Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

124»

Comments

• @perfidious_albion With the table as it stands, there is a realistic possibility of there being very much a "Torquay moment" on the final day of the season, with Wycombe needing to win whilst hoping that Bristol Rovers lose, so that Rovers will be relegated instead of Wycombe. It depends on results between now and the last day, of course, but with Rovers only 2 points ahead of us and 3 points from the drop-zone at the moment it definitely could happen.

• @Uncle_T said:
    @perfidious_albion With the table as it stands, there is a realistic possibility of there being very much a "Torquay moment" on the final day of the season, with Wycombe needing to win whilst hoping that Bristol Rovers lose, so that Rovers will be relegated instead of Wycombe. It depends on results between now and the last day, of course, but with Rovers only 2 points ahead of us and 3 points from the drop-zone at the moment it definitely could happen.

And that afternoon in the south coast sunshine was my greatest moment in almost 50 years of supporting Wanderers. But I hoe we have sorted it by then!

• @Wendoverman said:
    The ball retrieval operatives have been appalling this season...bystanders most of the time.

Lovely stuff @Wendoverman.

• I did not make Torquay, but I do remember the terrible feeling when Rovers beat us at home...don't want that again...nor the chance that the wholly innocent Ched Evans plays any part in sending us down on the final day!

• @DevC said

“Problem I fear is that the players collectively are not as good as those from other teams. Nobodies fault and perhaps not a great surprise given the budget constraints.”

Strongly disagree. Collectively, as we’ve seen from most of the last dozen games, we are a match for most other teams. This would not be apparent to someone who depends largely on highlights. What we have lacked most is a proven goalscorer. Bayo has clearly been in that category for about 15 years but, time and again recently (and very sadly), he has not been sharp enough to react/adjust his body shape to take what as recently as last season would have been relatively straightforward chances.

I’m sorry @Malone but I disagree with you when you say “It was notable yesterday for instance how “League 2” we looked at times, launching tonnes [?] of long balls, while Charlton didn’t really”. I was surprised how frequently Charlton did resort to the long aerial ball and and I was equally surprised, with Bayo up front, that (especially in the first half) we played the ball quickly and neatly on the deck much more than usually when he leads the line.

• It’s not worth responding to Dev’s comments on players or tactics as he hasn’t bothered to actually watch the team before commenting. More appropriate to not read his drivel and then just reply to what you imagine he probably said. You’d be amazed at how easy it is to guess.

• I felt compelled @drcongo !

• @micra I agree with you with regard for being a match for most teams in this division...a bit more composure and luck against those around us and we would be safe already...but it is clear there is something of a gulf in quality between us and some of those challenging for promotion that a 20 goal a season striker might have helped disguise a bit! I have enjoyed this season though, surprisingly!

• The last two defeats have been enjoyable in a perverse kind of way! The next one, if any, might be a very different story. Any road up, there’ll be some thrilling encounters in the Whizzer and Chips. After my time perhaps.

• Agreed @micra, re Charlton hitting it long more than some people like to believe. One key example, their goal came from a free kick from the half-way line launched right into their ‘big men’ which we never got properly clear before that pinpoint cross and matey sneaking in front of Sido. In contrast, when we played Luton, for example, free kicks in those kind of positions were played as quick 2 yard taps to another player to keep possession going.

On a separate note, credit to them for not resorting to any kind of ‘game management’ until pretty much the 90th minute. Their reward was just 3 minutes of additional time to play out.

• @micra said:
    The last two defeats have been enjoyable in a perverse kind of way! The next one, if any, might be a very different story. Any road up, there’ll be some thrilling encounters in the Whizzer and Chips. After my time perhaps.

Completely agree about the defeats. Last night was by no means terrible. Did we deserve to win. Probably not. If we play like that for the next few games will we stay up. Yes, unless we’re bloody unlucky. Can we play like that. Let’s hope so.

I liked the three up for corners - one decent ball...

And hats off to the Charlton faithful. Great support for their team.

• Yes indeed re the Charlton support. They were still going strong in Hillbottom Road after the game. My Charlton mate must have felt proud as would my late brother have been - a lifelong fan for over 50 years, starting in ‘forties.

• Did notice that @Right_in_the_Middle . That kid wasn't moving in any circumstance.
    Obviously whoever briefed the job role to him, forgot to mention that getting the ball back to the players was a key part.

• @micra , maybe i'd fallen asleep by then, but I just remember thinking what a contrast Charlton were with their leggy athletic pacey players and ball on the floor, with our aimless lumping to the big man's vague direction.

Not totally black n white I suppose, Charlton would hit a few long balls, but a bit more well thought out then ours.

• It's all set for that Wimbledon game to be the defining game.

• @Malone said:
    Did notice that @Right_in_the_Middle . That kid wasn't moving in any circumstance.
    Obviously whoever briefed the job role to him, forgot to mention that getting the ball back to the players was a key part.

Or he didn't understand the instructions that his inaction only applied when we were leading in the game!