Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• In the first half it looked like a cup tie with a Championship side visiting a League 2 or Conference side - such was the gulf in class, speed, strength, movement, technique and attacking ambition. Fortunately we managed to get ourselves back into the game and forced some good saves from their keeper by the end of the half. For all their possession, Portsmouth didn't really test Allsop as much as they might have done, and their goals in the second half certainly were poor for us to concede.
    Our battling qualities showed that we know we're in a relegation dog fight now, and if that means playing a bit of kick and rush then so be it. Though that was in contrast to fantastic move that culminated in Samuel fluffing his lines from six yards out, which shows that we do have that in the locker. Hopefully we can take the positives and play with a bit more confidence than we have recently.

Of all the games recently, this one has probably made me most optimistic that we will stay up, though failing to get anything means that the Southend, Walsall, Rochdale and Wimbledon games will be incredibly tense and nervy affairs.

• With respect @ReadingMarginalista, whilst agreeing with your first sentence with regard to the first 20-25 minutes, I thought we matched them for the rest of the first half and, but for the brilliance of Craig MacGillivray, would at least have been on level terms at half time.

Very much agree with the rest of your post.

• @Micra I thought I'd put 'got ourselves back into the game before half-time', you're right to pull me up on my lacking proof reading and failing to give credit to our rally at the end of the half.

• We were only in the game for the last half-hour with the help of a dubious goal, a sense of desperation and the introduction of Adebayo Akinfenwa. I struggle to understand how he can perform so well after coming on and yet so poorly for 90 minutes at Oxford last week. It was interesting how well he did when we played the ball to his feet yet for all the perceived positivity of that last half-hour we left ourselves with too much to do following a litany of mistakes.

I suspect Craig MacGillivray's performance would be seen as brilliant when compared with Ryan Allsop. Was Brett Pitman's free-kick any better than Jason McCarthy's?

Despite the improved performance on the Oxford debacle, I am not sure I saw anything yesterday to suggest we have what it takes to avoid the drop. Fighting spirit is all very well but you give yourself very little chance by making so many mistakes.

• To be fair we were ‘in the game’ from roughly the half hour mark (after Bloomfield came off?) After their second goal we were dominant(ish) but that may be because they sat back a bit.

Our first goal, although lucky, did come at a time when we were creating chances

• Portsmouth looked a class act for 30 mins yesterday but only led due to a high loopy cross that Allsop should have claimed. After that we were the better side but came undone with an error by Stewart, a great free kick by Pittman (which was better than Mc Carthy's due to the pace in n the ball) and some hesitant finishing by all our strikers.

Plenty to enjoy and stay positive about but somehow we need to start a game on the front foot and not make the one big error to gift a goal.

• @glasshalfempty: you really do live up to your username.
    @Right_in_the_Middle: you’ve nailed it.

• I think giving Lowe enough space to build a house on the right hand side for thirty minutes was bound to end in tears!! Was it four corners they had in the first six minutes?

• edited April 2019

A bungaLowe surely?

• @micra That's why I chose it Sir.

• Idle conjecture @Wendoverman: I spoke approvingly yesterday about the extra pace provided by Stewart and Harriman in that area of the pitch but on further reflection (and having seen the Quest highlights) I do wonder whether Jamal Lowe would have got past El-Abd and JJ quite as readily. Will GA revert to the latter pair against Charlton I wonder or will pace hold sway with Lyle Taylor raiding down the right channel?

• I personally think JJ was simply rested, much like Thompson and perhaps Bayo. It is going to be hell for leather against Charlton!

Come on you Chairboys!

• @micra said:
    @glasshalfempty: you really do live up to your username.
    @Right_in_the_Middle: you’ve nailed it.

Micra, as usual you are the voice of reason especially about my namesake-with-a-difference.

• Thanks @glasshalffull. I’m fearing for my sanity tonight with some of the (to me) obscure exchanges on here so any recognition of rational thought on my part is very welcome!

• Glass half empty is an intentional parody poster though.

• Ha ha! That is not a parody.

If anything he's toned down his negativity on here

• Think it might be someone who has posted very many times on both Gasrooms under several different guises.

• I’m sure you’re right @NewburyWanderer.

• Ahhh Benny again is it?

• edited April 2019

I'm getting very confused with all these names being bandied about as if we are all real people.

• Some people are clearly more easily confused than others.

• Crikey, that’s not the first time I’ve failed to look carefully enough at the username and been startled by an apparent epiphany on the part of the much more palatable positive poster of similar name.

The post at 3.32 suggests that the person concerned treats the Gasroom more or less exclusively as a place to air his or her negative and humourless, irony-proof opinions. Anyone at all familiar with the warmth and self-deprecating wit of @Wendoverman would not have reacted in that way.

• I regard the use of multiple usernames as a clear case of cowardice.

• @micra They do say humour is subjective and it seems my attempts are missing your funny bone at least. I've made 67 comments on Gasroom 2.0 (as opposed to your 6927) so how you come to conclusion I claim some exclusivity is beyond me.
    "Benny" was a nickname associated with my writing for @Vital; I use @glasshalfempty for my own views on here. Not sure whether this avoids your virtual Message Board firing squad.

• Multiple usernames is among our proudest traditions.

• edited April 2019

To be fair, ten games without win it's a red letter period for the mongers of doom and those posting while sitting in their signed HYLTON shirt so I felt no slight. The black cloud covered area of misery and doldrums I sat in when I first returned to the Beechdean as a season ticket holder has hardened me I think.

• @Wendoverman It's this kind of fortitude we need in these dark times. I doubt we'd ever find you ducking out of the way of a free-kick!

• Only because I probably would not see it coming. As I cannot be there tomorrow night (damn you rescheduled fixtures and not yet being old enough for a life of ease and an OAP discount) please all enjoy my free meal. First come first served.

• Che was the more well known username.
    If i remember correctly, top of the highest post count on the old gashroom.

Changing usernames is one thing, it's the ones that have two different ones on the go at the same time that are most "interesting".
    Especially when they argue against each other!

• @Wendoverman said:

please all enjoy my free meal. First come first served.

I am sure Mr Parry will be at the head of the queue!