Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• Desperately unlucky to lose tonight. A proud performance against quality opposition. Can’t fault anyone at all. Let’s just hope we can play like that against our relegation rivals.

• At this point I would be happy to play terribly and win!

• desperately unlucky will not keep us up. we are heading to league 2....not keeping the loan players has killed us

• I feel as though the last 12 games (aside from Luton) have been coin flips that have all landed on tails.

• Let's have some positivity Alan. What can we be cheerful for tonight?

• edited April 2019

I don't really care how unlucky we are or how many tweets the club can put out saying we were "in it to the end" or Ainsworth quotes about "never being too high or too low". Two better performances have equalled the same amount of points as the ones we threw away in previous weeks, precisely 0.

Absolutely nothing is falling for us, we've now lost 5 on the bounce at the worst time of the season, teams around us (Wimbledon, Rochdale) are hitting form at the perfect time while we haven't won a game of football since January and have 2 points from our last 11 games. I'll cheer the boys till the very end, but if I was a betting man I'd have a big sum on relegation right now.

Surely nothing less than a win on Saturday will do.

• Couldn’t fault any of the players for effort. Maybe just not quite the quality required.
    Next few games are against worse teams. We’ll see.....

• Indeed. It's tough to be positive now, but the tight league table really works in our favour. 50/51 points could well be enough if we can just grind out two more wins - we certainly showed in the last couple of matches that we're good enough, and we've now got the weaker teams to come. As a wise man said at Plainmoor in 2014 - BELIEVE!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I actually will go further and say that was one of the best domestic performances I have seen from a Wycombe side in a long, long time. We are so unlucky at the moment. To have had this run of fixtures against some very good, big, in form sides with great players when we have played well consistently has killed us. The late goals against Gillingham, Shrewsbury and Oxford are what have us in this position.

Aribo, Taylor and Vetokele were quality and livewires for Charlton tonight. They could definitely go up. Their defence was powerful too, marshalled by Pearce who got the winner. Their right back was unbelievably athletic too and had a great game.

Feel so sorry for our guys who gave it everything. El Abd should probably score the header near the end to give us a deserved reward but again their keeper was impressive throughout and snuffed the chance out. If we play like that in our next 4 games, we will not go down but the question is are we capable and do we have the legs and bottle to dig ourselves out of this? It's on a knife edge.

Really cannot fault anyone tonight particularly. I thought the attacking line up and high press were good tactical decisions and we have been undone by one defensive slip and a lack of clinical instinct in the other box but again, this was against an excellent Charlton team. League One really has been brutal last few months.

Players deserve our support and we need to fill out that away end at Southend and make a hell of a noise.

• edited April 2019

Played alright but we desperately need our strikers to stop fluffing their lines.

Massive 4 games coming up which will make or break our season.

Come on Wycombe!

• Quick word for Jason McCarthy btw, who has been outstanding these last 2 games

• McCarthy gave it his all, again. Tireless down that right wing and you can see he is giving everything for the cause. Potentially a game changing moment in the first half when he snuffed out that quick Charlton breakaway, did excellently. My man of the match

• Very similar game to last Saturday - fantastic performance from the team against another quality team, one silly defensive error, couple of good saves from their keeper, another poor refereeing performance and a couple of sitters that go in when confidence is high / momentum is with you. End result - defeat by a single goal against one of the division’s top teams, where we can consider ourselves unlucky to not get a point.
    Good lineup and tactics from GA, with one exception - I would have played Samuel out wide and Kashket in the middle alongside Bayo. Thought Kashket looked lively tonight- good, hard early strike which he kept low and if he hits the miss anywhere but straight at the keeper, it’s in the back of the net. Moments like that are the difference in these sorts of games. McCarthy was indeed superb tonight. Sido and El Abd did well and Harriman also did well after a shaky first ten minutes. Charlton attacked very well at speed on the break, but we coped well for most of the game, albeit riding our luck at times.
    Looking like we will need two wins and a draw to survive and if we play like we have in the last two matches, against the teams currently below us, then those results are achievable. Our luck has to turn at some point - COYB !!!!

• Another good performance tonight against a top team. We went toe to toe and lost by one goal. McCarthy MOTM and great efforts from all. The high press worked well from the start, the complete opposite of the Portsmouth game where we stood off them in their own half and let them play football.

• I agree with what people have been saying. Charlton are a quality team but we more than matched them and didn’t deserve to lose. Repeat that level of performance in the remaining games and I believe that we’ll survive.
    Two things to encourage us: we have a better goal difference than the teams below us with the exception of Southend who are only two goals better off and that could change on Saturday. Also, I’ve noticed that most of the teams in the relegation fight are playing each other in the final weeks of the season so they can’t all improve their points tally. Keep the faith!

• I watched Rochdale tonight at Accrington and we have nothing to fear playing them next week. I know we're on a shocking run but i still believe we can pick up the required points to stay up.

• Whilst a draw wouldn't have been unfair, I certainly don't feel the sense of injustice I felt after our other recent defeats. Charlton were a strong team and very solid defensively and for the most part kept us out fairly comfortably. We never got a head of steam going like we did on Saturday.

Not sure about the line up tonight, the front 3 didn't really work for me and it was frustrating to see Kashket out wide, particularly in the 1st half, we really needed a player with his finishing ability in the box.

• Wycombe´s form in last 12 games: DDLLLLDLLLLL
    goals scored: 11
    goals conceded: 24
    goal difference: -13

Take a look the stats here:
    https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3

Shocking to look at the Form table (last 8 matches)

After Kashket´s goal on Saturday I thought we would see a Bayo/Kaskhet combo upfront with PCH on the right.
    I like Alex Samuel but he is lacking goals and his finishing is poor. Thought Bayo did not look 100% and found it amazing he played the full 90 minutes. So much desperation to throw Ben Frempah upfront near the end, talk about a debut for a central defender.

If we can get a win I think we can get on a roll but getting that win seems so tricky at the moment.

• I actually left feeling really proud of our team tonight. They gave it absolutely everything against a decent side with a strong back four.

No points but I’d like to think they’ve taken some heart and confidence from their efforts.

Me, I’d keep that front four for the rest of the season, it was fantastic to see two creative talents like Freeman and Kashket supplementing the physical challenge offered by Bayo and Samuel. All four were terrific.

As we’re both full backs. We haven’t attacked with such purpose down the flanks for a long time. Probably since Gareth retired.

Some massive games coming up but we can do this. We’ve a good team and all five tensing matches are winnable but we need to start finding the back of the net.

• I agree with you @TheatreOfChairs. I would also add that we are having shite for luck atm. Just one fluky goal, a Danny Bulman of his Harris will do to get our noses in front against Southend and the confidence will fly as will the adrenaline which could give us a vital three points and kick start a mini run to see us over the line.

• Normally a team in our position would be suffering boos from the crowd and questions about the commitment of the players. The fact we are nowhere near that and the team are applauded off the pitch after 13 winless games speaks volumes. It is crazy that I could count the bad performances on one hand and yet we are just a point above the drop.

• It is nuts really. I just hope our attitude at Southend is to go for it. Stakes may be high but playing for 5 draws won't cut it, we need wins and some momentum back to see us over the line.

• Great performance, pressing and playing most of the first half if not the game in the Charlton half. Thought rocky had a good game which was good to see except for the goal maybe(?) but what do I know. Play like that in the run in and we'll be safe.

Felt like the ref wasn't leaning our way at all, poor old Bayo is just not destined to get a decision.

• Tonight was so unfortunate. We played so well and I can't quite believe we came away with nothing.

Highlights are up on sky sports website. Its actually insane that nothing went in for us. Also think we were unlucky not to get a pen when El abd nearly had his arm pulled off in the box.

However, ifs and buts arent good enough. I think we can do this, Saturday is beyond massive.

COYB

• Very different performance from Ryan Allsop too - much sharper all round. Rather than concentrating on wasting time he was at the pace of the game and looked a lot more switched on for it.

A word for Charlton’s away support, who put Sunderland’s to shame with their constant singing, concentrating mainly on their own team rather than abusing us.

• Agree about Charlton supporters, best I’ve heard at Adams Park for a long time and, as you say, how refreshing not to hear them abusing the opposition.

• Did frenpah even touch the ball? A bizarre sub that one.

We needed that Kashket chance to go in. That was our chance.

Charlton certainly look a division higher than us. Just the pace in attack and so many mobile players.

Roll on saturday. It's getting critical now. Massive peril of losing a game now too.

• Might be a small point but I was a big fan of leaving 3 up when we were defending corners. Could see the confusion it cause Charlton with them not knowing how many men to commit forward and gives us a chance to break quickly.

Feels like we are desperately unlucky at the moment with nothing quite falling for us in the box. Get a bit of luck and I think we'll be fine.

• GA said Frempah has played upfront in training a few times. EMBARRASING !!!!!