Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

12346»

Comments

• Kashket would be good in a much better league 1 team than ours, but in our position he's a bit dead weight for most of the game I fear, and we can't afford to carry that.

• As suggested above, I wonder if the thought of signing an unattached goalkeeper has crossed Gareth’s mind at all.

Looking at the lists of unattached players that can be found online, the only name that really stood out for me was Jake Kean who was released by Sheffield Wednesday in the summer. He had a brief spell with Mansfield around the turn of the year but wasn’t taken on - they’ve two decent keepers already.

He’s played a bit in the Championship but then become one of those keepers that’s seen a promising career largely dwindle away largely sat on the bench at second tier clubs - Matt Ingram be warned.

• @theatreofchairs isn't that more or less a description of rocky's career? What would kean offer that allsopp doesn't?

• Yes I think that’s fair comment. Although it’s dangerous to look at two players appearance records and assume they are the same standard. Football’s not always fair and some players get opportunities that others don’t.

To be honest, I don’t really know enough about Kean to be a strong advocate of taking such a radical option. I’ve seen him play but I couldn’t tell you too much about him. Although Gareth may given he played for Blackburn a fair bit.

I was more wondering aloud whether it might be something he’s considering - a kind of Fergie and Jim Leighton type moment - and if he was what his options might be.

My guess though is that we’ll see Ryan Allsop in goal on Saturday.

• Have to say, very good support from yourselves on Saturday dare I say the best to have entered the 3 sided breeze block this season. Massive result for us probably sees us safe.. Cant see you going down this season, a lot better than any of the others around the bottom we have played. Until next time..

• What a pleasant change for an opposition fan to come on here with some intelligent and even complimentary comments. Thank you and I’m sure we’ll be playing you again next season in league one.

• Thanks @Oxfordguest977, though I'm surprised to see that 976 Oxfordguests had registered for the gasroom before you.

• I like the idea of starting a front two of Tyson and Samuel to give the opposition the runaround for 60-70 minutes, then swapping them for Bayo and Scotty K to give the tiring defenders a whole new set of problems to deal with.

I know the second half of Plymouth away has taken on near mythic proportions, but the introduction of those two really did cause havoc among the Argyle defence.

• Tyson in the middle of a 3 or as 1 of a 2 has to be worth a shot. I'm not expecting him to be at his prolific, early career best, but he's not going to have a lost his striker's instinct - something in which we're very much lacking at the moment.

• I thought you were very unlucky on Saturday, and inevitably the penalty was pivotal.
    That said the reason for the defeat was clear to see. The League 1 stats show that you have possession of the ball less than any other side in League 1, yet you have the most crosses, that suggests you have to be very very direct. I suspect your renowned time wasting, sorry game management tactics are in play to literally give players a rest.

During the game you literally fought like dogs, but because of the lack of possession your teams legs inevitably went. We stretched the pitch and you literally ran yourself into the ground, if that happens every week, I can see why goals get conceded late and leads get lost.
    Good luck in the final few games. Your support was really vocal and credit to you all.

• @th100 totally agree...I thought the same about CMS but was reliably informed he had failed in that role earlier in the season. Having said that @Jonny_King also has a good point. (I realise I am becoming the man on the Fast Show who agrees with whatever he heard last...) @Oufc67 you could well be right!

• @oufc67 Your comment "We stretched the pitch and you literally ran yourself into the ground" sums it up pretty well, I think. It was evident from early on in the match that Oxford were switching the ball around, using the full width of the pitch, and Wycombe were using a lot of energy chasing around after it like "piggies in the middle".

• I don't like the sound of us literally fighting like dogs though.

• edited April 2019

• The way we've reduced our own pitch to minimum acceptable standards backs the Oxford lad's point up methinks!

Teams who want to keep the ball and stretch the play don't do that!

• And there’s me thinking that the passing game is more energy-sapping than the more direct style which we tend to employ.
    I thought that theory was illustrated on Sunday when Sunderland totally dominated the first half with some of the quickest and slickest passing you could wish to see but seemed to run out of steam in the second half. But maybe the truth is that a rollicking from Kenny Jacket at half-time fired Portsmouth up to such an extent that they were able to dominate the second half.

Thank you @Oxfordguest977 and @Oufc67 for your kind words. I’m sure I’m not alone in appreciating such welcome re-assurance at a time when our spirits are at a fairly low ebb. The only way is up.

• It has to be more knackering chasing the ball then having it yourself.

Which is why we pounce on any semblance of contact, delay every setpiece and goal kick, and reduced our pitch size to minimum levels.