Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• @glasshalffull I just don't understand the mentality. I'm of the 'social media generation' yet manage to refrain from sweating at the match report.

some of the responses...
  • *swearing. It's been a while since I've celebrated enough to sweat at the match report

• Thank goodness some people put things into perspective and don’t go stamping their feet like spoilt children and looking for someone to blame. It was a gutting finish after such a gutsy display and at the moment individual errors are costing us dearly. I still think we’ll be ok......just!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Cms to county looks more ridiculous by the minute.

CMS was barely playing for us during our good spell. He is also not exactly pulling up trees at a lower level with Notts County.

Why do you think he would be our saviour had he still been with us?

• DOHH! Winning with 3mins to go! This is a huge blow.

• Yep Gareth has lost thecdressingbroom and should have paid more wages than pompey and millwall...i mean it's so simple. Still five points off third bottom in a higher league...im disappointed but not panicking yet. ST at arsenal @bigred87? You.must nearly be as rich as that other bloke who used to post on here but disappeared when we started winning.

• This is beginning to get ridiculous, can someone tell the players they play to the final whistle not till the 80 minutes they seem to be playing.

• @yorkyblue , don't forget with Wycombe it's always at least a 100min game!

• A lot more FB-style nonsense here than normal. Chin up, chaps.

• It's happened. The first call for Ainsworth out -_-

• Come on it was always going to be like this. It’s the whole point of being a football supporter to punch the air joyfully in the sofa/on the train/in the pub/wherever when your phone update shows a club you don’t usually care or think about snatch a late winner against another club you don’t usually care or think about but happen to be one point below us in the table.

Enjoy the ride. We’ll be fine (just)

• Football has its cruel moments and that was two of them.

Even when I take off all my glasses, the ones that help me see and the blue tinted ones we deserved something from that game

Anthony Stewart scores 9 times out of 10 with that clever downward nod at the far post.

There was good team spirit and we had the ball on the deck moved skiillfully, especially down the right second half.

Our support was excellent all through the 2nd half, especially once they had equalised. Never write an Ainsworth Wycombe team off.

No reason not to get behind the team.

• I'm still confident we will stay up. Our season has been one of good streaks then bad streaks. Time for a final flourish to get us over the line! I must say though, recent poor form has made me think.... I want our club to do well, I want us to hold our own in league one or dare I say the championship one day. I was very anti outside investment at first, but I must say... I'm changing my mind. I know it's a huge calculated risk, but I'm now thinking outside investment is maybe what we need. I would hate to See us make a downwards spiral into non league.i would still support Wycombe no matter what, but I'm starting to feel it's take the risk and pray it works out.... or that may well be our fate. Of course we could end up in the same situation with investment, but at least we tried? Explored all options to be a league club??? ... just thinking out loud.....

• That safety net over 4th bottom has been trimmed by 1 point a game recently.

Still a big gang below us, but we need just one win to get right out of it.
    Needs to be against Oxford, as Portsmouth/Charlton will be a very tough home combo

• One of the most galling defeats I've seen in a long time. Terrible conditions, terrible game, but throughout we looked to have a control over the match, an edge in overall play, an edge in chances and an edge in quality. Shrewsbury were unable to get near our goal, leaving Yves a virtual spectator. They did improve slightly after our goal, but aside from one smart turn and shot over the bar from Holloway they had zero threat and yet somehow, a couple of late lapses in concentration and we've lost.

Similar to Gillingham, probably should have won, certainly at least got a draw, but ended with nothing. We are Losing games due to late lapses in concentration pure and simple. If I can pick a positive from today (and right now it's difficult) it's that we have the ability to stay up, but we need to regain that winning mentality.

• For what it's worth, no side with 51 points or more has gone down from this division since 04/05

• Ive just had half a pint of 'old Parry Ale' and now have the same upbeat thought process as Glasshalffull.
    We stay up, were all happy!! We go down, then a reasonable chance that Ainsworth departs. We then bring in a manager who believes in the beautiful game, and tries to pitch his teams skills against the oppositions, rather that one who thinks the only way to win a football game is to cheat and time waste.

Win Win situation for us Wanderers fans !!

• I think the problem is that we got on a good run... we were high mid table.... some of us even mentioned the possibility of playoffs!!! Automatics even at one point!!! A bit of good form and delusions of grandeur kicked in. We are Wycombe. Never EVER finished above mid table league one. It in fairness, was always likely to be a dog fight at the end. Don't give up lads. GA has done the best he can with what he has available to him. Let's sing for the lads no matter what happens. I'm praying we stay up I really am. If we do or if we don't, who knows what next season will bring. Chin up boys! Prepare to fight!!!

• Ppl who are calling for GA to quit or get sacked are ignorant. Most of our players are only here because they want to play under him. He had bought in players we would have wet dreams about any other time. We have utilised the small resources we have exceptionally imo. Outside of massive names I can't think of anyone I'd rather manage our little club.

• edited March 2019

@Alexo said:
    I think the problem is that we got on a good run... we were high mid table.... some of us even mentioned the possibility of playoffs!!! Automatics even at one point!!! A bit of good form and delusions of grandeur kicked in. We are Wycombe. ******Never EVER finished above mid table league one******. It in fairness, was always likely to be a dog fight at the end. Don't give up lads. GA has done the best he can with what he has available to him. Let's sing for the lads no matter what happens. I'm praying we stay up I really am. If we do or if we don't, who knows what next season will bring. Chin up boys! Prepare to fight!!!

Except for that season we did?

• 94/95 We finished 6th.... been 11th a couple of times as well I think

• Ok, I consider myself corrected. One season we did. My point still stands...

• I think only an absolute pedant wouldn't consider 11th midtable.

But 94/95 for certain. Am guessing Alexo is a Johnny come lately though.

• I'm trying to be positive here, why are you picking at details?

• I've been a supporter of the blues for around 20 years. Many of which I've been a season ticket holder. But yes 94/95 season was a little before I was hooked as a blue so please forgive me on that one!!! First season ticket was for the 99/00 season!

• @Alexo said:
    I think the problem is that we got on a good run... we were high mid table.... some of us even mentioned the possibility of playoffs!!! Automatics even at one point!!! A bit of good form and delusions of grandeur kicked in. We are Wycombe. Never EVER finished above mid table league one. It in fairness, was always likely to be a dog fight at the end. Don't give up lads. GA has done the best he can with what he has available to him. Let's sing for the lads no matter what happens. I'm praying we stay up I really am. If we do or if we don't, who knows what next season will bring. Chin up boys! Prepare to fight!!!

Spot on

• I'm not trying to be picky or funny @Alexo, honestly, I guessed you might be younger than some of us and I just wanted you to know

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm not trying to be picky or funny @Alexo, honestly, I guessed you might be younger than some of us and I just wanted you to know

Fair enough dude

• Nice one... keep the faith !

• We're not in the relegation zone and in a reasonable position to survive all that with a low budget (that we are probably being lied to about) and a board not fit to lace @marlowchair 's boots or clean @nicecarrots ' kitchen floor. I still think we'll survive so I've not bought a premier league team season ticket yet.