Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

12346»

Comments

• Does it involve any sort of upper body strength? I'm no @Fit2drop

• I saw Elvis Costello at the Hemel Hempstead Pavilion in the 70's. He did 'Miracle Man' from his debut album which was reputedly about Tony Horseman.

• I wouldn't call Hemel a non entity @Malone, the insult 'big clubs' use about us! All clubs are important in their own way, they claim 1885 as their foundation date. I go there two or three times a season.

Anyway, here are our PMFL matches against The Tudors, thanks to Dave Finch.

1969-70:
    27 Jan H W 1-0 (Horseman pen)
    1 Apr A W 2-1 (Faulkner, Searle)

1970-71:
    3 Nov H W 6-1 (Hutchinson, Delaney, Pritchard, Baker, Bremer, Searle) Att: 875
    3 Mar A W 4-2 (Baker, Faulkner, Horseman, Searle)

• @Steve_Peart i learnt the phrase from the great man MON.
    If it's good enough for him it's certainly good enough for me

• @drcongo said:
    I'm considerably younger than @glasshalffull and I can't remember what matches I went to last month. Different people store memories differently, but hey, have a poke if it makes you feel good.

I’m glad it’s not just me. Individual games just blur into each other. I have no idea either way if I’ve ever seen us play at Hemel but I did review Shakin Stevens for the local rag at the Decorum Pavilion.

• I've only been attending games since 2007...but I remember Stan Collymore scoring a fantastic goal at Selhurst Park for Forest if that helps. I don't think the Reds ever played Hemel.

• I seem to recall Stan didn’t enjoy the chants of ‘Ulrika-ka-ka’ ala Shooting Stars that day.

• Oops, posts blurring into each other now as well as matches...

I meant when Stan turned up taking on the Valley one evening. Possibly a friendly but the mind plays tricks as my previous posting proves.

• Hmmm...I suspect your memory is playing tricks there @Lloyd2084 as he had left Forest a few months before Shooting Stars began and a good three years before he was assaulting the beer glugging weather presenter.
    'You're going down with the Leicester...' was the only chant that mattered that day.

• Maybe it’s only the heavy defeats I remember!

• ah yes...when having burnt his bridges at Forest, then having burnt his bridges at Liverpool he went on to burn his bridges at the Villa..

• Careful or you’ll have Mr.Harps on your case!

• I've just noticed that Shrewsbury is spelt incorrectly.

• @woodlands said:
    I've just noticed that Shrewsbury is spelt incorrectly.

Ops!

• Just noticed? It's played havoc with us spelling gurus from day one.

Almost as bad as chas harps style of mocking someone then using the wrong version of there.

• I’ve been tortured for days by “Sherwsbury” and “relagation” - the misspellings, not the possibility of a direct connection. I keep mum nowadays. (No quips please. Mother departed this mortal coil 76 years ago!)

• @micra, agreed. Everytime I read those, it sends a serious shudder.

• Like face tattoos. Man buns and teenagers from Aylesbury talking like They is just come from downtown Jamaica...i try not to judge. Innit.

• Man buns? Like Chelsea buns or is that just a wind-up? Having said that, I’m not sure if they comprise a spiral of sticky dough or concentric circles.

• @micra said:
    Man buns? Like Chelsea buns or is that just a wind-up? Having said that, I’m not sure if they comprise a spiral of sticky dough or concentric circles.

We could only hope they weren't real.

• edited March 2019

Sorry old people, I was referring to the appalling fashion prevalent amongst footballers of all Leagues two seasons ago...now not so common (John Marquis aside)...of an Edwardian beard and long hair tied up in a topknot (or man bun). Nothing to do with baking or stickiness...but may cause vomiting.

• As one of the sorry old people I am grateful to my honourable friend for that clarification.