Skip to content

Sleep walking into relagation

Comments

• Did @th100 actually talk about McCarthy being a significant part of the playing budget? I can't see it.

McCarthy has been a great signing for us. Some are assuming he cost more than we have been told and are using it to benchmark him to a higher standard. I like Harriman too by the way.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I meant that I think, realistically, his was our one transfer fee for the season, a luxury buy if you like - and worth every penny. Unless I'm mistaken, Harriman was our last purchase before him.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I like Harriman too by the way.

Me too - just to clarify when I said that McCarthy was a substantial upgrade over Harriman this was not a criticism of Harriman, who is a perfectly fine right back at this level.

• @EwanHoosaami, wasn't the story that the players saw Comanche on the way up and after the victory decided to buy him when they passed by on the way back?

• @EssexWanderer said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Uncle_T said:
    @MBS It's a rare occurrence for a team to be relegated from this league on 52 points, though not impossible. I think Fulham were the last to be relegated from this level with 52 points back in 1994, 25 years ago.

Regardless of statistics, I would prefer not to look back 25 years and pessimisticly wonder if the same fate may befall Wycombe. I am instead looking optimistically back 20 years to the anniversary in May of the memorable occasion at Sincil Bank - 20 or so free coaches, 2500+ Wycombe fans, Paul Emblen, etc. - when survival at this level was ensured with less than 10 minutes remaining on the last day of the 1999 season. Great scenes, never to be forgotten.

Heaven above was that 20 years ago? My wife was heavily pregnant with our 1st born at the time. Memorable scenes indeed, wasn't Comanche purchased on that day by the squad?

Haha snap on the wife pregnant with first born thing. He’s now a loyal supporter, glad to say

Sadly, (re WWFC), my good lady gave birth to a girl, who is now studying @ Roehampton University with view to becoming a primary teacher, she hates all sport. I have threatened my wife with a DNA test as no child of mine could possibly hate sport!!
    On the flip side, a baby boy was delivered 5 years later and he to follows the Chairboys. Many a relative has threatened to report me to the RSPCC as a consequence!

• @Twizz said:
    @EwanHoosaami, wasn't the story that the players saw Comanche on the way up and after the victory decided to buy him when they passed by on the way back?

I believe that is the correct tale amigo.

• edited March 2019

Ok, let's sign off on this thread to start talking about how many we are going to take to the unfinished ground. We will show support for our team and what has already been achieved this season. Both the team and the manager appreciate the support and say how it can make a difference.

I like @micra's idea of taking 1200 to 1500, and I like a vision of the M40 being a river of blue on the 30th. I think it has turned out to be a more important game to the club that the home game against Sunderland, when we had over 5700 fans in the home areas of our 4 sided stadium.

I reckon we will have a fifth of the total crowd of around 8000: the atmosphere will be good but we will make the most noise. We will certainly show a better sense of humour. Looking forward already ....

• We’re not the only team in free fall towards relegation in League One. Southend are too...

• We are bottom of the form table for last 6 matches and 21st for last 10 matches.
    That next win can't come soon enough; Oxford away sounds good.

• We're overloaded with RB options with Sido, Harriman and McCarthy all very capable at this level.

The area we are really short of is an attacking midfielder. We have an occasional performance from Freeman and Blooms that does the job but no-one of consistent quality in that tip of the diamond we often play. If its a midfield 3 they all tend to be workmanlike but lacking creativity. Makes the release of Saunders all the more strange to me. Imagine if we had the option of a player like we had when Eze was on loan. We'd probably be safe by now

• I am making a rare away sortie as one of m'colleagues is a Southend fan we joked at the beginning of the season that it would probably be a six pointer. Ha Ha! Neither of us laughing Now!!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

Sadly, (re WWFC), my good lady gave birth to a girl, who is now studying @ Roehampton University with view to becoming a primary teacher, she hates all sport. I have threatened my wife with a DNA test as no child of mine could possibly hate sport!!

When I’ve completed my thesis on the startling similarities between the WWFC bid process and Brexit I will then move on to examining the influence of highly tense football matches on unborn children in the womb (I can add a third heavily pregnant woman to the list at Lincoln)

• Sadly, (re WWFC), my good lady gave birth to a girl, who is now studying @ Roehampton University with view to becoming a primary teacher, she hates all sport. I have threatened my wife with a DNA test as no child of mine could possibly hate sport!!
    On the flip side, a baby boy was delivered 5 years later and he to follows the Chairboys. Many a relative has threatened to report me to the RSPCC as a consequence!

I think they will come after me first...all 3 are season ticket holders with a 150 mile round trip for home games...

• @bookertease said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

When I’ve completed my thesis on the startling similarities between the WWFC bid process and Brexit I will then move on to examining the influence of highly tense football matches on unborn children in the womb (I can add a third heavily pregnant woman to the list at Lincoln)

Did you make the match? I remember the teletext page flicking over and the joy of seeing the late goal

• I was on a school Geography field trip in the Yorkshire Dales, sitting in a classroom (on a Saturday?!) listening to 5 Live on a walkman radio. Luckily my teacher was a big Watford fan and was forgiving of me jumping out of my seat and running out of the room to celebrate in the corridor with my mate who was in a separate group! I was gutted I couldn't be there, but I will never forget where I was.

• Yes, I was there @EssexWanderer. Stood at the side alongside aforementioned heavily pregnant woman and can remember watching our end going ballistic when Emblen scored. Great day!

I had a similar experience to @YorkExile for the Torquay game however. Couldn't make that to my eternal regret but can picture exactly the curve and drop at the side of the road I was driving along across the Pennines when the commentator from Bristol on Radio 5 matter-of-factly reported that it was all over there.

• I too was at the match with the aforementioned good lady who was 6 1/2 months into her pregnancy. We were stood against a railing and when that goal went in, I remember having to stand behind her to form a "protective shield" as the Blues fans surged forward in celebration. A great day all round. After giving birth, in the July, my wife gave up her season ticket spot and didn't come again until ironically, THE Torquay game!

• It might be helpful if she can make the Oxford match!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    It might be helpful if she can make the Oxford match!

I'm sort of thinking about extending an invitation to SWMBO, but at the moment keeping my powder dry until I'm sure of other "stuff". Wink wink!

• Have I read the league table correctly? If results go against us tomorrow we will be in a relegation place!!

• But not if the sun doesn't rise tomorrow morning as we will all be dead!

• if we lose all our remaining games and everyone else wins there is a real chance of relagation

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Have I read the league table correctly? If results go against us tomorrow we will be in a relegation place!!

It would require Walsall to beat Barnsley, unlikely but anything is possible in this crazy division.

• It would need seven results to go against us

Not impossible, but very unlikely

• @perfidious_albion Yes.

Walsall need to beat Barnsley (h), Southend need to beat Peterborough (a).

Oxford (away at Coventry), Shrewsbury (home to Portsmouth), Scunthorpe (away to Rochdale), Gillingham (away at Wimbledon) and Accrington (away at Burton) only need to avoid defeat.

ALL these results need to happen for us to be in the relegation zone tomorrow night. It's in their individual hands as no-one is playing each other, but clearly very unlikely.

Wouldn't bet against us being sucked right into it eventually, though, after spaffing 5 points up the wall dropping late points in the last fortnight.

• We could also move up the table, if results and involving the teams below us go in our favour, and if Bristol Rovers lose their two games before next weekend by a combined 11+ goals...

• And by the way, I don't think we'll go down - because after we get ourselves in a right pickle and end up behind the 8-ball over the next month, we'll then, out of the blue, when all looks lost, have a blinding six point Easter and then complete the job at home to Fleetwood, who will be 'on the beach' by then.

Buckle up...

• Would you go on the beach at Fleetwood??