Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• @Malone said:
    Sunderland have every chance of staying down this year, and they might find like Portsmouth did in league 2, that it's quite hard to get back up.

Really hope they stay down, as I'd like a trip to their ground, and couldn't commit this year, with the uncertainty about the date!

My son and I share your view. Without bearing them any ill-will, we'd be glad if they were still around next season.

• I suppose you have to say it was a great performance today based on Sunderlands squad, two defeats and never failing to score this season. It just didn't feel like that at points though. I thought Sunderland were an average side we should have put away.

Samuel was outstanding today and our midfield did a job on their bigger names. Thought JJ deserves a mention too against a tricky winger. Wonder why he wasn't on all corners though.

Finally it was great to see Luke back. I know he is trying to make his way at a big club but it was a shame not to see him smile as much as he did for us. Sunderland looked a pretty joyless team from the warm up right through to the brawl at the end. I hope Luke gets his smile back

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I suppose you have to say it was a great performance today based on Sunderlands squad, two defeats and never failing to score this season. It just didn't feel like that at points though. I thought Sunderland were an average side we should have put away.

Samuel was outstanding today and our midfield did a job on their bigger names. Thought JJ deserves a mention too against a tricky winger. Wonder why he wasn't on all corners though.

Finally it was great to see Luke back. I know he is trying to make his way at a big club but it was a shame not to see him smile as much as he did for us. Sunderland looked a pretty joyless team from the warm up right through to the brawl at the end. I hope Luke gets his smile back

Luke was presented to the faithful in the Vere after the game. He was smiling most if not all of the time.

• Really enjoyable game which we deserved to win. And again, good to see all our lot get stuck in when it went off. Shows real togetherness.

Very much looking forward to playing them again next season.

• I thought we sold over 9k tickets for the game ?.attendance was 8,400 !

• @Wanderers82 said:
    I thought we sold over 9k tickets for the game ?.attendance was 8,400 !

Yes capacity is 9500 and the club saying there was 700 tickets left a bit fishy if you asked me

• Good to hear about Luke after the game. He wasn't the player I know on the pitch today.

• Beans red was hilarious btw, just as you calm everything down and get on with the game he slides in late and clatters one of them.

Their more reasonable fans seemed to at least notice that they were crap. Its probably funnier when we get the "big team mentality" from fans of tiny clubs like Brizzle but getting it from Sunderland can only make us proud that we can compete with their £.

Play offs are a lottery as we know, so there's got to be a good chance they don't go up this season.

• Thoroughly enjoyable match and a result we all would have taken at the start of the match! Great team performance - we outfought them for most of the game and just tired at the end. Blooms, Beano and Gape were immense in midfield and Samuel battled as the lone striker for the whole game and took his goal well. Shame Bolton went off - today was the first time that he showed his true potential. A goal would have given his confidence a much needed boost.
    Thought Sunderland played poorly given their budget/ resources. They could easily be playing us in League one next season. Thought their fans were rubbish today- hardly sung at all whilst 1-0 down. Clearly expecting to just turn up and win the match simply because they are a ‘big club.’

• Yes lots to like about that performance.

Good signs for the future too with Sido and Stewart looking a good partnership and Samuel showing his annoyance value up front.

Liked the return to one holding midfielder and two roaming, pressing midfielders. Blooms and Beany rolled back the years and set the tone, So much so that Grant Leadbitter and Lee Cattermole couldn’t live with them.

We should have won but we didn’t, no great sense of disappointment this evening though.

• Anyone happen to know when we last had 2 players sent off in a single game? There's this one from '02 - when a 17-year-old Beany saw red for QPR - but if imagine its happened more recently?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/2199535.stm

• There’s this infamous one also against QPR from the previous year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1730604.stm

• 8,400?!
    The last quoted one was 8,300 and it seemed like we were smashing through the last 800 with people seeking tickets on various groups.

To hear we only sold 100 after that update seems strange.

• @Malone, just before the 5pm cut-off on Friday, the club tweeted that they had around 400 tickets remaining. The club always give the attendance as tickets sold or distributed, including all season tickets, and not those actually attending. That implies that the capacity is less than 9000. I'll ask Michael Davies at the next Fans Council meeting what the actual figure is these days.

• Reference the surprising attendence figure - perhaps those that were transferred from the Beechdean weren't added in as either season ticket holders or distributed tickets. 500 or 600 more would be closer to what the attendance appeared to be yesterday.

Anyway great game, an excellent crowd and a result which was good and yet also disappointing for a couple of minutes afterwards.

• I'd argue that the most shameful thing about the 'brawl' is the way that the Sunderland bench sought to hide Honeyman behind a mass of technical staff in the hope that the ref might not find him. Blatant time-wasting...

• For all the talk of timewasting there was a comical moment late on when one of their players grabbed the ball off of one of ours to take a throw quickly only for the ref to whistle, stop him, march over slowly from 30 yards away and talk to him for a while, ref far from athletic and pretty useless all round.

• I've watched it a few times. They definitely started it but our lot got stuck in straight away and Sunderland were most definitely on the back foot.

Proud of all of them

• @eric_plant said:
    I've watched it a few times. They definitely started it but our lot got stuck in straight away and Sunderland were most definitely on the back foot.

Proud of all of them

I'm not surprised that Sunderland were on the back foot. The sight of Bayo and Yves steaming towards you would make most sit down in that situation.

• The Football League Paper has Marcus Bean in the League One Team of the Day, but bizarrely scores him a 4 in the match report. Samuel is the only player on either team to score an 8. Walsall's Dan Scarr is also in the Team of the Day. Pierre is in the League Two team.

The paper also has a two page special on Bloomers.

• edited March 2019

It's amusing to see the big-time Charlies from mega club Sunderland get all riled up by having to play against a 3rd division tin-pot pub team who had the temerity to not stand back and admire their fine range of passing skill and pin-point accurate finishing.

It must have been another Aiden McGeady whose blatant mid-air shove on McCarthy went completely unpunished from the inept referee, followed by the man stood in front of Allsop from the resulting corner throwing a sly elbow into his ribs. Which all nicely set the tone for an afternoon of free-flowing clean football from the debonair footballing aristocrats from Wearside against the uncultured lumpen factory workers in blue.

And that a substituted player sliced a ball that had gone out of play, the ultimate indignity that highly cultured footballing connoisseurs could ever endure.

If they think they're too big for this division, they might just find they'll have to shrink to fit in for next season.

• edited March 2019

Interested to see how many are picking up on this theme of Sunderland fans as big time Charlie's. Those I spoke to were nothing but down to earth and honest about their sides plight and the merits of yesterday's game.
    Thought it was funny to see them all stood up throughout the game but strange at how quiet they were in the game. But boy did they celebrate the equiliser. Maybe it was just due to how expected it was.
    The big time Sunderland players Grigg, McGeady, Leadbetter and Cattermole let their supporters down though. They strutted and moaned all day without having any influence over the game. If only we could keep they money those four were paid this week.

• Can I just say that watching luke boltons cameo from the family stand I can see why he is an exciting prospect couple of times he muscled his way past defenders. Shame about the miss and him pulling up. Having said that pch was excellent when he came on.

• Whatever their imagined class and skill sunderland did not have a shot on goal until the half hour mark!

• Anyone who shoves Dobbo deserves to be thrown around a bit. I know we shouldn't condone it, but I'll admit to feeling a tad satisfied seeing Bayo and YMK bouncing their players about like basketballs.

• edited March 2019

To be fair @Right_in_the_Middle , McGeady, Leadbitter and Cattermole probably get paid extra for refereeing the game. They made Paul Hayes' previous efforts look amateurish.

I agree re: the fans, no issues with any of them.

• I took 3 Sunderland fans to the games yesterday, including probably my oldest and best friend. You couldn't meet nicer people and they've been through the wringer football wise lately. Every club has a percentage of moron fans and the bigger the club, the more morons they'll have. Sunderland were no worse than I remember from the likes of Stoke or Leeds when they fell to our level. Biggest arseholes have always been Brizzle Rovers.

• Unfortunately the vast majority of outpourings from Sunderland fans was rather less measured than the more reasonable views from people Gasroomers happen to know. If the big club syndrome suffers are in a minority, they're a pretty large and noisy one. The complete lack of self awareness is pretty amusing (once you reel your jaw back in up off the floor).

• Not sure anyone's collated the data on your initial claim, @ReadingMarginalista. If we're going to test the reasonableness of a fanbase by measuring its output on social media, I don't know that the results would that accurate anyway.

• I was telling a Southampton-supporting friend (who has come along to a few of our games over the years) about yesterday. He was genuinely surprised at their fans' anger and told me that in the Premiership, Sunderland had quite a reputation for being one of the more niggly, cynical teams in the division.

Apparently a small club doing everything it can to win the game and survive at a higher level is only ok when it's them.