Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• @Malone If we weren't up shit creek financially, I think he would have gone. GA himself has admitted that he would have been sacked at pretty much any other club. I'd be surprised if the FC board weren't going back to their periodic manager succession planning a little sooner than they were earlier in the season, but unless we put in a series of disastrously bad performances before the end of the series I doubt we'd pull the trigger.

• Great finish, but at the same time the 'keeper's had a shocker there.

• Sign him up!!

• Sorry for bringing this thread back.... but just noticed GA is now favourite at 1/3 on for thw QPR job !! He was 20/1 just 2 days ago

• It's inevitable we'll lose him at some point - he must be on a lot of clubs' radars after what he's achieved here. But if he does go, I hope it happens soon, both so we get some decent compensation and because it'll give his replacement a full summer to build a squad. Losing such an inspirational manager partway through a season could be a disaster for morale. Can't see Ainsworth being the sort of man who'd leave his club in the lurch with a sudden mid-season departure, though.

That said, I'd love to think he'll still be in charge this time next year.

• I would suggest Mark Warburton might get the nod first...but having seen fan fave psycho fail at forest hope gaz negotiates a good severance if he does go. I understand football fans can be quite harsh quite quickly.

• Darren Moore was the "new odds-on favourite" just a couple of days ago. Gareth is today. Whose turn will it be next?

• I heard a rumour that there is a Notts takeover planned and moore was the favoured candidate for that job. But that's football innit.

• If he was to go, I'd actually rather know either before, or immediately after the game this Saturday. That way he'd get the send off he absolutely deserves as one of our best ever managers, and one of the most (if not the most) likeable guys to walk into the club.

• If this happens, have to assume that the reason it has taken so long for QPR to fill the role is that Gareth wasn't prepared to leave until relegation was avoided. Respect to the man.

Boo to the power group though for forcing this loyal man to accept his dream job on a vastly increased salary.

• The big concern is, if Gareth goes, who's going to want to come into a club where they'll have no money to work with?

• @th100 said:
    The big concern is, if Gareth goes, who's going to want to come into a club where they'll have no money to work with?

We're a league one club.... there will be plenty of people very keen for the job

• I think a tight budget might be a fairer (or at least more literal) way of describing the financial situation rather than “no money” although I take your point!

• @HolmerBlue of course. It's just whether we'd be able to get a Hill/Powell or would have to look lower down the pyramid. I'm not resigned to GA's departure just yet though!

• there are only 92 jobs. Many more wannabe managers. There would be plenty of applicants. Fans may need to show some patience and understanding to whoever gets the job - next season is likely to be extremely challenging

• I think we'll probably look inwards to Dobbo or Bloomfield.

If you look around at the odds for Plymouth and Gillingham's next managers, would Darrell Clarke or Gary Johnson be unlikely though?

• luckily we'll have you 200 miles away telling us all how to behave

• I think Oxford is slightly nearer than that.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I think we'll probably look inwards to Dobbo or Bloomfield.

If you look around at the odds for Plymouth and Gillingham's next managers, would Darrell Clarke or Gary Johnson be unlikely though?

Surely after so many season together Ainsworth would take Dobbo (and whatever staff we have left) with him wherever he went? And good luck to them both if so.

• I agree with @Brownie

If Gaz is leaving this summer it would be good for it to be announced before Saturday so he can get the send off he deserves

• The optimist in me wants to point out that QPR are a basket case and he’d never be more than 3 defeats from getting the sack, whereas we’re almost to the point of putting a statue of him up at AP. and he certainly didn’t talk like a man on his way out on Saturday.

But the rest of me accepts he’s pretty much done his job here, and it’s much better for him to leave in the summer than mid-season.

• Good luck to him if true and he deserves his chance but my god that would leave us in one hell of a mess. No manager, player contracts up, no recruitment of players until new manager and budget agreed, failed sale process, debt hanging over us. This is a recipe for disaster going into a new season.

• Dobbo as manager! Why on earth would Ainsworth suddenly not take his key right hand man!

As much as he is so key to our setup, this has to be the right time for Gaz to leave.

We'll have pretty much achieved the much derided 5 year plan (think it was being "sustainable" in league 1, which I'm not sure we quite are if we're being pedantic), and I fear next season will be more of a tester than this one.

He's kept us up in league 2, taken us up,kept us up in league 1, he needs that next move.
    Yes QPR is risky, but I dare say there's not a great deal of "safe" jobs as you move up.

• As I have said not only risky for Mr Ainsworth but also for the owners at QPR...who may want to please the fans (or at least some of them) but might also worry about appointing a 'lower league' manager, however successful. It's another gamble...though not on the Notts County Harry Kewell level,

• And I think we've proved that however successful our manager might be...there is a section of our support who actually won't support from very early on.

• It's very much the same part of the curve that O'Neill moved on but I am interested in how the bookies are the new fountain of all knowledge and accepted by some as such.
    QPR fans I know are still very much talking about Sherwood and Warburton.

He will leave at some point and it won't be the disaster some predict. I just don't think QPR is a club he should be moving to.

• @HG1 said:
    Good luck to him if true and he deserves his chance but my god that would leave us in one hell of a mess. No manager, player contracts up, no recruitment of players until new manager and budget agreed, failed sale process, debt hanging over us. This is a recipe for disaster going into a new season.

It's obviously disappointing, but it was going to happen at some time soon anyway. However it may not be the total mess you envisage. If a healthy compensation figure was included in his contract as previously reported this may well be enough to pay off the American's loan.

Hopefully we would be looked on favourably by Gareth in any loan deals for QPR's young talent.

With so many of our players out of contract, this will enable any new manager to bring in his type of player. The key will be getting the right manager in place, but I have little confidence in the current Board having the ability to do this.

• Bookies pure and simply go on money put down, and whatever whispers they've picked up on.
    That's probably more of a guide than a club's fans.

How many times have we as Wycombe fans got the next manager right for example?

• When a manager is as good as GA, and a budget is as small as ours, it is never going to feel like an ideal time to part ways. But if he does go Now, he leaves on a high, despite the bad recent run, and his track record remains untarnished.

Selfishly, I would hate to see him go, but realistically, this may be the right time for him.

• I have said it before in these discussions about next manager odds but these markets take relatively minimal money certainly less than any horse race on today and therefore any significant or sustained money for anyone would see their odds plummet.

Already with regards to the QPR manager job, there have been at different times 3 odds on favourites, initially Tim Sherwood then Darren Moore and now our manager. That means for us bookies, at least 2 plunges will fail.

Having said that with my Wycombe supporting hat on, a move in odds at this stage could well be significant on account of the closeness to the end of the season. We shall wait and see.