Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• @fame_46 said:
    Bang on @Right_in_the_Middle. Depleted squad and tiredness are to blame for the late collapses we are seeing currently.

Yesterday's squad was 90% what we had last season, nothing wrong with that as there are good players but to compete at a higher level you need to add a few.

We lost the added quality in January and have no finance to add further players. The brilliance of the manager is that he understands the precarious financial situation and will protect the club by working within these parameters.

What we are now seeing is the reality of where we actually are and what many believed the scenario would be for us in league 1. An uphill battle and if we stay up by 1 point or goal difference, it would be a success.

I'm concerned, we are in free fall. It's not the managers fault or the playing squad. We've over achieved massively. Money talks at all levels of the game now and we don't have any. Therefore let's be realistic and get behind the manager and playing squad who without doubt give 100% and beyond every time they cross the white line.

Hopefully there are 4 teams below us who are feeling the effects of a long season and somehow we can scrape enough points to get to safety.

Not for the first time @fame46 sees things in a sensible light. Of course GA isn’t perfect but he gets more things right than he gets wrong and considering the difficult circumstances in which he has to operate, he continues to do an excellent job.

• @fame_46 said:
    Bang on @Right_in_the_Middle. Depleted squad and tiredness are to blame for the late collapses we are seeing currently.

Yesterday's squad was 90% what we had last season, nothing wrong with that as there are good players but to compete at a higher level you need to add a few.

We lost the added quality in January and have no finance to add further players. The brilliance of the manager is that he understands the precarious financial situation and will protect the club by working within these parameters.

What we are now seeing is the reality of where we actually are and what many believed the scenario would be for us in league 1. An uphill battle and if we stay up by 1 point or goal difference, it would be a success.

I'm concerned, we are in free fall. It's not the managers fault or the playing squad. We've over achieved massively. Money talks at all levels of the game now and we don't have any. Therefore let's be realistic and get behind the manager and playing squad who without doubt give 100% and beyond every time they cross the white line.

Hopefully there are 4 teams below us who are feeling the effects of a long season and somehow we can scrape enough points to get to safety.

Bang on. Massive game at Poxford in a fortnight

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Yet another thread turns in to a @glasshalffull versus the Gasroom power group bitch off.

Depressingly predictable stuff.

For me yesterday was a massive kick in the stomach. Late goals were ours in the early part of the season but as the squad gets depleted and those left get more knackered the worm has turned.
    One of the reoccurring themes of Ainsworths management has been these long runs of games where we seem unable to get out of a slump. In the past we have turned it around so hopefully we can do it again.

This is a very unfair, negative post. Ainsworth’s tenure has also been notable for runs of good results.

We're definitely a streaky side, I'll agree with that but it's just silly to only focus on one aspect of it

• Hi @eric_plant . I thought I had focused on the current plight, mirrored it to previous long winless runs and finished with the fact we do come out the other side. As usual I am guessing you didn't actually read to the end but it f you did hopefully the clarifies the view I have.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I may have been mistaken in saying Hemel (although we have played them in the FA cup (admittedly a long time ago) but I certainly watched Wycombe from the terraces in our Isthmian League days. Anyway, that’s a side issue compared to someone who thinks our well respected and successful manager can only win by cheating and time wasting. What did you think of those remarks?

We played Hemel in the FA Cup in 1952, you would have been four then, must have been some journey from Merseyside for a toddler, but must applaud your memory.
    On Talksport we have 'Porky Parry' , whilst on the Gasroom we have 'Parry's Porkies'.

• To be fair to Mr Parry, if he was only 4 years old when he saw us play at Hemel, you can understand why he could confuse an FA Cup game with a league game!

• As Hemel never got above Div2 in the isthmian league during our long spell in the Isthmian Prem. It's quite bizarre how Mr Parry plucked that one out. It's a bit like a Liverpool fan claiming to travel to Rochdale on a Tuesday night to cheer on the reds in a league game.
    But as a trained journalist, why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Or @ChasHarps, like many of us he could have had the odd beer before the game and not had any idea where we actually were.

To be fair it pretty much felt that we played at every satellite town around London back in the day (which was part of the fun) so although he was technically incorrect spiritually he wasn’t.

I really don’t get the personal abuse amongst the relatively few of us on here (although I have inadvertently stepped over the line with Marlow in the past) as we are all really wanting the same thing.

It’s fine to disagree with each other as we all have different views and opinions but generally it reflects a lot worse on the person being abusive than the one on the end of it.*

*i do accept that Richie is maybe the exception to the rule.**

**I don’t

• Seeing people on Twitter/ FB bellowing 'sort this out on the training ground! Get them to put the work in!'

Baffling that this can be sorted out with a few more set-piece sessions. It's all mental. Players low on confidence make rash decisions and give away 93rd minute penalties, it's simple as that.

We've got pretty much the same squad as last year (which did extremely well to even get promoted btw)

I fear for us because it's all about form, and we look in freefall right now - a win yesterday would've seen us clear.

Although, and without jumping to conclusions - if it didn't mean dire financial consequences, there's not much difference in watching your team in League 1 than League 2. Who cares which big teams you're playing if you're ultimately losing.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Yet another thread turns in to a @glasshalffull versus the Gasroom power group bitch off.

Depressingly predictable stuff.

For me yesterday was a massive kick in the stomach. Late goals were ours in the early part of the season but as the squad gets depleted and those left get more knackered the worm has turned.
    One of the reoccurring themes of Ainsworths management has been these long runs of games where we seem unable to get out of a slump. In the past we have turned it around so hopefully we can do it again.

Who is in this "power group" out of interest?

And what power is it they have exactly?

• For those prepared to bet against the team, can still get 8-1 on Wyc to be relegated which seems surprisingly generous to me. Bet365 amongst others.

• I've only bet against Wycombe once, as I have an appalling betting record and we needed to win (away to Orient in one of our play off seasons) and we lost / I won and it was such an awful feeling I gave the money to charity.

• Just to pour oil on troubled waters I seem to remember we used to play Hemel Hempstead in the early 70s in the Premier Midweek Floodlit League. Or am I mistaken?

• Thanks for your contribution Andy but it’s obviously much worse for me to mistake a ground that I visited over 40 years ago than it is to accuse our current manager of only being able to win games by cheating and time wasting.

• Very strange post from you Mr Parry.

I think most supporters on this forum (certainly myself) consider Gareth to be the second best manager we have had since Football League status. However, I think it is perfectly reasonable to express our concern over the increasing time wasting tactics he uses. We are getting a bad reputation throughout the league and referees are obviously becoming aware of this tactic which is construed as cheating by many.

You are of course entitled to consider that time wasting is a legitimate tactic to win games. I am not sure however in practice it helps us get more points and certainly is not attractive to myself and others to watch.

• You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I haven’t seen your response to my question from earlier in this thread, ie what do you think of Mr.Harps suggestion that relegation might be a good thing if it led to the departure of GA, a manager who he accused of thinking that the only way to win a game is to cheat and time waste?

• edited March 2019

@A_Worboys If you’re mistaken, then so am I. I have a strange memory of the Midweek League table printed in the old 70’s programmes (light blue paper, dark blue ink) where the table itself had a neat little graphic of a football floodlight against it - and that is definitely where I’ve seen ours and Hemel’s names together. But as @ChasHarps says, never in the Isthmian League.

(PS this is just a personal trip down Memory Lane, and not a contribution to the current ongoing bitchfest)

• Like @LeedsBlue I have a mental picture of Hemel Hempsted printed on one of our early-mid 70s programmes. I’d assumed it was an early FA Cup or FA Amateur Cup game but I am now worried that I was sad enough to attend Midweek Floodlit League games.

From (dodgy) memory March and April were football feasts for WWFC obsessives back then. In amongst the rearranged fixtures (due to postponements/B&B Cup runs, etc) there would seemingly be a friendly every week against some Scandinavian team or other. Was a poor week if there were less than three games to go to. Strange and happy days.

• @glasshalffull said:
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I haven’t seen your response to my question from earlier in this thread, ie what do you think of Mr.Harps suggestion that relegation might be a good thing if it led to the departure of GA, a manager who he accused of thinking that the only way to win a game is to cheat and time waste?

I'd have to say that he is, of course, entitled to his opinion.

• I've only ever been to Hemel to the pictures.

• Hemel Hempstead.
    What a non entity of a club to make such a major hijack to this thread

• Bet the Hemel Forum is fair buzzin’. Serious jockin’ that.

• Yes, we definitely played Hemel in the PMFL in the early 70s. Perhaps @glasshalffull was thinking of fellow New Town team Harlow Town, with the running track surrounding the pitch, in the shadow of the big Gilbey's gin distillery.

• I remember goingto Harlow sportscentre ground in 1984, we had 007 Roger Moore up front that day. Dont think you would mix that one up with Hemel's.

• @ChasHarps Didn't GreasyBikerFiremanGerrardsX have a super-rant there against the Harlow goalie one year?

• I remember him having one at Croydon Arena, whose ground was very similar to Harlow's. Westy got sent off,Rick Collier in goal on loan from Sutton. He nearly strangled the ref that day. I remember him having a mega rant at Referee Keith Wenham at Gander Green Lane in 1988. He gave Sutton a dodgy penalty, and in injury time John Granville appeared to be fouled, but he let the goal stand and Sutton drew 2-2. He was going absolutely apeshit at Wenham.

• I'm considerably younger than @glasshalffull and I can't remember what matches I went to last month. Different people store memories differently, but hey, have a poke if it makes you feel good.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Who's this Gasroom Power Group? Is it newly formed? Have they split from the Gasroom because of institutional pedantry? Is one of them going to go on lunchtime telly and be accidentally racist?

• Gasroom Power Group? Where do I sign up? (Is it less than an early bird season ticket?)

• You sign up at window 3 between 1 and 2pm on Thursdays except when there's an F in the month, in which case it's window 2, but only if you hold a Blues Card. Of course.

• I instantly questioned who this "power group" were, as RITM is one I'd instantly put forward as being in such a group if it existed, as he's one of the first to get stuck into people.