Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• As I have come over for the match I fully expect the boys to raise their game accordingly and run out victors against the odds. COYB!!!!

• Looking forward to today. Seems ages since I've been to Adams Park. Plenty of hope in my heart. I think we'll do ok today.

I am predicting a big moment from Luke Bolton

• I like to look on the bright side...a 2 or 3 nil defeat followed by another drubbing by Charlton. The form book says it all.

• What a goal from Kashket!

• With 4 games against fellow drop zone candidates out of the 6 remaining. all it not lost.
    COYB's, we are still One Wycombe

• Deeply unlucky. Can't ask for any more effort from the players. Tiny margins cost us a point, and in the end it could have been more than that on balance of chances.

Overall I thought the strategy and shape was the right way for us to play and gave us the best chance of earning a result.

• Absolute brilliant goal from Kashket.

• Don't know how we didn't win really (aside from the obvious conceed 3 goals).
    We were the wrong contact away from scoring 3 more gaols second half - Samuel twice and Bayo at the back post. Add to that a little more composure from McCarthy and a couple of knock-downs from Bayo that no-one could get to and we had more than enough chances to at least get a point.
    Feels much better than after the Oxford result last week.
    If we can keep our belief there's enough to think we'll get the points we need .

• We would be the best team to ever get relegated, I am convinced. What a display second half, against a very good side.

I'm proud of this lot as always!

• Outclassed for much of the 1st half and I really feared for us when they made it 0-2 just after the break. From that point on we were the better side and unfortunate not to get a point in the end.

That goal from Kashket could be important if it get him on a run. If we could get him on form for the last few games, he could make the difference

• Let’s start with the same 11 that finished on the pitch today...great fight back and we had Pompey on the back foot

• Agree @Forest_Blue apart from Jombati in place of Stewart

• agreed, 2nd half we were great and a absolutely need to start Bayo and he made a massive difference when he came on. Freeman also looked the part . I know Stewart made a mistake however for me would defo start him game sido on Tuesday, Jacobson also needs to start for me .

• Freeman was excellent second half after a poor first half. Thompson and Gape were great also in the second half. Samuel missed two sitters but another tireless display. Bayo's most effective games for us have been coming off the bench.

• Team that finished simply has to start on Tuesday

• What a cracking game, had almost everything.
    If the ref hadn't bottled that decision in the last minute, we really could have had the lot!

6 massive games now. A bit of a "Freebie" on Tuesday, as we can't be bottom 4 whatever the result, but after that, it's us v equally poor/out of form teams, so it's totally up for grabs.

I get the impression that Wimbledon game will be the one it's all sealed.

• Is it fair to say that both teams deserved to win today? Pompey are an excellent footballing side (apart from their constant play-acting) and you can see why they're up the top, but the sheer fight and spirit in our team, coupled with some excellent attacking play was a pleasure to watch, and despite being run ragged in the first 25 minutes, we could have won but for their excellent keeper.

Too often we've said 'if we play like that against lesser teams we'll be fine', but too often we don't. But if we CAN equal today's performance going forward, 3 wins isn't too wild a dream.

• The dilemma with starting the 11 that finished the game is we'd be more open and likely to lose a goal, however.
    I think start the same team we did today and make those same substitutuons around the 60 minute mark. - I know Thompson for Bloomfield might be a forced change though.
    If we could avoid the errors and take our chances a win is very possible on today's performance.
    It would be a massive result if we did win.

• How much of an arse was that pony tailed lankster at the back today?
    Constantly on the floor, a moany bastad, and fist pumping to the family stand afterwards as if he'd won the world cup.

• I don't think starting with Bayo, Samuel & Kashket would be a wise move! Will be interesting to see who does get the nod though. Not an easy selection, both Bayo and Kashket have tended to be better coming off the bench. That said Kashket is easily our best finisher and when we're creating chances as we were today, he surely has a big part to play.

Certainly was a cracking game despite the result. Amused to see Portsmouth reduced to all sorts of time wasting and gamesmanship to see the game out. Aren't we supposed to be the masters of the dark arts? Pompey seemed more than adept at it. 6 minutes of injury time, tut tut!

• He was the biggest prick we've come across since Hylton.

Weapons grade twat

• Get sido back in the team

• To be honest I actually thought they were quite poor at their gamesmanship. We at least usually try and be a little bit subtle about it but they were just so blatant.

But as others have said despite the result it was a cracking game. I thought first 10-15 minutes we were in for a hiding, but gradually we brought them down to our level and from the half hour mark it was fairly even and but for a couple of pretty good saves we could have gone in level.

After we gave them the second goal we suddenly seemed to play with freedom and really started to cause them problems. That may have been due to them stepping off the pace a bit but by the end they were hanging on a bit.

Credit Allsop. In fairness he didn't have a lot to do but his kicking out of defence was pretty good today and the defence seemed to function pretty well apart from a couple of lapses.

I felt for Samuel when he miskicked that first 'sitter'. Good to see Scotty go up and encourage him after he missed the header soon after (how good a cross was that?).

• Bean was miles offside for the first wasn't he?

• According to M. Harriman after the match the discussion between lino & ref was as to whether Beano had actually touched the ball (which he surely did). Odd, therfore, to see the goal credited to Bean.
    Bizarre.

• Whole thing was weird, starting with the lateness of the flag

• But yeah, Bean touched and he looked well offside

• Thompson for Bloomers changed the match with Thommo bringing more energy and strength. Portsmouth fans showed no class booing an injured opponent off the field. Can’t believe Jackett claimed that they had the worse decisions from the ref - I didn’t count but they seemed to have endless free kicks. Also their oaf no.9 got away with constant fouling - shirt pulling and pushing on Stewart. CB Burgess is an absolute tart & his celebrations at the end showed what he was all about.

All in all a great game ... and the last 30 minutes alone gives me hope we will survive or go down in an almighty scrap.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.