Skip to content

When Wycombe beat Sunderland

How many remember when Wycombe Schoolboys won the English Schools Trophy beating Sunderland schools 1-0 on agreegate in the final in 1981 ,I think , with a certain Mark West getting the only goal in the first leg at Loakes Park . I believe the crowd was around what we expect to get on Saturday. I think the team also had Kevin Keen and Graham Bressington in the line up.

Poll not found

Comments

• Yes was at the match, some others in that squad and team, David Ley, Keith Dublin. Andy Randall was also a great local keeper playing for Holmer Green etc.

• I saw most of the games in that cup run apart from the second leg of the final up North.
      I think Kevin Keen was a year younger in school terms to the rest of the squad but Mark West was amazing during the whole run.

• @M3G said:
      Yes was at the match, some others in that squad and team, David Ley, Keith Dublin. Andy Randall was also a great local keeper playing for Holmer Green etc.

Tony Ashby was the keeper, went onto find fame at Harrisons in Coates Lane.
      Raymond Jack up front, Paul Bates at the back (not related to the other one)

• I went to pretty much all those games... giving away my age, it was my year at school and a couple of the lads in the squad I went to school with.

• Sorry to hear that you only had one year at school @HolmerBlue. I was well into my forties at the time of those memorable matches. I remember how enjoyable they were and how proud those lads made us feel (even the likes of me who’d moved to Wycombe only seven years earlier).

• Lol... you know what I meant @micra , just me rushing and not checking first as usual... obviously I meant I was the same age as the players

• You’re not John Delaney then @HolmerBlue !

• No I'm not

• Jon Delaney son of John Delaney was another member of the team. One of two Brenchwood boys. The other being ex WWFC reserve team player Martin Smith.

• The Home away away programmes are currently being sold on eBay if anyone is interested.

• The Home away away programmes are currently being sold on eBay if anyone is interested.

• Open top transit van victory tour of the town ....
      1981 English Schools champions

• Wow. Great picture. They must have been terrified on that.
      Really good to remember that side. Probably my first real regular set of visits to Loakes Park.
      Also remember seeing Westy score at Wembley for England schoolboys

• That photo is fantastic.

• Amazing photo, one sharp stop and they would all be lying on the road!

• The good old days when Health and Safety was a white haired man in a blazer saying: 'Steady there...'

• There is a 2nd one also in that set if you look. Unless someone posts it.

• For those under a certain age,the backdrop to that Picture would now be M and S and the cinema in Eden .The factory Stewart and Arnold's made chocolate You would get this sickly smell coming across on a a hot day !The pub next door was I think The Rose ?

• Was there anyone in the chair metropolis who didnt know someone who worked at Stewart and Arnolds ? were forever getting given the honeycombe crunchie bars they made for M&S. Have never been able to stomach a crunchie since.

• My dad worked at Stewart and Arnold’s for over 20 years. I hate crunchie bars. Good to see that photo

• Martin Smith attends the odd Wycombe game, if memory serves he was in the same group that came down from Flackwell with the Tolls & Paul West.

• Martin Smith was a Downley boy. I think Kevin Edwards was one of the Flackwell contingent.

• I'm pretty sure I took another with my Instamatic in Frogmore but it's not in my scanned collection. I'll have to have a rummage around and see if I can find it.

• @Mr67 said:
      For those under a certain age,the backdrop to that Picture would now be M and S and the cinema in Eden .The factory Stewart and Arnold's made chocolate You would get this sickly smell coming across on a a hot day !The pub next door was I think The Rose ?

It was The Rose, used to go in there now and again in lunch time whilst at college as they had a pool table

• @Mr67 said:
      For those under a certain age,the backdrop to that Picture would now be M and S and the cinema in Eden .The factory Stewart and Arnold's made chocolate You would get this sickly smell coming across on a a hot day !The pub next door was I think The Rose ?

Does anyone under a certain age even come on the Gasroom?

• @MindlessDrugHoover Does that even matter?

@Mr67 The Rose was the Skins pub back then (81). Never forget Chelmsford being in there in 85 and coming out with chairs glasses ashtrays in that FAC match big set to on bridge Street carpark.

• @Mr67 said:

Does anyone under a certain age even come on the Gasroom?> @M3G said:

@MindlessDrugHoover Does that even matter?

Er... lighthearted joke?

• @MindlessDrugHoover it's ok my response isn't serious bud.