Skip to content

Saturday entertainment

Having been cruelly denied our Saturday fix of all things quartered, it’s time to look further afield for some entertainment this week-end. Below is a list of games that might whet the appetite - I’ve included one special game in Tolworth, Surrey as well. If you’re a bit more adventurous, a visit to Corinthian Casuals ground to see them play league leaders Dorking Wanderers is a great way to spend this coming Saturday (satnav: KT6 7NA or Tolworth railway station). If you prefer something nearer to South Bucks try these:

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

Boreham Wood v Aldershot Town

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH:

Brackley Town v Kidderminster Harriers

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Hemel Hempstead Town v East Thurrock Utd
Oxford City v Dulwich Hamlet
St Albans City v Gloucester City
Wealdstone v Chippenham Town
Woking v Slough Town

ISTHMIAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Corinthian Casuals v Dorking Wanderers

ISTHMIAN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE SOUTH CENTRAL:

Chalfont St Peter v Northwood

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION CENTRAL:

Banbury United v Biggleswade Town

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION SOUTH:

Beaconsfield Town v Gosport Borough

SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE CENTRAL:

Aylesbury United v Bedford Town (at Chesham United FC)
Berkhamsted v Didcot Town
Thame United v Coleshill Town

HELLENIC LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Holmer Green v Lydney Town

HELLENIC LEAGUE DIVISION ONE EAST:

Chinnor v Penn & Tylers Green
Holyport v Abingdon Town
Wallingford Town v Burnham

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Tring Athletic v Arlesey Town

I hope you find somewhere interesting to go and, if you feel inclined, might put a short match report on this thread at the week-end.

Comments

• Got to be Hemel, never seen a league game their before !!

• Please don't put £19 of your hard-earned money into Danny Hunter's pocket at Borehamwood.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Got to be Hemel, never seen a league game their before !!

If I promise to check my facts from 40 years ago, will you promise to check your spelling? It’s ‘there’ not ‘their’.

• edited March 2019

@glasshalffull , He could at least get it right when he's mocking someone ;)

• amazing that not all that long ago we were playing Kidderminster in a football league game now they're at the same level as Brackley.

• More that Brackley have risen up levels. Another club unsustainable at this level with out the funding of a rich benefactor.

• Now where could we get one of those ?

• The land of the free and home of the brave!??

• I think my preferred choice will be lunch at the Ace Cafe in Stonebridge Park then a burn-up round the North Circular Road to Haringey Borough v Enfield Town - big local derby in the Bostik (Isthmian) League Premier Division.

• At thame today. £8 quid entrance. £4 for a tea and a hot dog. As it stands thame down 1 nil defensive mix up.

• @peterparrotface yeah mate really decent. Be tempted to go back there and have a few in the bar and then the town centre

• Went to watch my local team Oxford City beat Dulwich 4-1. All over by half time really at 4-0. City's Kabongo Tshimanga continues to impress and I'd love to see him at Wycombe. Rumours are he might be off to Exeter in the summer. The best player I've seen for City since a certain Jermaine McSporran. Probably the best name since McSporran too.

• @Wheresthechips, the burgers and hot dogs at Thame are top quality. As they lost 2-0 to Coleshill Town, I expect Westy Snr turned the air blue as normal!

• What an interesting day out - ostensibly to watch Haringey Borough v Enfield Town.

After an excellent all-day breakfast at the world-famous Ace Cafe on the North Circular Road Mr Peart & I had a bit of time to spare so we called in to look at Hendon’s new ground in Silver Jubilee Park (between West Hendon & Kingsbury).

It’s a tidy little ground with a main stand not dissimilar to the old one at Claremont Road. Behind one goal is a very small stand with about 80 seats in it while the other end has a tiny bit of covered terracing. Along the side opposite the main stand there are 2 separate small stands of terracing. It’s small but adequate without being exciting. It has a 4G pitch which allows it to be shared with Edgware Town. The officials kindly let us walk round the ground prior to their game with Hartley Wintney.

When we parked up in White Hart Lane, Haringey we walked into the ground without being stopped at all. There was a big seated stand and terracing opposite. Quite impressive but not many people around. On the way in we even bumped into Glyn Creaser and said hello.

Here’s your chance to laugh at us!!! After about 10 minutes we realised we were in the wrong ground!!! It turns out that the New River Stadium is the home of a Spartan League Division One team called “Park View FC”. They were at home to Milton Keynes Robins (formerly Buckingham Town) hence bumping into Glyn Creaser.

A quick embarrassed scurry half a mile up the road and we finally found Haringey Borough FC. The third ground of the day and the third with a 4G pitch. The best view at the ground is from the main stand which holds around 200 people. However, it was full - part of an excellent crowd of 875 for this “A10” local derby. £10 to get in (£5 over 60s) & £1 for a tea. Great value.

The game itself lived up to all expectations with the home side winning 3-1 having trailed 0-1 early on. The sizeable crowd created a good atmosphere & the game flowed from end-to-end. Haringey levelled at 1-1 thanks to a spectacular shot from Joel Nouble and then Cameroon keeper Valery Pajetat saved an Enfield penalty on the stroke of half-time. A Nouble penalty put the home side ahead before a superb breakaway wrapped up the points with a 3-1 home win.

Fantastic entertainment for the money & lots of potential players on show. If WWFC want a back-up keeper next season the 33 year old Valery Pajetat must be an option. And there were several other nuggets to keep an eye on. Haringey Borough is the sort of place future stars will come from.

So 3 grounds, a great game and a decent all-day breakfast. Having the odd game called off due to international commitments can’t be too bad!!!

• Barwell v AFC Rushden and Diamonds for me this afternoon. Well contested game that finished 1-1, which seemed a fair result. Barwell started the better. Rushden then missed an early penalty, after which the match proceeded with alternating spells during which each team seemed to be on top. Both goals in second half.

Crowd was 346, of which I estimate at least half were visiting Rushden and Diamonds fans.

• @A_Worboys said:

After an excellent all-day breakfast at the world-famous Ace Cafe on the North Circular Road...

So 3 grounds, a great game and a decent all-day breakfast.

Andy. @Jocks_little_helper may be in touch soon about FFIT...

(Just jealous - sounds a good day)

• The Haringey Ultras are called The Bell Enders (really), their signature song is the Tom Robinson 'Glad To Be Gay' song, to the words of 'Sing if you're Haringey, sing if you're happy that way'. I really like this club.

• @steve_peart the air was indeed blue. Thame missed a penalty in first half stoppage time which would have been an equaliser. They probably had the better of the 2nd half, one against the bar, one off the line. Got hit with a sucker punch 2nd goal but it was a great strike straight in the hope bin left foot curler. Definitely worth a repeat visit.

• Well on my non WWFC day, I filled it with Romford Raiders V Bracknell Bees. A very lively fast & furious 1st leg play off match that ended 1-1, 2nd leg tomorrow night in Bracknell. A packed crowd with air horns, (bloody annoying, almost as much as those VooVoo zeal things in SA), and perplex thumping generally made for a good atmosphere. Almost guaranteed there will be plenty of "aggression" on the ice in the return match.

• Did Beaconsfield v Gosport entertaining 4-3 win for the home side in lovely spring sunshine,

• People versus ERG for me
    Crowd over 1 million
    Result not yet known

• Not over 17 million though

• But rather more than the 77 Farage got to his open top bus tour.

• Boreham Wood 0 Aldershot 2

The table suggests Shots are down but they dominated this one and more than deserved it. Rendell scored a penalty (some things never change), McClure had a good cameo appearance off the bench, and McCoy an unused sub. Waddock still in charge despite a horrendous run of results. Crowd 809 with 199 away. BW are just starting to build a new covered seated stand behind the goal. They don't appear to have much of a fanbase at all, lots of groundhoppers and fans of other local clubs there.

Just a tenner to get in with a WW Season ticket.

• Not surprised you got it wrong @A_Worboys Silver Jubilee park (pre 4g) was home to Kingsbury Town when I last went some time ago. Good to see them doing a lot of community and youth work there now. Seems all of the teams round this way have gone bust and moved around.

• Yes I went to Kingsbury Town way back late 80's for a game. They are now called London Tigers after a merger and ground share at Northwood! It's such a Shame the merry go round of old London clubs.

• @StrongestTeam It was actually Park View & Haringey Borough we got wrong. Both clubs are on the same road (White Hart Lane) although Tottenham’s old ground (White Hart Lane) wasn’t actually on White Hart Lane!

Park View FC have a seated stand that holds 1,000 with quite a bit of open terracing on the opposite side of the ground. It’s actually a better ground than Haringey Borough’s but does have the disadvantage of a running track round the pitch.

• I’m slightly perplexed by @EwanHoosaami’s post. What exactly was being thumped and is the second leg being played tonight or tomorrow night? I realise the forecast mentions a slight frost but what on earth time does the match kick off for it to be played on ice?

• @micra 2nd leg tonight. Apologies for predictive text. It should have read perspex getting thumped, both sides, from players one side and fans the other!