Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• Almost all goals are avoidable of course but we've given away 6 very avoidable ones in the last 8 days. Today a free header from a set piece and just terrible defending from our two most experienced defenders for the winner. On the bright side maybe that's easier to fix than just being bad at defending.

Attacking was generally ok but Freeman must start.

Playing with Yves reminded me of when we have to put an outfield player in goal for my daughter's team. Was I imagining the defenders trying that bit harder to block shots before they got to the goal?

Hoping the break will do everyone good.

• Think positive. We just have to be better over the next 8 games then 4 from 10 teams, with a small to decent points advantage over all.

We'll do it. Just need one win soon

• If it all goes pear shaped, you can always settle for Championship football and get a seat next to Richie at Kennelworth Road @Wendoverman

• I love Gaz, but playing a PT instructor in goal is fucking mental

• Actually sitting next to Richie wouldn't be the worst part of that ....

• My concern is not how we are playing - we have played like a top ten team all year, and I am so proud of the manager and players!

My concern is the negative momentum, that has almost reached supernatural proportions. I am convinced it would be the unluckiest and least deserved relegation in history, should it happen, but we can't seem to get even the slightest bit of forward momentum, even if we control entire games.

• Nothing wrong with that performance at all. We were clearly the better side, even if they did get about 30 corners (none of which looked in the slightest bit threatening). On another day that’s three points. Dreadful weather and the wrong side of football fortune on the day. But I’m very confident we’ll be safe come the end of the season.

• And anyone calling for Ainsworth out is not a Wycombe fan.

• @Chris said:
    And anyone calling for Ainsworth out is not a Wycombe fan.

He is an absolute class act and great manager. He deserves full support, as do all the players. If it is gutting for us, what must it be like for them?

• My favourite comment in reaction to today's result was the one suggesting we "get the new owners in" now so we can sack Ainsworth. I had a good laugh at that.

• Whilst the end result was gutting, the team’s performance was good for most of the match. On any other day, we would have been one or two goals ahead at half time - I thought that Steve Arnold played a blinder in the first half. We easily deserved to take the lead- up to that point, Shrews had done nothing of any note in terms of attacking. Last ten minutes, they went for it, with literally nothing to lose in the conditions and we panicked. Terrible pen for JJ go give away.
    Only slight concern is that earlier in the season, we knew how to protect a 1-0 lead and grind out a win. Still think we’ll be ok -big games coming up against Poxford and Pompey though.

• @mooneyman if I decide on championship football I would rather drive for 2 hours and sit at the city ground than watch ddh ply his dubious trade. As for the attacks on GA...who would be a manager?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Ive just had half a pint of 'old Parry Ale' and now have the same upbeat thought process as Glasshalffull.
    We stay up, were all happy!! We go down, then a reasonable chance that Ainsworth departs. We then bring in a manager who believes in the beautiful game, and tries to pitch his teams skills against the oppositions, rather that one who thinks the only way to win a football game is to cheat and time waste.

Win Win situation for us Wanderers fans !!

I presume that you’re trying to be ironic/sarcastic in referring to GA as a manager who ‘thinks the only way to win a football game is to cheat and waste time’?
    I hope so.

• @TheOldMan said:
    Whilst the end result was gutting, the team’s performance was good for most of the match. On any other day, we would have been one or two goals ahead at half time - I thought that Steve Arnold played a blinder in the first half. We easily deserved to take the lead- up to that point, Shrews had done nothing of any note in terms of attacking. Last ten minutes, they went for it, with literally nothing to lose in the conditions and we panicked. Terrible pen for JJ go give away.
    Only slight concern is that earlier in the season, we knew how to protect a 1-0 lead and grind out a win. Still think we’ll be ok -big games coming up against Poxford and Pompey though.

Was the pen jj? All reports said el abd?

• Yes, my mistake - it was indeed El Abd who gave the pen away, after JJ got turned inside out.
    One additional point to make from yesterday was in relation to Bolton. Against Sunderland, I thought he played very well (apart from the miss!) before he went off injured, and it was a real ‘at last, he is showing his true potential, this is why he’s at City, etc. Looking at him yesterday, he gave the impression that his heart was not in it. Body language was all wrong and general play was pretty ineffective. I can’t tell whether he’s still adjusting to league two / men’s football (no pretty academy triangles here!), wanting to avoid injury, or in a ‘I can’t wait for this hellish loan to end’ mindset. Either way, there’s no way he should be keeping Freeman out of the side, who is easily our most attacking / creative midfielder at the moment and who is a pleasure to watch!

• Yves looked solid and at least he commands his area , I would stick with him. he is much more imposing for strikers also. we need a win .....and quickly.

Oxford game wont be easy, they absolutely dominated us at Adam's park game very surprised they are still struggling...maybe they just raise their games for us!!

• Agree regarding Bolton, he really struggled yesterday. His decision making was dreadful, pretty much summed up when he decided at the last moment to keep a ball in play that was going out for a Wycombe throw and immediately lost possession. The step up in class when Freeman came on was huge, hopefully he'll get a start at Oxford.

An incredibly tough defeat to take yesterday, I still can't quite understand how we managed to lose. We got so much right with the overall performance and the attitude of the players, against a side who looked completely devoid of ideas, with fans on their backs and yet we contrived to give away all our hard work at the death.

Arnold was excellent in goal for them, the save from Samuel in the 1st half really was special and he looked very solid throughout. The kind of presence we are lacking in goal at the moment. Hard to judge Yves yesterday as he had literally nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice at the end when the previously excellent defence let him down.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Ive just had half a pint of 'old Parry Ale' and now have the same upbeat thought process as Glasshalffull.
    We stay up, were all happy!! We go down, then a reasonable chance that Ainsworth departs. We then bring in a manager who believes in the beautiful game, and tries to pitch his teams skills against the oppositions, rather that one who thinks the only way to win a football game is to cheat and time waste.

Win Win situation for us Wanderers fans !!

I presume that you’re trying to be ironic/sarcastic in referring to GA as a manager who ‘thinks the only way to win a football game is to cheat and waste time’?
    I hope so.

Pretty pointless debaiting the merits of time wasting and cheating with someone who doesn't recongnise we do it, Mr Parry. As someone who interprets a silent hall for a standing ovation.
    I recently came across an interview you gave with the Daily Mail before the Spurs Cup game, you were commenting how the trip to White Hart Lane was a far cry from when you were standing supporting the Wanderers at Hemel Hempstead for a league game.

Yes youve guessed it, it's another one of Parry's mythical tales. Weve never played Hemel Hempstead in a league game !!

• Maybe his memory lapses are the reason he seems to believe fans didn't boo or abuse players until the advent of social media.

• If you devoted half as much effort to backing the manager of the club you’re supposed to support as you do with your obsession about things I’ve said, we might be in a better place right now. If you really believe that the only way GA can win games is by cheating and time wasting then I am disgusted but not in the least bit surprised.

• So what team were you watching at Hemel Hempstead then Mr Parry?

• I may have been mistaken in saying Hemel (although we have played them in the FA cup (admittedly a long time ago) but I certainly watched Wycombe from the terraces in our Isthmian League days. Anyway, that’s a side issue compared to someone who thinks our well respected and successful manager can only win by cheating and time wasting. What did you think of those remarks?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Maybe his memory lapses are the reason he seems to believe fans didn't boo or abuse players until the advent of social media.

When I started watching football I never heard spectators booing their own players. Your experience might be different.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Yves looked solid and at least he commands his area , I would stick with him. he is much more imposing for strikers also. we need a win .....and quickly.

Oxford game wont be easy, they absolutely dominated us at Adam's park game very surprised they are still struggling...maybe they just raise their games for us!!

I know he looked massive and pink yesterday but I didn't see evidence either way about commanding his area. I'll go with the PT instructor comment earlier in the thread.

• @TheOldMan said:
    Yes, my mistake - it was indeed El Abd who gave the pen away, after JJ got turned inside out.
    One additional point to make from yesterday was in relation to Bolton. Against Sunderland, I thought he played very well (apart from the miss!) before he went off injured, and it was a real ‘at last, he is showing his true potential, this is why he’s at City, etc. Looking at him yesterday, he gave the impression that his heart was not in it. Body language was all wrong and general play was pretty ineffective. I can’t tell whether he’s still adjusting to league two / men’s football (no pretty academy triangles here!), wanting to avoid injury, or in a ‘I can’t wait for this hellish loan to end’ mindset. Either way, there’s no way he should be keeping Freeman out of the side, who is easily our most attacking / creative midfielder at the moment and who is a pleasure to watch!

Yes. Either he wasn't 100%, there's something in the loan agreement, or GA was thinking that Luke must come right eventually...

• Yet another thread turns in to a @glasshalffull versus the Gasroom power group bitch off.

Depressingly predictable stuff.

For me yesterday was a massive kick in the stomach. Late goals were ours in the early part of the season but as the squad gets depleted and those left get more knackered the worm has turned.
    One of the reoccurring themes of Ainsworths management has been these long runs of games where we seem unable to get out of a slump. In the past we have turned it around so hopefully we can do it again.

• @glasshalffull said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Maybe his memory lapses are the reason he seems to believe fans didn't boo or abuse players until the advent of social media.

When I started watching football I never heard spectators booing their own players. Your experience might be different.

Perhaps they didn't at Hemel Hempstead!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    One of the reoccurring themes of Ainsworths management has been these long runs of games where we seem unable to get out of a slump. In the past we have turned it around so hopefully we can do it again.

I can’t quite follow the logic of these two sentences together. Are you saying the slumps seem to last longer under Ainsworth than other managers? I’m not convinced they do.

Having watched the highlights, their first goal has a hint of offside unless Bean is playing him on. It’s hard to tell either way from the angle. The penalty looks right though, El Abd goes for the ball and misses.

• POTD @fame_46 I would hope that having a two week break will give many of those players a chance to re-energise, recover from many of the knocks & bruises that they have to play with. If we consider the pace and ferocity that our midfield players use each and every game, it's no wonder that we are becoming jaded towards the end of each game & with that fatigue it is almost inevitable that concentration levels dip around 80 minutes.
    I am hoping that Oxford away will see us with a vitality that can achieve three points and get the confidence to gather another five points, which I believe will see us over that line.