Skip to content

FA Trophy 1/4 final

I see Maidstone earned a replay at Stockport yesterday. But Barnet went out on penalties after extra time at AFC Fylde !!
Can you just decide the rules as you go along now ?

Comments

• Evidently so. Clubs must decide before the tie whether there will be a replay. If they can’t decide there will be a replay.

• Good Grief, Can they devalue the competition any more ?
    Barnet should have been ecstatic that they would bring back Fylde to the Hive in Midweek. As I believe Barnet have nevere won the FA Trophy, and I'm struggling to think of there last appearence at Wembley.

• RULES OF THE FA CHALLENGE TROPHY COMPETITION

1. EXTRA TIME, REPLAYS, POSTPONED AND ABANDONED MATCHES (MATCHES PLAYED
      PRIOR TO THE SEMI FINALS)
      (a) Extra Time in First Matches
      If a first match is drawn after 90 minutes, an extra 30 minutes may be played (15 minutes each way). The agreement for the playing of extra time shall be agreed in writing between both Clubs and confirmed in writing by the Home Club to The Association on The Match Arrangement Form which must be received by The Association within seven days of the date of the draw and notified to the Referee on the Official Team Sheet no later than 45 minutes prior to kick-off.

Barnet are at home to Chesterfield on Tuesday and I understand they did not want to make their fixture backlog any worse. They are two points above relegation and some teams around them have played six more games than them. Fylde, of course, would readily agree to play to a result on the day.

I went to Barnet's only FA Trophy Final appearance, they lost 3-0 to Stafford Rangers in 1972. My first game at Wembley, I joined other fans on the pitch at the final whistle. Those were the days.

• That is dreadful - surely the whole point of a tournament is that it's the same rules for everyone.

You can agree to opt out of replays!?

• Not heard of this rule but utterly ridiculous. Should never have even been considered as an option but now an almost certainty to be considered in other competitions.

• The same rule applies in the FA Vase. Looking at the FA Vase results this season, playing the first game to a conclusion was the norm, few replays. In the FA Trophy this season, replays are the norm, although I note that the Boreham Wood v Torquay 1st Round match went to extra time.

You might think that the away team would always want a replay but, if that is not the case in the Vase, then I can only think that midweek long distance travel for the part-time home team, including their fans, is the main concern, although that implies surprising altruism by the away team.

Some of the bigger National League teams seem to regard the Trophy as a bit of a nuisance these days, and put out weakened teams. Those teams would presumably want to avoid replays. Barnet did want to get to the Trophy final, Ruby made that clear, so I am still surprised that they did not opt for a replay.

• This rule has been in place for some time hasn't it?

The idea is that if both clubs don't want a replay, it saves the travelling costs of the 2nd leg.

• I cannot see why the away side would ever agree to it. Devaluing the FA Trophy is exactly the same path the Conference clubs did when they finally were allowed into the Football League Trophy (now the Checkatrade Trophy).

After years of bleating about how they were so desperate to participate in the competition the top 8 (?) clubs were invited to join. After one season they started playing their reserve sides as they didn’t want to jeopardise their chances of promotion to the Football League. The rest, they say, is history. The moral of the story is don’t disrespect the game that pays your wages.

• I remember a FA Vase tie between Buckingham Athletic & Barkingside back in 2010. With the scores all square at 90 mins the referee and Buckingham prepared for extra time whilst Barkingside got into the showers. A breakdown in communication between club officials led to the stand-off but eventually Barkingside were found to be in the right and walked the replay 7-0 as Buckingham could barely raise a side for a midweek replay they never saw coming.