Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• I predict Gareth will lead us to Cup glory next season

• @eric_plant said:
    The bookies spend about 2 minutes pricing these markets up

I miss the days when Terry Venables used to be fav for every job from here to Mogadishu

• @LX1 said:
    I predict Gareth will lead us to Cup glory next season

It's about time we won the Berks and Bucks!

• Apologies @marlowchair. I misread/misunderstood your comment about GA being “allowed” to speak to chairmen. I thought you had just sloppily misspelt “chairman”.

Because of my mental rigidity and abhorrence of betting I was also puzzled by the references to betting odds which followed my post. At least I was able to work out what a Lady Godiva was (although I struggled with that until @mooneyman’s helpful reference to Ayrton Senna).

I am trying to condition myself mentally to accept a Wanderer’s world without GA. His departure would change the whole ethos and I have a feeling the club might also lose arguably the most loyal and hardest working volunteer it has ever had. That would be a real sadness.

• Spot on about GA, @micra sir. GA is one of my favorite people in any sport, in any generation, because of his level of class, grace and dignity, which sets an example too many public figures fail to, both in and out of sport. He deserves to test himself at a higher level, but it will be sad day for Wycombe.

I would love to see some kind of Liverpool 'boot room' situation, where someone who understands his ethos takes over (Bloomers is an obvious shout, should he have coaching talent to match his own great personal reputation), as it would otherwise be quite a shock to the system to see managerial whinging in post match interviews instead of the dignified demeanor of the current boss.

• @marlowchair said:
    unfortunately Gareth’s value to the club means he is looking elsewhere.

He spoke to club chairmen during 2018 with Stroud’s blessing , the board have said between the power group “ it will be a shame to see him go but managers are many and we will find another option and the compensation price tag will see us clear financially for a little while longer “

If new owners come in they will actively sell Gareth to retrieve the compensation, they also believe we have found our level under his guidance and have their own manager along with CEO.

If new owners don’t come in we will be financially strained under Stroud and have no option but to encourage Gareth out at every chance as we did with Luke o’nien to get some quick cash.

Both options are ridiculous and should not happen but they will. We are enjoying the last few weeks of Gareth Ainsworth’s magnificent time at our club .

The board led by Trevor Stroud are fully accountable .

Gareth has been patient and accepting of our budget restrictions and the unprofessionalism of the front office management and commercial areas since Howard left , however the o’nien situation and later in 2018 the board publicly citing the lack of progression in cups as the reason why the clubs cashflow was critical was the final straw.

Pretty shocking if true but then again @marlowchair has been on the money ever since he started posting.

"If new owners come in they will actively sell Gareth to retrieve the compensation, they also believe we have found our level under his guidance and have their own manager along with CEO."

I can only assume that this view is also shared by our Trust Directors who are supporting the American bid or maybe this is something the Americans have not yet shared with the Trust Directors ?

Either way, am not impressed.

• Mate, there is an old adage that you can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time.

Try to avoid being part of the some.....

• Dev... Marlows track record is pretty good tbh.

• Is it? Really? @HolmerBlue

Fire enough bullets and some will hit. Most of what has been posted under this user name is impossible to prove. This last post is a good example of that.

• Is it? Is it spin?

So in this case, which is the reality?
    1) marlows spin that “the power group” are actively pushing Gareth out, ringing up other chairmen trying to get them to take him for money and the evil Americans have another manager lined up who for some reason is so desperate to manage Wycombe that he has waited six months already for a vacancy to come up
    OR
    2) the directors of wwfc have recognised Gareth’s outstanding service and had a grown up conversation with him that they would prefer him to stay but felt they owed it to him not to stand in his way if he wanted to move upwards.

Same outcome, different spin. Your choice.

• @DevC is spot on. It’s spin. How would it have looked if Stroud had said ‘no you can’t talk to chairmen.’ This has been publicly shared so it’s not new.

And of course the power group will say ‘we’ll be sorry to see him go but there are other managers’. The alternative: ‘oh my God. We’re doomed!’ Yes. Likely.

But finally: ‘actively sell Gareth’. Errr to who? How? There is at best a market of maybe 6-10 clubs who may potentially be interested in a League 1 (hopefully) manager but how many of them would be keen if another employer said ‘please take this guy off our hands and give us lots of money’. 1 or 2 maybe but hardly a good business strategy

• Agree @bookertease , they've let players go because its "the right thing for their careers" rather than hold out for massive fees that might not come anyway, have to expect same if it came to it for Ainsworth.

• Yes, having read tonne loads of posts on this forum, can someone actually write a summary of what stuff Marlow chair and Lovely Carrots have said that has actually been proven to be true?

• @bookertease , agree totally.
    I dare say we can't exactly tout Gareth around in the style of a player, and try and get, say, 200k for him.

If a team want him, they'll come in and take him. I'm unsure whether you actually have much legal scope for demanding fees anyway.

• We've really pissed off the fans with the takeover now we've got some money let's **** them over by getting shot of the manager.

• Of course the cynic would say that Marlows latest post is just a ploy to scupper the American’s bid by suggesting they’re preparing to undertake what would be a largely unpopular move of replacing GA.
    The failure of the bid would probably lead to Trevor Stroud standing down which is Marlows ultimate goal in all of this muck spreading.

• Ainsworths odds have dropped from 16-1 to 4-1 with most bookies over night

• I got on at 16s

• Irrelevant @eric_plant.

• That should maybe be my full name on here

• “Largely unpopular move” @Fidget ?! That must be the understatement of the year, unless of course you are using ‘largely’ in the sense of ‘hugely’ rather than ‘to most people’.

• @micra said:
    I’m miffed. Set the alarm last night to get me up in time to listen to GA on Talksport.
    Tuned in 8.40 and popped bread in toaster. I’d read somewhere yesterday (I thought it was the Gasroom) that he was due to be interviewed at around 8.45 this morning. Now I know that this is confirmation of my “Traurigkeit” but I thought Gareth might have something interesting to say about all the current uncertainties on and off the pitch, albeit in guarded, anodyne terms.

@Micra The word you're looking for is Langweiligkeit, though I'm sure you're in no way at all a Langweiler!

• edited April 2019

On the subject of AInsworth, if he lost the rest of the games this season I still think he'd avoid the sack. Expectations were so low at the start of the season, and difficulties replacing the vital loan players from earlier in the season so great that the board may well conclude that they wouldn't be able to realistically bring in anyone who'd have done a better job.

• Absolutely no question of “the sack” obviously (the man works miracles); what has exercised one or two minds is the thought that, with the length of his contract, new owners might encourage him to accept one of the offers of employment elsewhere which might be made, in order to cash in on compensation.

I feel a bit Langweiligkeitlich after all my posts on various threads this morning but I appreciate your correction of my schoolboy attempt to translate “saddo” !!

• @micra said:
    “Largely unpopular move” @Fidget ?! That must be the understatement of the year, unless of course you are using ‘largely’ in the sense of ‘hugely’ rather than ‘to most people’.

I was originally going to simply say “the unpopular move” but having ventured onto the Facebook group I can see that there are some people who would be more than happy to see the back of GA. So I was taking that into consideration with my wording so that the likes of Richie couldn’t respond with “it wouldn’t be unpopular with me”...

• He didn't come close to the sack almost taking us out of the football league.

So there's no way itd even be a consideration.

• Very fair point @Fidget. My FB visits are so fleeting and infrequent that I wasn’t aware that there are still some with so little grasp (or even interest) in the broader picture and current circumstances that they still want GA out. My apologies.

• The broader picture really isn’t of interest to some people, it’s the now that’s all they are interested in. There are some on there who have had to bite their tongues for a long time this season but with the current run of form are now starting to make their feelings known.
    It’s quite depressing really but I just can’t help checking in on there after every game. It’s really not good for my blood pressure.

• Has a manager ever been given goal of the season when it wasn't even in an official game? Unbelievable overhead kick in the celebrity game , video on Facebook.