Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Doesn’t look like Tyson did a great deal from what can be seen from that angle.

• Interesting. Don't see a lot that Tyson did to get sent off, though he could have been more restrained.

What an otherwise enjoyable game, though. We were great in the first half and not far below that in the second. Luke's miss ultimately cost us two points but I'll take the point, and that performance, after a shaky few weeks. Was very proud of the team as they battled in the second half. And Blooms had his best, most inspiring, game for ages. Great way to mark his 500th game for the club - led the way with tremendous workrate and much higher than usual efficacy.

• Sadly rocky not holding on to the shot and knackered defenders not being able to react quick enough cost us. And a bit of time wasting but otherwise an entertaining game. Now we need to turn stanley over!

• We played football on the deck, challenged every ball and didn't let them intimidate us. Was an excellent game of football and those last ten or so mins will live very long in the memory in particular. Bolton was looking like he would be the key to victory before his injury but PCH had one of his fired-up point-to-prove performances and showed real class on the ball to pass for Samuel's goal.

Samuel had his best match for us that I've seen, tenacious, strong and clever, and now seems fully Wycombised. Bloomfield and Gape in the centre were fantastic and Bean once again showed what he can bring, even if that's likely to be a cameo appearance in a final season for him. A good way to bow out though! Anthony Stewart looked so composed on the ball, I wonder if we'd be higher in the table now if we'd had him in the team all season rather than making him play understudy once again. And McCarthy also had his best performance for us that I've seen this season, fully committed to the cause. Clearly captain material in the making.

I thought Tyson was weak and once again failed to live up to what we've seen of him in the past. Hopefully Freeman will be back for the three matches he'll serve unavailable for selection and cement his place as first choice left attacker.

The melee was great fun. Though it was a shame it probably prevented Luke O'Nein from doing a lap of honour at the end. He had a surprisingly quiet match, I thought. Wonder if he'll ever get to play in Sunderland's midfield or if he's now a right back for good.

• Highlights are up. Perhaps the most unrepresentative and unvaluable(?) I can remember seeing!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11660271/wycombe-1-1-sunderland

• PS. Not sure about the second yellow but Beano's first was barely even a free kick.

• That was awesome. Blooms was absolutely superb. If only that half volley had gone in to put us 2-0 up!

• Luke looked a shadow of the player we had didn't he? I appreciate it's only one game, and Sunderland clearly didn't play well as a unit, but can't help but feel that they'd be much better off sticking him in midfield.

Not really much to add on the game that hasn't already been said - we were excellent and should've won. The last 10 mins were an embarrassment to both our clubs and a fine will inevitably follow. Also, I love Blooms - he was wonderful today, but that dive in the first half was awful. I can take and appreciate the physical nature of our play in a game like this where we're clear underdogs, but cheating is cheating and we should call it out when we cross the line.

Half of block L of the Frank Adams stand were Sunderland fans. I've got no problem with that -
    they all behaved themselves, but it's pretty incredible that one lady had turned up in a Sunderland hat and scarf and still managed to get in!

• I felt had an interesting insight into “big club” mentality today. I traveled down on the train chatting to a couple of London-based Sunderland fans and briefly bumped into them again on the way back. Pleasant lads.

On the way down they mentioned that they have a player - can’t remember his name - who’s on £40k a week and doesn’t even make the bench. I said that’s probably more than the cost of our entire team.

On the way back they were friendly enough but complained quite a bit about our time-wasting and general niggle.

It seems to me that big club supporters lack the imagination to allow for the disparity in our respective resources. They seem to think we should stand off them and admire the quality of their beautiful football.

They can sod off

• Not sure how Sunderland are up there on that display. We made them look mediocre at best. Great all round performance, especially the middle three. It'd be great to beat Stanley and the Shrews and hit 53 points and safety with a win at the Stade de Three Sides.

• Reading their message board briefly, there seems to be a bigger sense of entitlement than when we surprised them up at their place, with someone even saying they hope we go down. Not as impressed with their attitude this time around. Just wish we could have held on!

• Pretty sweeping statement about big club supporters.

• That was their 15th draw (joint most in the EFL) from 35 games this season, 12 of which have been 1-1

• Beano first yellow card was for taking the ball away and stopping them taking the free kick surely not the challenge, which might or might not have been a foul.

• edited March 2019

@peterparrotface said:
    Pretty sweeping statement about big club supporters.

I'm not saying it's every one of them, but I have been on their boards a few times this season, and the prevailing mood seems to have gone from respecting the "plucky lower league clubs" and enjoying their novel experience, to calling L1 a bunch of tin pot teams that are beneath them.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/league-1.1465137/

• @Twizz said:
    Beano first yellow card was for taking the ball away and stopping them taking the free kick surely not the challenge, which might or might not have been a foul.

Nope. That was quite some time before the yellow, which was after a clumsy challenge near the touchline.

• Never liked Sunderland. They must be the smallest time "big club" in the country.

An interesting game though.

Bolton started well, and somehow missed what looked an absolute sitter from a few yards out. Then injured again - he really hasn't had any luck down here so far.

A really good goal after that, Paris and Samuel combining well. Samuel modest enough to call it a "Tap in" on the radio afterm when it was a lot better than that.

Sunderland were fairly easily contained. Cattermole got his usual booking, McGeady showed a few good turns, but O Nien looks utterly wasted at right back, and a shame Tyson didn't give him more of a going over.

The ruckus looks ridiculous. Dobbo merely taps the ball towards their bench anyway, and the most angry little idiot Honeyman chooses to come and create a situation from nothing, getting himself and Tyson a 3 match ban.

We have to appeal that, there's nothing in that clip that suggests Tyson was guilty of violent conduct. Will have to read the ref's wording I dare say.

Tyson running down the tunnel after was both thrilling and worrying. Hope he didn't get involved in anything silly after.

Oh yeah, Bean - a less costly game ban, as he's never starting midweek anyway.
    Someone earlier doubted his second was a booking? You're joking, he utterly smashed the guy, hence him coming off injured, leaving them with 9 for 2mins!

• @Malone said:

Tyson running down the tunnel after was both thrilling and worrying. Hope he didn't get involved in anything silly after.

I rather took it he was just getting off asap to minimise crowd abuse. But at least one Sunderland player on the pitch wanted to follow him to make sure! Well done to his compatriot who persuaded him not to.

Someone earlier doubted his second was a booking? You're joking, he utterly smashed the guy, hence him coming off injured, leaving them with 9 for 2mins!

Haven't seen anyone doubting the second booking. I'm pretty happy to stand by my questioning of the first one, though.

• @peterparrotface I don't know whether I've done something to offend you, but this seems an incredibly snarky response to my post. It's not a post about all big club supporters but about "big club" mentality. Thanks to @Shev for posting the link to the message board which perfectly illustrates the point. Some of their comments are perfectly reasonable, some of them display a staggering sense of entitlement. The latter are displaying "big club" mentality.

• @HCblue , reading back up, it was you, you said "Not sure about the 2nd booking".

Maybe it was just your turn of phrase to link it to the first one, but like you now agree, no one would doubt the 2nd booking!

• Great game of football - entertainment from start to finish. Until it went all mad at the end, that was a very impressive midfield display from Bean, Gape & Bloomfield. Paris also v sharp on arrival.

General twitter consensus from the Sunderland supporters is that we’re all ‘Tory c**ts’. They don’t like it when you point out they’re facilitating a Tory Brexit.

• They aren't far wrong about a lot in this area, the working class ba@stads ;)

• @OakwoodExile sorry if it seemed snarky, just read as a very sweeping statement

• @peterparrotface Apology certainly accepted. It was not intended as a sweeping statement. My fault to at least some extent that it could be interpreted as such.

• @Malone said:
    @HCblue , reading back up, it was you, you said "Not sure about the 2nd booking".

Maybe it was just your turn of phrase to link it to the first one, but like you now agree, no one would doubt the 2nd booking!

It was indeed simply an introduction to my main point rather than a questioning of the second decision, reflecting no more than uncertainty about that one. Watching the highlights - and I'd really love to have seen more than fifteen seconds of the game there, Sky! - I could go a cheap but legit yellow on the second one.

• First beano.booking was a soft one for farting about with the ball no tackle involved . Second one was a terrible taking out of the man at a crucial time in the game. Needs must.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @peterparrotface I don't know whether I've done something to offend you, but this seems an incredibly snarky response to my post. It's not a post about all big club supporters but about "big club" mentality. Thanks to @Shev for posting the link to the message board which perfectly illustrates the point. Some of their comments are perfectly reasonable, some of them display a staggering sense of entitlement. The latter are displaying "big club" mentality.

They also mostly rejoice in Coventry's predicament, with most seeming to hope they are liquidated, owing to an incident from 1977.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coventry-potentially-being-kicked-out-of-the-league.1464431/

I also saw at least one fan hope Wycombe get relegated. So, just to get this straight, Sunderland suffer two straight gut wrenching relegations, receive significant sympathy and goodwill as a result of a very well made documentary, and follow it up by hoping Wycombe are relegated and Coventry are liquidated?

Stay classy, Sunderland.

• Sunderland have every chance of staying down this year, and they might find like Portsmouth did in league 2, that it's quite hard to get back up.

Really hope they stay down, as I'd like a trip to their ground, and couldn't commit this year, with the uncertainty about the date!

• One of their older baldy male fans in the family stand shouted what a shower of shit at his team. Nice. Left before the equaliser.