Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• This is all far too rational. Sort it out people.

We were pretty good towards the end. Need to start better and take chances against the poorer teams. Hopefully Scotty K can get a big of form together.

The ref was fkn useless if that helps.

• The thing is we can’t take the game to the opposition for 90 mins and certainly not if we’re playing direct to Bayo. By the end of it we look knackered when we try. Better to stay in the game, as we did today despite conceding 3, and then implement the high tempo game at the end.

• @Glenactico said:
    The thing is we can’t take the game to the opposition for 90 mins and certainly not if we’re playing direct to Bayo. By the end of it we look knackered when we try. Better to stay in the game, as we did today despite conceding 3, and then implement the high tempo game at the end.

Think we've tried that this season and found ourselves behind and without the time to get an equaliser or winner. We're too leaky. Need a bit more from everyone and to take out chances however rare. Also think we maybe need to find an 11 and stick to it, it doesn't help those that do play and the backups aren't always better.

• Most blatant gamesmanship was when a ball boy threw the ball to that pony tailed douche, and he simply punched the ball back out of play.

Our goal was truly bizarre. I would have to watch it again, but the linesman didn't flag, then it looked the ref radioed him to say something, then all of a sudden he put hi flag up, about 30seconds after the goal.
    A along chat, and they suddenly agree it was a goal after all.

Most bizarre.

• Brilliant game and a fantastic performance from us. A real achievement to still be in the game at the death. As others have said, I feared a real mauling after the second goal, but strangely (& not for the first time this season,) being 0-2 down seemed to liberate us and the style of play improved dramatically. Thompson on for Blooms, plus Bayo for Bean made a huge difference. We then had a cutting edge in the middle and gave the Pompey defenders something to think about up front (as good as Samual is, he needs more link up play from teammates when playing the lone striker role.) Three good saves from their keeper, a gifted second goal to them, 3-4 missed sitters between Bayo and Samual and the ref completely bottling giving a stonewall penalty at the end, all prevented us from getting a point, let alone the three we would have got on another day.
    Much more confident about Tuesday now - would play most of the team who finished the game today. Kashket has to start - as I said last week, I think his goals will keep us up. Would also start Bayo, with PCH on the right and Freeman (MOM today in my view) - would keep the back four as they were today as well,

• Wasn’t at the game today as I was working but how refreshing to read the intelligent, thoughtful and realistic opinions expressed on here compared to the negative nonsense posted by the usual suspects on the FB page.

• I don’t know why you go to the Facebook page @glasshalffull, it can’t be good for your health.

• I think selection is a real headache for Tuesday. Calls to play the 3 front men who finished today is just not realistic. That would presumably mean dropping PCH and Freeman, unless you want to play with only 1 central midfielder. Go 2 up top and who do you go with? Samuels and Bayo don't work as a front 2 in my opinion, so do we try an resurrect the Bayo, Kashket partnership? That would mean dropping probably our best all round forward and when it's been tried on the odd occasion this season, it's not worked out (starting games at least). Samuels and Kashket could be interesting, but is largely untried. One up top would presumably mean Samuels, terrific player, but our poorest finisher. Glad it's GA making the decision!

For what it's worth, with a good side like Charlton visiting, I'd be tempted to go 451 with Samuels up top. It does bring our most creative players PHC and Freeman into play and gives us a solid centre midfield. Would be good to see Kashket given some extended game time in the 2nd half though.

• Glass full. I’m intrigued to know if it’s your mission in life just to upset people You did it a lot on fb when you were a regular poster, now seem todo the same in the Gas. I’m not sure if your aware you do it or not. But for someone in their tender years, you need to think before you speak sometimes

• The striker situation is without doubt our biggest issue.

The pros and cons to all of Bayo, Samuel and Kashket are well known.

You certainly can't start with all three. It's an all out late desperation move.

Samuel put his usual full shift in today, so I wonder if starting Bayo and Kashket is the way forward on Tuesday.

Otherwise I expect Samuel on his own will be the safer choice?

• If your playing Kashket then you have to pair him with Bayo. Kashket and Samuels are too lightweight against solid physical defenders. I agree the attacking selection on Tuesday is a conundrum for Gareth.

• How good was Harriman today? A wrong-sided full-back is always a risk, but he filled in more than adequately and linked up so well with Freeman going forward.

• @th100 said:
    How good was Harriman today? A wrong-sided full-back is always a risk, but he filled in more than adequately and linked up so well with Freeman going forward.

Did Harri get MOTM today? Should have.

• McCarthy got it, and I thought that was absolutely the right decision. He was superb today, especially going forward

• @drcongo said:
    I don’t know why you go to the Facebook page @glasshalffull, it can’t be good for your health.

I like to canvass all opinions, but you’re right of course.

• I've seen the goals on tv

As expected, the officials got it all wrong for our first. Wasn't even close to being onside

• @TrueBlu said:
    Glass full. I’m intrigued to know if it’s your mission in life just to upset people You did it a lot on fb when you were a regular poster, now seem todo the same in the Gas. I’m not sure if your aware you do it or not. But for someone in their tender years, you need to think before you speak sometimes

Something of an overreaction, don’t you think?
    The irony is that you posted this (I assume) in response to my post praising the Gasroom. As for the ‘usual suspects’ on the FB page, I reserve the right to call them out when they post the kind of nonsense I’ve read on there tonight.
    By the way, I’ve made a career out of speaking for a living so I don’t need a condescending lecture, thanks.

• Great fighting second-half performance but we can’t keep conceding goals. 3 today, 2 at Oxford, 3 v Accrington, 2 at Shrewsbury. For this reason I’d like to see us try 3 at the back: Sido, Stewart & El-Abd. With McCarthy and Harriman as overlapping full-backs we have the players to fit the system.

I’d play 2 defensive midfielders in Gape & Thompson in front of them, Paris in a number 10 role and Kashket up from alongside Samuel. That would give us pace up front but we must stop conceding. That would leave the likes of Bayo & Freeman to use as impact subs. Credit Darren Currie & Barnet for their 1-0 win at Maidenhead today - their SEVENTH consecutive league game without conceding a goal.

• Thompson is a far better all round player than Bloomfield (who I do like) and made all the difference when he came on. McCarthy and Paris also a good combo on the right . Harriman had a good game but sido and Stewart for me at centre back at the moment. Except for gifting them the second goal we could have had at least a point today. Glad I dont have to decide who plays up front on Tuesday! (Cannot say I missed JJ as much as I thought we might!) We have enough to stay up...a bit of luck and a couple of wins. Fingers crossed!! Pompey were a good team and I feared the worst...but Pittman was a moany get.

• Anthony Stewart made one slip in an otherwise outstanding performance. Not sure if anyone has already picked up on it but I thought the switching of El-Abd to right centre back (and Stewart left, of course) worked very well and the extra pace provided by Stewart and Harriman in that frequently vulnerable segment was a distinct improvement.

I said the other day that it would be great if Kashket rediscovered his goalscoring touch during the run-in so let’s hope that today’s stunning effort is the first of several more from “the little genius” as someone recently described him.

Loss of confidence has been a factor in some of our recent games, not least on the part of Ryan Allsop so it was good to see him looking much more assured today but I mention confidence with particular reference to Scott Kashket because that is one trait that he seems to have in spades.
    I’m very much in favour of using him and Bayo as an impact pair of subs but preferably after 65 minutes or so rather than 74.

Finally, it was good to see over 5000 Wycombe fans there today despite the recent travails.

• Not sure that now is the time to be trying out new formations.

• Adam El Abd was on the wall and ducked out of the way of Pittman's free kick

Poor from anyone, let alone the captain, and not what's needed when you're scrapping for survival I'm afraid

• @eric_plant said:
    Adam El Abd was on the wall and ducked out of the way of Pittman's free kick

Poor from anyone, let alone the captain, and not what's needed when you're scrapping for survival I'm afraid

If you think he isn't brave I'd love to see you tell him that. I'd watch from a distance though.

• Bit of a silly comment

• I’m not seeing this heinous ‘duck’ to be honest. El Abd is on the end of the wall; the ball goes through the middle. You could ask questions about McCarthy and Gape I think but I’m struggling to see where the condemnation of El Abd comes from.

• Was El-Abd playing Humpty Dumpty?
    On the subject of moaning gits I thought Christian Burgess (@Malone’s pony-tailed douche and one of the best central defenders in League 1) was moanier than Brett Pitman. As skipper, Pitman was entitled to converse with the ref.

• Don't see that as ducking the ball. It flew.past his face and he didn't try and break his nose putting it in.

Allsop was already on that side yet still gets easily beaten. That's more worrying

• Hmmm. Fortunately my new prescription glasses arrive next week.

• Ref was pants yesterday, best bit for me was giving the Pompey keeper a free kick after he was taken out by his own player, looked like he gave it against Bayo.