Skip to content

Chelsea keeper refusing to be subbed

Switched over to see this and realised football has taken the first bite out of itself. The media will chew it to pieces but at the end of the day it was quite simply an example of player power above all other known rule.

Take a look at Davis Luus talking to the keeper from behind his hand. He certainly wasn't telling him to go off and respect the sport

Poll not found

Comments

• edited February 2019

Sarri's just embarrassed himself there in the interview. Probably protecting his pay off.
      Said he got it wrong, the player didn't need to come off as he wasn't injured. He needed to come off because he was told to. Ignoring your manager and winking about it isn't great. Refusing to come off for an experienced cup winning penalty saving keeper and then losing the shoot out not great either.

• A bit of PR in between, or actually a misunderstanding that the keeper wasn't actually injured?

• Is it irrelevant whether the keeper was injured or not. The manager wanted to substitute him and he refused. That is just wrong and in my view unjustifiable.

• Unforgivable from the keeper but Sarri's cover story is very poor. No-one seriously believes that as it was a clearly a tactical move, the sub goalie had been warming up prior to the "cramp" and ready to come on. Manager was undermined but protecting his pay out by denying it.

• I imagine goalkeepers getting cramp is a fairly frequent phenomenon.

• With the few inches Scott Brown would cover away from his goal line, i doubt he'd ever suffer a bout of cramp !!

• edited February 2019

@ChasHarps said:
      With the few inches Scott Brown would cover away from his goal line, i doubt he'd ever suffer a bout of cramp !!

He definitely will be adding it to his repertoire now.

• edited February 2019

I watched the highlights of this today with my non-football fan wife and had an interesting discussion with her about what could be done to stop something like this happening again.

We came up with this; Manager tries to make sub, Player A refuses to come off. Manager confirms with fourth official (who passes it on to referee) that he still wishes to make the sub. Fourth official indicates sub on board - the substitution is now 'official' and Player A is now officially no longer involved in the match. If Player A still refuses to leave the pitch he can be booked by the referee. If he still fails to leave the pitch he can be sent off, but the substitute (Player B ) can still come on as Player A is no longer actively part of the game. If Player A is sent off, he serves the appropriate length ban.

What the Chelsea keeper did yesterday was hugely disrespectful to his manager, to his teammates, to his club and its supporters. To put your own selfish desires above giving your side the best possible chance to win the game is appalling. If I was a Chelsea fan I would be incensed at his behaviour.

I was amazed at how Sarri just seemed to stand by and let it happen, leaving Zola to try and persuade him to leave the pitch, before giving an intelligence-insulting nonsense interview after the game, in what I can only assume was an attempt to try and save some face. Compare that to how Ranieri publicly called out Kamara after he refused to hand over a penalty to designated penalty-taker Mitrovic a couple of months back.

If I was Sarri, I would drop him for the remainder of the season, but I suspect he will be in goal for them in their next game.

• You had that "Manager tries to make sub, Player A refuses to come off. Manager confirms with fourth official (who passes it on to referee) that he still wishes to make the sub. Fourth official indicates sub on board - the substitution is now 'official' and Player A is now officially no longer involved in the match. If Player A still refuses to leave the pitch he can be booked by the referee. If he still fails to leave the pitch he can be sent off, but the substitute (Player B ) can still come on as Player A is no longer actively part of the game. If Player A is sent off, he serves the appropriate length ban" discussion with your "non-football fan" wife?

Full credit. I'd have lost mine at "sub"...

• Yeah she's a keeper (as in... oh, never mind)

Seeing my post quoted made me realise how waffly and boring it was. Apologies to all!

• Discussion of the issues with my non football fan wife would begin and end with ....'How old are these people supposed to be...?'

(But she's good to the kids...)

• Trust me @Jonny_King you are well down the pecking order of “waffly and boring” on here

• Hear hear.

• Now that the initial outrage has subsided I'm left with a feeling of amusement that a club as dislikable as Chelsea has been made to look so foolish

Lovely stuff

• @Jonny_King , It's fanciful to suggest Chelsea can ditch Kepa. Maybe for one game tonight, but even that is a 50-50.

There's a reason so many reprobates like Nile Ranger repeatedly get another chance despite a crime sheet that would have them binned off in most jobs, and that's simply it being a limited numbers game.
      Chelsea ditching Kepa hurts their on pitch performance. Simple as that, so they won't ditch him long term.

• Sarri...like all Chelski managers is doomed once the players have spoken. Which is why they will struggle again this season. What they will do once Abramovich has his bank balance investigated and legs it somewhere less intrusive I have no idea.

• They'll drop back to the level of club they should be, mid table Premier league.