Skip to content

Allsop

Comments

• You're familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf I'm sure

You say "clearly injured". It seemed to clear up pretty quickly. He played on, seemingly unaffected, for well over an hour

• @glasshalffull said:
    I know that Ryan is a master of the art of slowing the game down but he was clearly injured early on yesterday. It’s crazy to suggest that he was time wasting after only two minutes especially as we’d made such a bright start.

Why is it crazy to suggest that when he does it most weeks, I think that the idea is to shorten the total amount of time we have to play football against supposedly better sides rather than grab the odd minute to recover but Sunderland were mostly awful and not for the first time this season we may have benefited from getting at them more.

• @eric_plant said:
    You're familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf I'm sure

You say "clearly injured". It seemed to clear up pretty quickly. He played on, seemingly unaffected, for well over an hour

I recall Luke O9 requiring lengthy treatment early on and he also completed the whole game so I don’t see your point. I know that we’re often guilty of time wasting but do you really believe that we’d indulge in that with only two minutes on the clock?

• Ha! I'm not sure Luke O'Nien is the best example. I remarked at the time that it was nice to see him getting reacquainted with the Adams Park turf he'd spent so much time on

And in answer to the question, yes I absolutely believe we would indulge in time wasting with so little time on the clock

• Absolutely spot on @StrongestTeam. If you're one up and being absolutely battered I can then begin to understand why any team looks to slow things down. However yesterday, for most of the game, we were under virtually no pressure and all we did is give Sunderland a tonne of injury time to find an equaliser.

It's a grim tactic and personally I wish we'd cut it out. Any Wycombe fan who says we're no worse than other teams is blinkered to the extreme.

• Some of the slow play is to help the players recover. The high press game we played yesterday did mean our defence looked comfortable but our midfield worked so hard.

Watching Luke milk the Samuel challenge and the Jacobsen shove was vintage stuff. The other Sunderland players were not even close to matching him.

• I find Allsop's time wasting antics annoying and pointless, but I think the early injury was genuine. He was holding his shoulder and looked in pain for some time even after play had continued. Certainly the fact that Yves was stripped and ready to come on would indicate that it wasn't part of any slowing the game down plan.

But yeah, in general he does seem to spend an unfathomable amount of time in 'agony' only to quickly recover!

• Allsop was writhing around, Neymar like, which is not how a genuinely injured player reacts. It was no surprise he was right as rain after a few minutes treatment. It was also no surprise his ‘injury’ coincided with his cocking up how to deal with a cross, again.

• I'm not sure how anyone can be so sure the early injury wasn't genuine. He didn't touch the ball for 20 minutes afterwards so being 'right as rain after a few minutes' is impossible to tell.
    Some supporters seem to pick a player to hate and skew everything in that favour.
    His late injury was definitely a ploy to slow the game but as with the Plymouth game if you kick the keeper you give him the chance to milk the time keeping.

Allsop made one mistake yesterday and it cost us the win. He had made a great save help us stay ahead just before.

• I had a good view of the early incident. He got elbowed in the throat. He wasn’t time wasting. It looked very painful.

• Scott Brown was a great kicker and shot stopper but woeful in dealing with balls in the air. Hence why I imagine he was allowed to leave.
    Unfortunately Alsop's only strength seems to be timewasting. Worst permanent keeper we've had for a long time.

• I thought early injury was real but I know we push it to the max in some games when we really should just be putting teams to the sword.

• So is time wasting now part of "game management ". I know other teams do it but that doesn't make it right.

• Cost us plenty of times this season and time wastes a ridiculous amount of times. Should look to offload ASAP

• Who should be offloaded asap? The goalie? Or the management team who recruited him and shape tactics? Or all of them? Like brownie allsopp has made some good stops and has made some mistakes.

• Great save with his feet in the second half, especially to hang on to the ball with the Sunderland player arriving on top of him.

I assume since Bayo didn't play and Bloomfiled had

• Come on @floyd . We’re all agog.

• Well thats odd, i must have imagined typing it all out. Something about Allsop being this weeks scapegoat i think!

• The drone army have already nicknamed him "Alldrop"

• Are they the ones who also sing the funny time wasting bastards song?

• I assumed the “Rocky” nickname was adopted as in “solid as a rock”. Tough guy.
    Now I’m not so sure. It’s not a case of “scapegoating” as far as I’m concerned - just frustration at times, not least when an error results in the loss of three invaluable points against a side which, on the day, looked pretty ordinary against our virus stricken side.

• @micra said:
    I assumed the “Rocky” nickname was adopted as in “solid as a rock”. Tough guy.
    Now I’m not so sure. It’s not a case of “scapegoating” as far as I’m concerned - just frustration at times, not least when an error results in the loss of three invaluable points against a side which, on the day, looked pretty ordinary against our virus stricken side.

Ryan has explained 'Rocky' before, he was a very premature baby not expected to survive, then when he did and was let out of the incubator, promptly got a life threatening illness. The nurse that had looked after him since birth gave him 'Rocky' as nothing could knock him out, or words to that effect.

• We have been blessed with some excellent 'keepers in recent years - but Allsop isn't at that level. He is solid enough, and the save with his feet on Saturday was excellent, but I think we need better.

It looked like he had changed his kicking technique on Saturday. Hopefully this can lead to some more accurate distribution...

• The 3 year deal made me think we'd pulled off a real big deal.
    So far it's not looking worthy of such a show of faith.

• He's a perfectly decent League One keeper. We've had better, we've had worse.

• Who would be a goalie, eh? Since I've been back I've heard Ingram, Blackman, brownie and now allsopp described as not good enough...or excellent. As Leeds says above...he is good enough considering where we are in the league...as brownie was good enough to help us get promoted.

• Is it a coincidence that comfortably our best run of form came when he was out of the side?

• @niebieski: I’d not heard that before. I love the idea of him being let out of the incubator.
    No doubt he’ll survive and become a local hero. Sincerely hope so.

• @YorkExile

Points gained during six match spell in Nov/Dec without Ryan Allsop = 11 (W3 D2 L1)
    Points gained during six match spell in Jan/Feb with Ryan Allsop = 11 (W3 D2 L1)

The period during which Allsop was out of the side is demonstrably not "comfortably our best run of form".