Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Yves casual slow play was riling a lot of fans today and understandably so. Don't expect or want to see him again this season. We need to now accept that Allsop is the least worst option.

• Allsop is a perfectly fine keeper at this level. Yves Ma-Kalambay less so.

• Allsop's time wasting ability is probably more professional than Brown or Yves. However I don't like the principle of it (sorry Mr Parry), and I believe I am not the only one who dislikes the tactic.

• @MBS trouble is we're in a relegation fight in League 1 with next to no money and haven't won in our last 10 matches. Our players aren't in the same class as Bobby Moore.
    I'll still take a win by almost any means next week and leave others to debate how 'the beautiful game' should be played.

• Is it just me or were there more than our fair share of idiots there today? I witnessed at least two in our section attempting to smash seats at the final whistle - we have no right to complain about our own ground being vandalised when we have individuals following our club that are capable of the same.

• Also a massive shame that Thompson has gone totally off the boil. Easily player of the season till Feb but quite anonymous since. Clearly uncomfortable when he found himself in wide position today (which isn't his fault of course).

• You get the usual idiots as well turning up at 14.59 pissed, squeezing 4 of them into a two seat space and blocking the view of the children next to them who been there since 14.15

• I love my club, I love the squad spirit, I love the fans commitment. It’s the first time I’ve ever posted something like this but I just can’t take this s#.t anymore .
    -Yves, not an EFL keeper.
    -JJ lack of pace has caught up with him.
    -Adam career grinding to a halt, Gaz refuses to acknowledge, bring back Sido.

• Bayo see above.
    • Harri chasing shadows hardly surprising given so little game time.
      -Jason Mc inexperience showing, headless at times.

• Thomo absolutely out on his feet, gave so much to earn his contract, season can’t end soon enough for him.
      -Dom G can’t create things all on his own.

• Beano, if he is one of our best players, which he was on the day, then really what is going on.
      Samuel, ten for effort but really League One? come on!
      Nick F, potential but not a starter at this level.

• Paris / Blooms, impact subs? No!
      -Tools, possibly the only one out there today worthy of playing at this level still.

• Rest of the squad could leave tomorrow and we wouldn’t miss them.
      I really don’t know if it is worth clinging on at this level playing rubbish hoof ball / time wasting c~@p.
      As low as I’ve felt about our future for a very long time. Please don’t have a go at me I just needed to vent.

• For what it’s worth, I thought the ref managed the game well, especially his treatment of Bayo.

• Today was the 10th game without a win.

The 3rd game in the last 4 were the team has conceded in stoppage time.

A total of 3 points from the last 30.

The last win in the league came on January 26th.

26 points have been dropped this season after Wycombe have taken the lead in league matches this season.

The team has averaged 0.13 points in the last 8 matches, the lowest by far of all teams.

Have a look at the tables here:
    https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3

Very alarming to look at the form table (last 8 matches).

I think we need a another Torquay miracle to stay up.

• Re the time wasting...4 minutes added time minus 6 substitutions equals 1 minute. Very rare to see any game with less than that added on.

Agree with many of the comments so far. Gape and Stewart didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Samuel works hard but I don't recall him and Bayo together ever being effective this season. Yves, never again - I'm a massive fan of GA but it would simply not be acceptable to see him start vs Portsmouth. And surely for the home games some more PCH to try to improve last third creativity?

• Not quite that bad yet @raglan old chap- we needed snookers that day

• Gareth Ainsworth does not seem to know his best starting lineup or formation.

Yves Ma-Kalambay was not convincing today, was insecure and hesitant. The defenders do not seem to trust him and can you blame them? Allsop must surely start the next game.

Are Stewart and Sido the best central defensive partnership?
    Should El-Abd be dropped?

Why on earth did Ainsworth start with Thompson on the right? If PCH was not fit for 90 minutes - why not start with Harriman on the right? Speaking of Harriman, does anyone know why he was dropped from the squad? Is this another Saunders thing, something that we will not know much about?

I love Bayo but he seems to offer little or is too predictable. Should he be our plan B on the bench?

In my mind we are missing that creative spark in the middle; that O´Nien / Morris / Saunders type of player.

Shocking how the teams form has dropped since January. We really miss Morris, Williams and Onyedinma.

Possible lineups:

4-3-3:

GK: Allsop

RB: McCarthy
    DC: Sido
    DC: Stewart
    LB: JJ or Harriman

MC: Gape
    MC: Thomspon
    MC: Bloomfield

RW: PCH
    SC: Samuel
    LW: Tyson

4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1

GK: Allsop

RB: McCarthy
    DC: Sido
    DC: Stewart
    LB: JJ or Harriman

RW: PCH
    MC: Gape
    MC: Thompson
    LW: Tyson

SC: Kashket
    SC: Samuel

• Team for Portsmouth.
    Allsop, McCarthy, Sido, Stewart, Jacobson
    Cowan-Hall, Gape, Thompson, Freeman
    Bloomfield, Samuel.

There is no room for Yves, El-Abd or Bayo if we want to get anything out of our next two home games.
    Yes JJ and Thomo look jaded and out on their feet and Samuel is not a great goal threat but in my opinion this 11 is the best we can put out at the moment.

• edited March 2019

Issue is we've got a League 2 squad.

Thinking sensibly, Gaz did incredibly well to get us promoted last year - upon losing O'Nien, CMS, and all the loanees from the start of the season, our squad is now worst now than it was last year.

Those calling for Ainsworth to go must have rocks in their head - he's had little money to build the team in Jan, highlighted by QPR and Man City loanees who can't get in the side, and again did an incredible job to get us promoted last season.

Having said that, the way he set up the team was baffling today - pretty much a midfield diamond with Bean as the 10, and Thompson as a right-winger. Bizarre.

And our own fans were embarrassing today - the seat I was given and shown to was at the top of the stand, and it was then mobbed by the Green Street Elite. At least 20 of them across about 3 seats, who didn't care at all.

• And our best spell was when we had the loan keepers.

• Just an overview of the impact of the loanees/losing them (final column has gone down to 0.92 PPG after today):

• edited March 2019

Fred and Williams - during the great Autumn run, when we sat deep and broke quickly.

Also, on Twitter people asking where CMS is - he's not getting in the side for a relegation-bound Notts County side, and when he is... gives away penalties.

• I actually think we have played well for the last several games. We are the odd bounce away from an amazing winning run. The bad results make the team look bad in hindsight, and we do have our weaknesses, but we generally go toe to toe with everyone in L1.

I remain really proud of this manager and team, and I would be so gutted for their sake if we did go down. I do think the tide will turn, but I could see us needing three wins from the last five.

• Well said Shev, a much needed shining light of positivity at a time when there’s so much negativity. We have our problems for sure but some people have us relegated already.

• While I understand some of the defeatism on display tonight I do think we edged today’s game and can definitely count ourselves unlucky to come away with nothing at all.

Of course our record over the last 10 games is poor but we don’t look a broken side and there’s no obvious suggestion Gareth has lost the dressing room.

Though I would agree with the comment made by several others that Gareth seems to be at a loss to identify his best 11.

This was always going to be a tough season, along with Accrington we have comfortably the lowest playing budget. I’d have taken 17th place with seven games left at the start of the season, though.

Plenty to play for, let’s keep the faith.

• Most baffling thing for me today was why it took so long to bring on PCH, we immediately looked more of a threat with him on.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Team for Portsmouth.
    Bloomfield, Samuel.

There is no room for Yves, El-Abd or Bayo if we want to get anything out of our next two home games.
    Yes JJ and Thomo look jaded and out on their feet and Samuel is not a great goal threat but in my opinion this 11 is the best we can put out at the moment.

Agree with this. We are getting overrun in games because the shape is too open. A return to a more compact 4231 would at least give us a chance to build a more stable platform in games. We are not going to outscore teams at the moment so it needs to be 1-0 and low score draws to stay up. It might not be pretty but needs must.

I also think blooms should play every game. We desperately need his discipline and leadership on the pitch right now.

• On the seating issue point, I can see it from both sides. People coming in half cut at 2:55 and trying to stand at the back in a full area isn’t helpful at all. Some of the guys that arrived late caused a bit of a fuss and upset some of the kids, which isn’t acceptable.

Having said that, there is quite a bit of naivety among people that come in early and head to the back rows with kids or older folks and then want to sit. Everybody knows that some people prefer to stand and will logically do so at the back of the stand.

• @Twizz said:
    Our players aren't in the same class as Bobby Moore.

Hopefully they can nick a few points like Bobby nicked that bracelet.

Yes. I'm one of the few Wycombe fans who is Scottish.

• I like @Blue_since_1990’s suggested lineup for next Saturday’s match and Bloomfield would be the obvious skipper but he would surely need to be one of the three behind Samuel in the 4-2-3-1 formation which @Glenactico sensibly suggests.

• @Glenactico said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Team for Portsmouth.
    Bloomfield, Samuel.

Agree with this. We are getting overrun in games because the shape is too open. A return to a more compact 4231 would at least give us a chance to build a more stable platform in games. We are not going to outscore teams at the moment so it needs to be 1-0 and low score draws to stay up. It might not be pretty but needs must.

I also think blooms should play every game. We desperately need his discipline and leadership on the pitch right now.

Agree with Blue_since_1990 and Glenactico

A 4-2-3-1.
    Would prefer Tyson to Freeman. Bayo to be used as an impact sub.

Allsop
    McCarthy, Sido, Stewart, Jacobson or Harriman
    Gape, Thompson
    Cowan-Hall, Bloomfield or Kashket, Tyson
    Samuel

4-4-2

Allsop
    McCarthy, Sido, Stewart, Jacobson or Harriman
    Cowan Hall, Gape, Thompson, Tyson
    Samuel, Kashket

• I don’t think you can leave Freeman out. Tyson is of course available next Saturday and, preposterous as many will regard the idea, I have seen enough defensive covering from him over the years to think that he could do a decent job at left back.

• I heard GA say in a pre-match interview with @bluntphil that Luke Bolton is still carrying an injury but I got the impression that he could be fit for next Saturday. Does anyone think that he may still have a role to play? And is Charlie Owens performing so indifferently in training that he is not considered good enough even to make the odd substitute appearance?

• @Glenactico said:
    Also a massive shame that Thompson has gone totally off the boil. Easily player of the season till Feb but quite anonymous since. Clearly uncomfortable when he found himself in wide position today (which isn't his fault of course).
    @glasshalffull said:
    Well said Shev, a much needed shining light of positivity at a time when there’s so much negativity. We have our problems for sure but some people have us relegated already.

All you really do is wait for people to post nonsense and then call it out. Fair enough.

But I think, given that you do this for a job, occasionally we'd like to hear what you think about what is happening on the pitch rather than your critique of other posters