Skip to content

New revenue streams

So thinking about how WW could increase non match day income. 2 sources come to mind.
Have we ever had any form of sports bar. Something that could be open 7 days a week showing matches/ sport. Food/drink on offer. Could be a decent income earner.
Then after the wknd match. It was interesting to note how different aspects of the game seemed to be sponsored, from the ball, the goal, the referee, etc.
There must be other ways we aren’t generating money!

Comments

• Good idea.

Open a sports bar 7 days per week with a management that can’t operate a T Bar to any adequate standard on a match day.

Identify more inventory for a management who can’t sell what they currently have to any adequate market standard.

Best thing that can happen is new buyers and their already identified CEO come in, shift out the chairman and General Manager and get some basic good experience and practice into our club.

• edited April 2019

The "Centre Spot" now Monty's was open from day 1 at AP, the bar is so far out of town it hasn't a chance of competing with pubs. It reduced opening times year on year. Drink drive laws have killed pubs not in the town centre.

• Indeed Marlow. If a piss up in a brewery can’t be done now. Then surely couldn’t do anything more!

• It did make me cringe a bit, but would it be the worst idea in the world to have our substitutions and goals sponsored as Oxford did on Saturday? That might be the start of a slippery slope, but then again football in general is on it already.

• Much to be done over the summer in many areas for now I think we should concentrate on the 'winning games' revenue stream.

• @Fit2drop said:
    The "Centre Spot" now Monty's was open from day 1 at AP, the bar is so far out of town it hasn't a chance of competing with pubs. It reduced opening times year on year. Drink drive laws have killed pubs not in the town centre.

I have sometimes wondered how many of the people guzzling post game then get straight into their cars, very obviously over the limit

• Not sure a 7 day per week bar is the answer to be honest.

I see Peterborough have just sold naming rights to their stadium for £2m over 10 years (£200k per year). They are probably seen as a bigger club than us and hence worth more in sponsorship terms. Hypothetically if a local firm offered £100k per year to name the stadium the "Focusrite Arena", would you take the money?

• I don't know if you were around at the time Dev, but we saw exactly how the "Causeway" stadium went down a decade or so ago.

• If the income from stadium naming rights would make the difference between the club being able to survive as a "supporter owned" entity or not then I'm sure that many who otherwise would prefer not to sell those rights would accept doing so.

If the Luby/Collis bid gets voted through in a couple of weeks time it will likely be out of supporters' control, with the new owners able to sell the naming rights to whoever they wish.

• @Malone said:

@Fit2drop said:

I have sometimes wondered how many of the people guzzling post game then get straight into their cars, very obviously over the limit

I am a "guzzler" but always at least 3 in the car and rotate drivers so 3 weeks on one week non guzzler. I would add nowhere near as many guzzlers as the egg chasers.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure a 7 day per week bar is the answer to be honest.

I see Peterborough have just sold naming rights to their stadium for £2m over 10 years (£200k per year). They are probably seen as a bigger club than us and hence worth more in sponsorship terms. Hypothetically if a local firm offered £100k per year to name the stadium the "Focusrite Arena", would you take the money?

No

• Focusrite are more in to online marketing so it's not really an option I need to worry about.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure a 7 day per week bar is the answer to be honest.

No

• No, I don’t like that name - too close to FocusUp.

• @ Uncle_T Unless the trust intend to sell FALL to the American's I can't see how they could get a sponsorship to change the Stadium Name.. Frank Adams Legacy means what it states.

• @wformation Yes, I was forgetting that; although the fact that the FALL board signed off on securing the US loan against the stadium could be an indication that they would sign off on a stadium naming sponsorship also.

Personally, if the naming deal would pay for replacing the Frank Adams stand roof and fixing the toilets and other parts of the ground that seem to be disintegrating currently, then I wouldn't be opposed to it.

• Maybe we can find a company called Adams to sponsor the stadium? Problem solved.

• @Shev said:
    Maybe we can find a company called Adams to sponsor the stadium? Problem solved.

What we need are owners who massively prop up sponsorship deals eons beyond the market value, so that we beat "financial fair play" and take an outrageous advantage over other teams.

(disclaimer - obviously this doesn't happen at the top of the Premier league, just saying)

• @Shev said:
    Maybe we can find a company called Adams to sponsor the stadium? Problem solved.

Strange you should say that Shev. I was totally against the re-naming of the stadium all those years ago so I did some research and found a local company called Adams who sold kids toys, if I remember correctly. I approached them but sadly they weren’t interested in sponsoring us.
    Wonder if they’re still in business?

• @glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:

Strange you should say that Shev. I was totally against the re-naming of the stadium all those years ago so I did some research and found a local company called Adams who sold kids toys, if I remember correctly. I approached them but sadly they weren’t interested in sponsoring us.

As that decision shows they're not complete amateurs, then I'd imagine they have a chance!

LOL

• @Shev said:

How about Bryan Adams, I'm sure he could spare a few quid, maybe a charity duet with the Gaffer too.

• Tony?

• @niebieski said:

@Shev said:

How about Bryan Adams, I'm sure he could spare a few quid, maybe a charity duet with the Gaffer too.

Good shout, though with his perpetual ties to Robin Hood owing to the song that shall not be named, he may show more interest in @Wendoverman's old stomping ground.

• Lets keep it on informal first name terms. Adam Johnson hoping to get back into football....

• What about the Addams Family. They could replace Stroud with Uncle Fester!

• @niebieski said:

@Shev said:

Bryan's steadfast veganism might lead to even more hysterical bleating about burger quality in the food kiosks.

• @glasshalffull said:

Did they have a shop in the Chilterns Centre?

• Don’t know, I found their name online.

• @Shev 'Everything I do....I do it for Blues...'