Skip to content

Wycombe XI that never played for the Wanderers

Im sure some posters can find some more, including a keeper, that were born or bred in the Wycombe district
but never pulled on the light and dark blueshirt ?

Roger Darvill
Tony Hazell
Mike Keen
Martin Busby
Keith Dublin
Alan Cordice
Neil Cordice
Dominic blizzard
Paul Mcclaren
Harry Pritchard
Nas Bashir

Comments

• Isn't Eddie Howe from Wycombe ?

• Beaconsfield I believe. I once asked him how he slipped through Wycombe’s net and he said because he was more interested in cricket as a youngster!

• Eddie Howe was born in Amersham.
    Another one i forgot was former England international Neil Webb's father.
    Dougie Webb hailed from Stokenchurch and went onto play 204 appearences for Reading.

• I thought this was going to be a thread

• ...stuffed with classic squad players who we signed, but never actually featured in the First XI - would probably have many amazing Taylor and Waddock-era hopefuls, along with the legend that was Nathan Evans.

• Dominic Blizzard is now trying to become an actor apparently.

• Snow chance.

• I spent a fair bit of time trying to persuade Paul McClaren to consider Wycombe (via his father who, understandably, seemed mainly concerned with how much the club were paying). As a young lad he lived next door to us and his footballs landed in our garden so frequently that, in the end, we just said help yourself. Paul went on to have a successful career in Leagues 1 and 2 and the Championship. I believe he became an agent when he retired in 2012 but have no idea whether he still is.

• Steve Hawes was a decent player

• Was he related to Gary Hawes ? Prolific scorer in junior football in the mid 80's. Was snapped up by Southampton. But never heard of him again.

• Weren't they brothers? Or have I made that up?

Steven Hawes was actually in the same class at school as Paul McLaren

• Further to the above, he wasn't.

I was thinking of someone else.

Another great contribution from me.

• I remember playing against Gary Hawes. An early bloomer who was a force in his early teens but as others caught up physically wasn't able to stand out as much.

Does anyone else remember Wycombe schooled Chris Pullen playing for Watford in the top division.

• Another one, Paul Swannock, He signed for Oxford United, but didnt hear of him after that.

• I remember Gary Hawes being a year or two below me at Challoner's. Something of a goal machine by reputation, I recall him being shortish but very solidly built. Unless I don't.

• Speaking of Challoner's - Scott McCubbin was there at the same time as John Mousinho and seemed to be of similar standard but their careers have gone slightly differently. Scott ended up 'only' playing a handful of matches for Burton and of course never got the privilege of playing for us like Mous did.

• @HCblue said:
    I remember Gary Hawes being a year or two below me at Challoner's. Something of a goal machine by reputation, I recall him being shortish but very solidly built. Unless I don't.

His style of play was very similar to that of Ian Rush's, he would seize onto ball's threaded through and his pace and finishing would do the rest. Two players i used to play against in the Slough League were Robert Wignall and Dominic DiCioccio.
    Wignall was one of the first in the Lilleshall elite group in 1986 and played for Eng u16's
    team alongside Jason Beckford,Darren Pitcher and John Ebbrell, i think i can vaguely remember him appearing for our capital league side at Loakes Park. But it appears never played at any significant level. But the Star of the Slough Aztecs junior side was Dicciccio, looked to be destined for big things as a junior. Came on as a sub for Slough Town, when we defeted them in the 1990 Berks&Bucks final, scored a tremendous thumping volley to bring it back to 2-1. But that was pretty much the last i heard of DiCioccio.

• @ChasHarps - You have probably seen this report re Dicciccio but it may be of interest to others.

http://www.sloughtownfc.net/reports/3574/

• edited March 2019

Michael Malcolm, did he not come from round this way , lots of talk about him at the time, and if memory serves me right he played against us for Stockport County.

• @mooneyman said:
    @ChasHarps - You have probably seen this report re Dicciccio but it may be of interest to others.

Thanks Mr Mooneyman, i had seen that report a few years back.
    How bizzarre is Alan Davies statement ?
    "You also have to say thanks to the supporters who outshouted Wycombe and made us feel like we were playing at home."

We outnumbered the rebels support by at least 10-1 that day !! In what was Saint Martin's first piece of silverware as a manager.

• Going back a while I seem to remember a 3rd Cordice possibly Geoffrey,& back further one of the top local players Ian Barber lived in Castlefield his dad played for Orient. Nas played for the Red team in the final game at Loakes park.

• Godfrey played for Chesham and Maidenhead Utd, i played against Ian Barber in local Sunday football towards the end of his playing days, was still very poweful in the air. Nas Bashir was in the same age group as the previously mentioned Gary Hawes.

• @ChinnorBlue said:
    Michael (Not Malcolm) Malcolm, did he not come from round this way , lots of talk about him at the time, and if memory serves me right he played against us for Stockport County.

• Malcom was a WW youth teamer who was sold to Spurs as a youngster and did play for their reserves but never their first team as far as I'm aware. Got released and went down the divisions, possibly having a trial with us along the way.

• @mooneyman said:
    @ChasHarps - You have probably seen this report re Dicciccio but it may be of interest to others.

Attendance: TBC. Thirty years and we're still waiting!

• Attendance was 1567, with half a dozen rebels !!

• The highlight of the day for me was the darts match we had with Slough Town supporters in the pub beforehand. We won that as well. It was indeed an awful venue for the final. I still struggle to understand how the hell Hungerford Town have made it to Conference South level being such small town under 6,000. Chelsea and our old kit man was one of the Slough fans we beat that day. Ironic he ended up living in Wycombe and working for the club.