Skip to content

Strongest starting lineup?

2»

Comments

• STEVE ABBLEY INTERVIEW

****Q1: You were signed by Jim Kelman in the summer of 1988, what made you decide to join Wycombe Wanderers? ****

I had left Cheltenham at the end of the previous season, and Mark Boyland and Martin Blackler, both friends of mine, had gone to Wycombe Wanderers and spoke highly of the Club. I called Jim Kelman and asked if I could come out during pre-season with a view to signing.

**Q2: How did you find Jim Kelman as a manager, and did you develop much in style as a player under him? **

I thought Jim was a first-class Manager; he believed in playing the game at a high tempo, so he set high standards for fitness, and his coaching sessions were excellent. He was a good communicator and easy to talk to.

I was already into my 30s when I went to Wycombe Wanderers but Jim's style of play suited me perfectly.

**Q3: Do you think you were responsible for devising and developing the wing-back role? How often did Dave Carroll give you grief for making him cover for you, whilst you surged up the wing? **

It came about by accident; our right-back was injured for an away game at Welling United and Jim asked me to drop back in behind Dave Carroll in a 4-4-2 formation, which we switched to 3-5-2 at half time. The role proved to be made for me. Dave was a fit young lad - he didn't mind!

**Q4: You were renowned for being hard, physical players? Who was the toughest opponent you came across? **

I like to think we could play a bit, too. I can't pick out an individual but it was always a tough physical battle at Altrincham, Runcorn or Macclesfield. Having said that, I could not imagine a tougher opponent than Glyn Creaser.

**Q5: Who was the best player you played with at Wycombe? **

I think the most talented was Kevin Durham, the fittest was Dave Carroll and the quickest was John Kerr.

**Q6: How was your relationship with Martin O'Neill? How do you react to his comments that "They needn't have employed me at all, they already had a manager" and that your influence on the dressing room was strongly negative? **

There are 3 questions here:

(a) I didn't really have the time to build a relationship with Martin O'Neill, I think I only played a few games under him before we fell out.

(b) That comment is nonsense. The players had elected me to be their representative in talking to the Club Management regarding any grievances. When Martin O'Neill arrived I informed him of that and asked if he was OK with it. He assured me that he was.

(c) I have no idea what he means by that comment. I never attempted to undermine him in the dressing room; in fact, I was strongly supportive of him, when the team was initially sceptical of him and his methods. If he felt threatened by my presence that says more about him than it does about me.

Q7: Who did you play for after leaving Wycombe? **

After leaving Wycombe Wanderers, I joined Gloucester City but I suffered a serious knee injury early in the season which kept me out for 6 months.

**Q8: Did you ever go into management? **

No, I always fancied the business side of the game more than team management. Players are too high maintenance!

**Q9: Has your view of football and the attitude of players changed since you have become involved with Cirencester Town in the chairman role? **

There has been more change in football in the last 10-15 years than in the previous 40. The influence of money, foreign players, rule changes, the Taylor Report, Sky TV, and the Football Foundation have had a massive effect on players, managers and spectators. Players are much more conscious of money, rather than playing at the highest level they can; they are more time-conscious and, therefore, more travel averse. Managers have to produce instant results and fans are more fickle and demanding.

**Q10: You're investing money into Cirencester in a way not entirely unlike Steve Hayes is doing at Wycombe: (a) Do you worry about getting the club accustomed to a lifestyle which can't be maintained after you've gone? And
    (b) when do you stop putting money in? **

The Cirencester project has been great fun and hugely satisfying for me. We took a small provincial Club playing in the Hellenic League with a small pitch and Clubhouse to a 17 acre site with 6 pitches, a stadium, Clubhouse, an indoor arena and superb facilities. We now run teams at every age group from Under 7s to Under 18s, two academy sides and a Ladies team; it isn't just about the first team.

I have contributed more time and expertise than money but any money that I have donated has been used to improve our revenue-generating ability, rather than going on player wages. So, no I don't worry about the Club after I am not there, and I don't spend any more than most people do on their hobby.

**Q11: What was your high point at Wycombe? **

Winning away at Maidstone, over Christmas, the year that they won promotion.

**Q12: When we spoke to Jim Kelman recently, he said that losing to Hyde United in the FA Trophy was one of his biggest disappointments in his time at the club. Was it your biggest disappointment at Wycombe? If not, what was? **

My biggest disappointment was leaving the Club, under the circumstances that I did. I had a great time at Wycombe and got on really well with the players, supporters and Manager. I had hoped to end my career there.

Q13: Are you still in touch with any of the players you were with at Loakes Park, and do you come across any playing for your opponents now?**

Martin Blackler is our Assistant Manager, so I see a lot of him. I bump into Mark Boyland and John Granville occasionally in Swindon but most of guys have now finished playing so I don't see anyone else.

• Love that. Note that's my favourite ever Wycombe game also that win at Maidstone when they were money bags. Total football John Kerr at his best.

• Seems a very articulate guy with the right approach to the business side of things. Shame things didn't work out with MoN.

• What is John Kerr most famous for? (outside of the diving header)

• @peterparrotface Wearing a really tall hat?

• @peterparrotface said:
    What is John Kerr most famous for? (outside of the diving header)

Being the most one footed player in history.

• Well before my time but a one footed player making diving headers in a tall hat makes Conference football sound fantastic!

• You needed a tall hat with an 11 foot slope

• Well this is a shame, I've just checked COTN and can find no evidence of Andy Kerr wearing a really tall hat. Jason Cousins definitely had one though and who would say he didn't deserve it?

• Nice interview with Abbley there.
    A difficult mission to get anyone to believe he was harshly dealt with though, when it's the legendary MON on the other side.

I dare say Dave Carroll was too darn nice a chap to tell him to get back and defend where he should be!

• M3GM3G
    edited March 2019

@Malone, No it was a significant event at the time. I would say most of us liked Abbley and his mauriding runs, so were puzzled by the decision. But as history proved it was probably the correct one.

• Easy to confuse Andy Kerr with John Kerr @Jonny_King !

• Ah so is John Kerr one of the tall-hatted in that famous picture? Bit before my time so I only recognise Cousins and not the other two. J Kerr was a USA international wasn't he?

• Yes. Went on to front Simple Minds.

• Nah, the Kerr in Simple Minds was Juan.