing in the playoff final for that weekend. it appears that WWFC concluded that there was simpkly no way it could commit to handle the administration of that event while it was handling last minute preparations for a Wembley final. Which seems quite reasonable. So WWFC had to postpone the event to reorganise in 2019.

So as usual with the recent batch of posters, a fact spun to create a false impression amounting to a lie

• edited April 2019

@DevC I supplied a link earlier in thread on postponement and panache are no longer on the list of sponsors, unless I've missed it. Ducks shuffling into a row. But didn't the GM join in Dec 2017 @TruthWillOut so already here when thing was launched?

• @devC league2 play offs in 2018 was May 28th at Wembley and wouldn’t have involved wwfc match staff anyway. Leaving 26th May Free
    Regarding the GM I don’t know when he joined the club but he was definitely the one who cancelled, unaware of the commercial relationship and ramifications.
    Panache ceased Sponsorship and submitted invoice for Fire Services for the Stadium which is a significant amount around 20k Trevor Stroud then rung Terry trying to patch things up and apologise but the damage was done.

Regardless lost a lucrative loyal sponsor who was enduring a terrible family ordeal, we treated him that badly he with drew sponsorship.
    Terry is a very reasonable man had it been for good reason cancel he would have accepted that. But a big event to be cancelled 8 weeks prior after adverting. Poor show, unprofessional.

• Dev hates it when people know more about stuff than him

Life must be a perpetual nightmare for the lad

• You said that "Terry" would be happy to come back on board if the current incumbents were removed, one of them Mr Stroud.

Buf if this was all some unnamed GM, and Mr Stroud as above personally rang to apologise, why would he have to be part of the leaving gang?

• There's only one gm @malone (sounds like a song that!)

• You presented the story in the way that reflected as badly as possible on the management of the football club. That has become standard practice for a number of posters , all of whom seem oddly to have started posting at roughly the same time. Odd.

When the full facts are known the situation is far from how you presented it. The club appears to have felt that it couldn’t cope with managing an event a couple of days before potentially managing a playoff final.
    I can see why you may form a judgement on whether that was a good idea or not, but far from the clear cut outrageous injustice you presented it as.

To be clear I can see why the decision may have infuriated the father of the poor child involved. In similar circumstances, I suspect I would have felt similarly..

Doesn’t mean the decision taken wasn’t entirely understandable though.

And hence an illustration of a technique used regularly by Marlow. Take a half truth, spin it and present it ins such a way that it makes decent people look as bad as possible.

I am sure he will be along before long with more such attempts.

• I try to be polite but seriously. DrivelC

• @eric_plant said:
    Dev hates it when people know more about stuff than him

Life must be a perpetual nightmare for the lad

And I notice he never apologises or owns up when he is proved wrong.

• Dev, you’re a very weird little man, and quite nasty too.

• I like everyone on this board to some degree or another but I honestly can’t find a single likeable thing about you.

• This is really depressing. I do think there has been a degree of incompetence in the club’s commercial side for some time. I provided funds by way of sponsorship in the past and since the day it was up for renewal nobody from the club has ever contacted me to ask if I would like to continue. It wasn’t a huge amount of money but I dare say I am not the only missed opportunity.

• You read some things on this board, and you think "agenda", such as with the guy who was ousted off our board and now posts as Nice Carrots. There's always the suspicion that Marlow chair is along similar lines, with some personal reasoning for his "spin" (as Dev might put it).

But then you read posts like Onlooker's above, or decent guys like Mr Warboys saying how their offers of expertise have been ignored, or things haven't been followed up, and you think, what in blazes is going on.

The tribute game for the sponsor's daughter sounds like it could be a really ugly call., I'd hope someone takes that to the top of the command, and get a proper explanation out post haste.

Unless there was a much better reason than trying to squeeze more dollar out, then it sounds the stuff of real disgrace.
    Costing a major sponsor is one thing from a business viewpoint, but the human aspect of this story is woeful...
    Obviously pending this really like being presented, and there not being proper reasoning, a will to just re-arrange rather than cancel etc...

• A disturbing accusation from truthwillout and I’d be interested to hear the full facts from both sides.
    Not in relation to this incident but more in response to Onlooker’s post, I do think the lack of finance and subsequent lack of staff has led to many mistakes and missed opportunities.

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/april/play-on-the-pitch-this-summer/

Here you go @DevC

So the club cancels a charity event because "we are in a promotion race", and then days later tries to sell pitch hire for the very same date. For a man who loves facts, are you willing to admit your version of events is completely untrue?

• I think you will be waiting a very long time @Last_Quarter. Dev is NEVER wrong.

• Surely you wouldn't cancel a game for an ill kid, without offering another date though? Why didn't that happen?

• So lets just summarise the latest example of marlow and chums little game

THE ACCUSATION

@TruthWillOut said:

In short after sponsoring for over 12 years, the owner of Panache, 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer and having aggressive chemo. A celebrity match was arranged and agreed in the off season.
    All bar and food money going to club but ticket funds to go to Charity.
    New GM arrives and pulls the plug because he reckoned he could rent the pitch out on that day.
    Panache pulled all sponsorship.
    Would cost the club several thousand to rent cherry picker to remove signage from Away stand.
    Would now no longer get free fire regs which amounted to 20k a year.
    And Panache now have a box a QPR

THE REALITY

It became clear that there was a substantial risk of a clash between the charity game and WWFC being in a playoff final a couple of days later. WWFC simply didnt have the resources to manage both, so the managment took the reasonable but difficult decision to cancel as far in advance as possible to avoid the clash.

Personally I am getting tired of all the lies. it seems I am alone.

• This is an absolute disgrace. Gobsmacked to read this.

• I am definitely not alone in being tired of your constant shitposting dev, and I’m entirely unsurprised that you are alone in any situation in life. I can’t imagine anyone would voluntarily spend any time with you.

• Dev - I suspect you're doing your usual.

But let's put your suggestion away immediately.

Last summer, there was a Celebrity football game organised for the SAME DAY as the play off final would have been on.

So if the club could handle that, they certainly could easily handle a charity game 2 days to the side of a potential play off final.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    This is an absolute disgrace. Gobsmacked to read this.

As I said earlier, we’ve only heard one version of events from an anonymous poster. I’m reserving judgement until I know more about the circumstances surrounding this accusation.

• @drcongo said:
    I am definitely not alone in being tired of your constant shitposting dev, and I’m entirely unsurprised that you are alone in any situation in life. I can’t imagine anyone would voluntarily spend any time with you.

Have you any evidence to back up this allegation!!

• I am not going to out anyone’s real identity, but I can definitely attest to the fact that @TruthWillOut would absolutely know the facts here.

• Apologies for the Brexit analogy but I would reiterate that I for one am willing to resume my modest sponsorship just as soon as the present incumbents are stood down leaving their elected replacements able to negotiate on the EFL equivalent of WTO terms.