Skip to content

Lack of depth in squad

Tonight was disappointing, but there's a limit to how many games you can go undefeated.

Unfortunately, although we already know the squad lacks strength in depth, nights like tonight just go to prove it.
Jombati has been immense this season, but noone can deny he has under performed in the last two home games. We know he is a quality player, but where he could benefit from missing a game or two like Muphy has done, that is not a possibility unless Rowe steps in for a game or two as we simply have one player per position across a lot of the park.

Still, we are in a very good position, which I'm sure everyone would have taken before (and even after) the Torquay game, so let's just hope tonight's result is a blip and we can find form again soon. Having said that, although the result itself is a blip, our attacking link up play has not seemed to flow for a few games now. What started out as two good draws against Luton and Shrews has turned into us struggling to score or scoring one in every game since.

Hopefully a formation change can change our predictability to opposition managers, who have us well and truly scouted out at this stage.

Comments

• And before anyone says it, I don't buy the 'all we need is a proven striker' argument.

Take a look at any of the 24 league two club forums right now and each and every single one is asking for the same thing.

Holloway is and has been absolute class, however we have not created clear cut chances, so striker or no striker, there have been no chances to capitalise on.

• Holloway needs to learn to run with his head up, takes to many touches as he is unaware
    what's going on around him.

• Holloway actually seems better running away from the penalty area. Not quite as menacing running in!

• The ball pretty much sticks to him like glue though, when played to him in any sort of reasonable manner. Formation and lineup is what dictates who and where players will be around him, to enable successful link up play. Although he can hold up the ball, he's much better with quick flick ons and lay offs, which require players to be within a certain distance of him in the first place.

• I blame it on being a non-Saturday game. All season we seem to under perform away from 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. (Whether that is true or just my perception I'm not actually sure).

• Missing tonight was creativity in midfield and strikers going for goal. This season is not unusual in that, I think in the lower leagues its easier to play well away from home than at home against teams who get players behind the ball

• @Downley_wanderer said:
    Missing tonight was creativity in midfield and strikers going for goal. This season is not unusual in that, I think in the lower leagues its easier to play well away from home than at home against teams who get players behind the ball

I certainly think it can be, especially when your formation and approach have been well and truly sussed out. What is probably needed is a new system for a while so that we are unpredictable again in our approach.