Skip to content

One to Anticipate - Sunderland (H) - Attendance predictions + discussion - Match 36 on Sat 9th March

2»

Comments

• @micra said:
    It’s the manner of going a goal down that frustrates . You jest though, I’m sure @YorkExile, when you talk of booing.

Haha, I feel like this admission will follow me to the Gasroom grave, like Dev oggling women on public transport or Richie playing a spot of golf.

As you say, it wasn't going 2-0 down I made my feelings know about. That happens, especially away from home against tough opposition, in a tough league.

It was the relentless hoofing before the first goal, after the first goal, and after the second goal which wound me up. As soon as we stopped doing that we grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and gave it a good go.

• edited March 2019

8963 overall.
    As the club has announced the figure, I claim no credit for predicting 2728 Em's offspring.

• richie plays golf?

• @Wendoverman said:
    richie plays golf?

He said he does. But he also said we were going to loan an emergency goalkeeper.

• @Wendoverman said:
    richie plays golf?

Crazy?

• so that's where he picks up his insider information?

• 9228 with 2728

• edited March 2019

I have only just realised that the online sales have shut already and the crowd is near enough fixed.

For the sake of the integrity of the Season long competition, which is now quite tight, I am going to not count any predictions after 11:30 today, giving just a little time for any late forecasters to make their predictions.

I await with a little trepidation the gasroom's verdict on arbitrary new rules ... Regular thread readers may know that the normal 14:02 cut off is marked by that being the earliest time the singing could start. Today I believe that 11:30 could well be that time!

I am really looking forward to this game. It seems we will have around 6000 in the home half, we will outnumber the visitors by more than 2 to 1. Let us hope we will have the inspiration and incentive to at least match them for noise and encouragement.

Come on you Blues.

• There may be a few less than predicted. Trains on the East Coast Main Line at a stand...

• All over to the Match Day thread now until after the game.

All ticket. Ticket sales closed. We are Wycombe so I fancy an upset.

• 8999 including 2699 from ‘Grim up’.

• Been given as 8,422 with 2,708 Sunderland.

• Mmmm ....
    I would rather I had been right with the result of the game - I was until the 94th minute.
    Still it was a good game in front of a tremendous crowd. It looked to me like we were closer to capacity than that.

The way we played today, we deserve to play in front of those sorts of numbers every week.

I take a small bow, I was the only one within 100. @Shev deserves a mention for being next closest.

Also to take quite a large bow @robin - spot on with the away attendance of 2708. Also cheers for consistently posting the numbers shortly after the games.

I guess smaller numbers for the Accrington game.

Happy wandering and predicting to all.

• And there I was worried I had come in too low, @railwaysteve! Congrats on the weekly win by going way outside the box! First prediction, too!

• So what is the capacity then? Near sell out we were told

• Match report on the club website gives attendance as 8,422 (2,723 Sunderland). Our capacity must be lower than we think because there didn't look like 800 empty spaces.

• About 5 empty seats in front of me in FA Q G.

• It is worth pointing out that the Stevenage game last year was announced as 8,802, with clear empty sections in the Stevenage end.

• Numbers of us were surprised by the figure which was announced for the attendance at the home game against Sunderland. There are several comments on this thread and also on other gasroom threads.
    I believe that a figure of 8725 was given on some showings of the highlights. Credit to a small group who have followed up on this discrepancy with the club.
    I have confirmation from the club that the initial announcement figure of 8422 contained a human error.

So I have recast the spreadsheet for the game using the true figure for the attendance of 8725.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saBH1IFjkRjq_pEIS5O3HLAv8Rgwz3JNIAXm7-3n8rY/edit?usp=sharing

I have lost my place as the closest and the congratulations go to @Shev 25 out with 8700, the only forecast within 100 was by @DJWYC14 who was 40 away with 8765. A well deserved honourable mention.

The club has stressed that the mistake with the initial announcement had no bearing on safety on match day and nor did it have any effect on the availability of tickets for the game.

Apologies for the change. I will make a posting on the Tour de Season thread with a consequent alteration in those current standings.

Finally: can I encourage Gasroomers onto the Oxford attendance thread to speculate about the crowd, (misleadingly if you wish), if it is too early to forecast. I think that a result at the current home of the pnl could be as important to the club as anything else.