Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• @Last_Quarter said:

@Wendoverman said:
    For me, Gareth's problem is he raises expectations and then we are disappointed when we just get what we should have expected at the start of the season.

Absolutely spot on.

I presume you mean that he raised expectations by getting great results against some of the top teams because he certainly didn’t say anything to raise expectations, constantly reminding people that our sole aim was survival. He even pointed out several weeks ago that we are one of many teams involved in a relegation battle.

• @perfidious_albion that is certainly believable, I always thought there must be some sort of financial hiccup as GA and Fred would probably both have wanted Fred to stay. Though I reckon Harriman would been effective and had plenty of game time up there. Of course, facebook football transfers are all a case of someone failing miserably and getting us relegated in January.

• I can understand the surprise at CMS going, but not Saunders.
    CMS was pretty unlucky to get rested after a few quality performances, and just never got back in as Samuel dazzled.

Saunders barely got a sniff, and when he did didn't offer tonneloads, so I just don't see him being a game changer at all. Why hasn't Saunders been snapped up since he left would be my key question.

Had heard the Harriman turning the Notts County move down, but not that it was the deal breaker against Fred. I thought that was more due to Millwall not making the signing they needed to.

It's hard to see Harriman staying on next season though, Tuesday summed up how it's turned for him. Comes in for the occasional start, in a poor overall performance and out of position.

• @glasshalffull yup...I know he is realistic and always plays it down, but by the same token is motivated, excited and obviously believes the team can achieve more. We raise our expectations when we see the team deliver and project it onto GA...and then get it in our heads that we were promised more when it goes a bit Pete Tong. If he says we are in a relegation battle some fans get on his back for being defeatist...but then if he's positive and says we'll be okay the same fans would accuse him of being unrealistic. We would all like to be a 20 goal a season one club midfield dynamo who can do no wrong, not many would want to be a goalkeeper, manager or owner! It's a no-win.

• As for Gaz, he's remarkably composed whatever the situation.
    Sometimes you're amazed he can be so dignified, when say Stevenage played their cheating, orchestrated breaks style of football. Or he's won against a hated rival like the Plymouth guy. Or the ref has made a howler.

I can't remember him laying into anyone in his interviews.

• CMS going was a mistake in my view but then so was not playing him that much before Christmas.

This idea that keeping Fred was expected and planned for is no more than an urban myth though is it?

• @Last_Quarter said:

@Wendoverman said:
    For me, Gareth's problem is he raises expectations and then we are disappointed when we just get what we should have expected at the start of the season.

Absolutely spot on.

I've read some nonsense on here over the years but this is right up there.

• What on earth is going in with Harriman? He's a great player but can't seem to get a kick unless its filling in at left back. Is there not an option for us signing Onyedinma and keeping Harriman? Surely there's a few players ahead of him in the 'get him off the wage bill' list?

• edited March 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle agree CMS should have had more game time. Seasoned pro who always looked the business.
    @eric_plant which nonsense? If it was me I'm delighted I've managed to out nonsense some of my fellow posters :smiley:

• I really like GA's post match assessments, always realistic, never gets carried away or too downhearted and doesn't look to lay the blame elsewhere for defeats.

Could you imagine Derek Adams if those penalties on Tuesday were given against Plymouth? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been as gracious as GA was. For me, looking at the highlights, it's hard to see what happened with the 1st penalty, the 2nd, no matter how silly Thompson was to touch the Accy player's shoulder, it's hard not to judge it as a very, very harsh decision. Given the other other way, I'd consider us to be very lucky to get such a soft pen and slightly embarrassed about the way our player had flung himself to the floor so easily!

• @ericplant @glasshalffull

Think we're a bit lost in translation here. I'm agreeing with Wendover's point that our excellent performances this season have raised expectations, and the reality of results at the moment is actually what we were expecting at the start of the season. GA did nothing himself to raise expectations, and doesn't deserve some of the recent criticism I've seen.

I can't for the life of me imagine why that would be up there with some of the biggest nonsense on this forum!

• Yeah, the Thompson penalty makes it looks like a super power. He gently lays a kind hand on the player, who is somehow zapped forward by a bolt of some kind of mysterious energy.

It will make a great origin story when the movie comes out.

• edited March 2019

@Jonny_King , the sad truth for Harriman is that McCarthy is better than him at right back. Whilst McCarthy isn't as good at centre back as he is at right back.
    And Harriman in this division isn't a better bet than a few players as a right sided attacker.
    Harriman can fill in at left back, but it always seems to be in games where we have stinkers.

Unfortunate as he's a nice chap with a nice wife - I got a nice warm smile from them both walking through the carpark at Doncaster - merely for being a Wycombe fan - type of nice.
    But with promotions you often get this sort of scenario.

• @Malone agree...but with energy and a shot on him I always thought he could play in midfield or even one of the wide forwards.

• I agree McCarthy is the better RB, but I'm surprised he hasn't had more of a look in at right midfield, where he was one of the few bright points in the fairly woeful 2015/16 season.

• edited March 2019

I'm surprised that only basket case Notts County appeared to show any interest in taking Harriman on loan.

• @mooneyman was it a loan or a permanent deal. I would imagine Mrs Harriman would not have minded a loan move for the rest of the season.

• Southend supposedly bid for him a season or two back.

• His spell of scoring goals was of course in a lower division, and with less options.

Paris I feel has been quite hard done by at times to be left out, and you have him and the Man City lad for two now, and earlier in the season a lot of other options there too.

• I assume McCarthy is taking set pieces to give JJ a rest?

• edited March 2019

@Wendoverman , Tuesday was probably more down to JJ not actually being on the pitch.

• Really @Malone ? I was too busy eating my delicious cold pie and crisp dinner to see who was actually playing. :neutral: But I did notice he was taking corners on Saturday when JJ WAS on the pitch.

• @perfidious_albion The reason we didn't get Fred is because Neil Harris couldn't get in the striker he wanted at Millwall. Although Harriman has been pretty much annexed from the side because he won't sign a new contract, I don't think that had anything to do with missing Fred.

And we can't blame Gaz too much for the transfer window, as his record has been almost faultless for the last 5 years and we've got almost no cash. Hopefully we picked up enough points in that one brilliant run during autumn to cover one window when little went to plan.

• :) Someone had to apply copious servings of cheek

I must admit, I only noticed Bloomfield on the pitch about 25mins in.
    Probably more about me not paying attention and being frozen rather than any slight on him.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    @perfidious_albion The reason we didn't get Fred is because Neil Harris couldn't get in the striker he wanted at Millwall. Although Harriman has been pretty much annexed from the side because he won't sign a new contract, I don't think that had anything to do with missing Fred.

I won't believe that claptrap until Richie the club mole confirms the situation!

• @mooneyman it's heady days for the Luton faithful he's probably too busy

• @superchairs said:
    Plymouth here hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahha

This has aged well.

• @superchairs said:
    Actually Johnny baby almost forgot about you then read about Sunderland fans calling you a disgrace of a club with your cheating, then I saw the 11 minutes first half injury time and I thought aaah arsehole allsop and the cheat boys are up to their old games, and then you lost and it’s you not us in the relegation battle, along with brexit being postponed it’s been a bleddy good day??

@superchairs...?

• PrayForSuperchairs

• Gawd if Watford are in europe and with luton and franchise promoted we'll be lucky to get on 3cr next term!!