Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• A very different day to the away fixture. Never been so cold at the end of 90 minutes.

• And wet, of course.

• I hope the £2 I just spent on some hot water that had spent a couple of minutes next to some chocolate powder helps the club's financial position.

• Is it 4-4-2 with Bloomfield on the right? Or 4-3-3?

• I don't know about formation but first time I've heard rush played at a football match I think

• It’s either a 442 with Bloomers out wide, or a 433 with Kashket out wide. Neither of which I think are good choices given we have Freeman and Tyson on the bench.

• The saving grace for us so far is that the gills aren't very good.

• Painful so far. Sido having a blinder and Stewart looks like he's never been out.
    All a bit pedestrian and predictable. Nice sat in the sunshine though.

• @EwanHoosaami I think Ritchie will tell you Stewart cannot kick a ball ;-)

• unlucky not to win nevermind to lose . we are simply not ruthless enough

• A couple of chances second half would, on another day, have gone in. McCarthy at the back post stretching and putting it over and the Bayo shot header combo that hit the keeper twice. Also good save from Kaahket snap shot and the Bayo miss in first half.
    So all in all a goamenwe ought not to have lost, but we did.
    Seemed like a lack of energy and drive, especially in the first half because they were there for the taking.
    At least we didn't get wet today ...

• Didn't deserve to lose, but that was a chance to cement ourselves in upper mid table. Next two games very tough and table could look different after them with us in a rut of bad results. Need a big result somewhere.

• Strange game. Individually we played very well, with perhaps only Kasket below par. Despite this though we never quite got it together as a team. Very unfortunate to lose, a real smash and grab from the Gills. We just weren't ruthless enough, missing gilt edge chances moments before and after their goal summed it up. We need our strikers to start hitting the net again soon

• Miserable result. First time all season I’ve felt a bit concerned.

• Dreadful game, but we could quite easily have put a chance in and then seen it through 1-0, as Gillingham, with that big Andy Carroll tribute act up front looked so mediocre.

How Bayo put one chance from about 10 yards out, not just over the bar, but over the stand, I will never know.

Kashket had a half volley and instantly signalled to the bench to be replaced. That's sort of been the story of his season unfortunately. A lot of bench time, and a lot of niggles.

Thought Thompson was excellent again. Good in the air, and so relaxed on the ball in awkward situations. I'm trying to think of a better shout for player of the season so far to be honest.

• Curtis Thompson is the best player at the club now

• If our strikers can’t score can we get the experienced one back from his loan spell.

• Apparently not. Unbreakable loan.

• Not sure we can do that.

• On another note I didn't notice Bloomfield for quite a while, and Paris certainly doesn't favour that position.
    Seemed a bit shoehorned in to get the Bayo-Kashket combo working.

Not sure what the best lineup would be at the moment, but probably involves Tyson and Paris starting wide. Gape-Thompson is obviously the best combo there, so who makes up the other 2?

Bayo and Samuel?
    Samuel with Bloomfield off?
    Bayo and Kashket?

• I think Samuel did all the things Scotty did not do hen he came on harassing defenders putting himself about. Not as deadly in front of goal perhaps but a bettershout for a starter. I would have swopped gloomy for Freeman . For all his energy he is not a goal threat. Another day we would have won that...and we did not deserve to lose. But we did. Heigh hi.

• I believe that a lot of the fans have lost faith in Kashkets' goal threat. Has anyone noticed the usual song has ebbed away? Certain that he will get back among the goals. When he comes on as sub, he rarely doesn't have a positive impact. Appears that when he starts, something isn't quite there, though can't put my finger on it. As for Bloomers, he is like the old faithful family mutt. It is time for that final trip to the vet but nobody wants to say it or take him. Sorry, but I just can't see what positive impact he has on a game. Not knocking that he is a gent, role model, Mr Wycombe etc, however one decent half every five games isn't enough. I always feel we start with 10.5 players when he is in the starting eleven, unless I am missing something blindingly obvious. I know he wasn't helped btw when he was at the front of the diamond, as it wasn't his usual place. Bloomers wasn't the reason we lost today though, as others have commented, we were not ruthless enough, (which happens), also I felt on the whole we were predictable and pedestrian.
    Onwards to the next game and we do have a habit of coming up with the odd win out of the unexpected so hopefully we can find that in the next fortnight.

• I agree with the above posts,however I did think that the majority of the crowd were just watching and not getting behind the team. It shouldn't take an oldie like me to start some of the songs behind the goal. As for the Woodlands the majority just watched the match (which is their prerogative). It is easy to get behind the team when we are winning. Sorry to moan.

• edited February 2019

Not everyone has to be a star player, especially at our level, so you need a number of hard workers in there. But when you have Gape and Thompson, the third centre mid really needs to have a more creative or goal threat.

Kashket only needs a split second for a ball to break to him and he'll score, and there's no-one you'd more want a chance to fall to.

However, a lot of the game he's not given a sniff by much bigger players, and any flick on has to be so accurate to get him in. We don't have anyone with the creativity to play him in from the centre either, and today we didn't have any sort of wide threat until late on, meaning our only way to create was lofting high balls to Bayo.

• I didn’t think that was a bad game at all. We played some nice football, Gillingham were anonymous apart from an exceptional bit of skill for their goal, and there wasn’t a huge amount of hoofing. Terrible ref and linesman on the woodlands side but silver lining: Thompson was absolutely terrific today.

• I actually thought Blooms had a really good game today. Am I alone in thinking that? Gillingham seemed to struggle to track him and he popped up all over the place. His passing was good, I didn't think he gave the ball away once and he made some good tackles.

As I said earlier, there were a lot of good individual performances today, but somehow it didn't quite translate in to a good team performance. That said, we certainly weren't poor, we had good chances, but missed them. Quite simply, that's why we didn't win or get at least a point!

• @drcongo said:
    I didn’t think that was a bad game at all. We played some nice football, Gillingham were anonymous apart from an exceptional bit of skill for their goal, and there wasn’t a huge amount of hoofing. Terrible ref and linesman on the woodlands side but silver lining: Thompson was absolutely terrific today.

Not quite sure I agree on the hoofing today. I'm not at all pure about it, in fact all for it if it leads to something, but so many flick-ons from Bayo to no-one

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I actually thought Blooms had a really good game today. Am I alone in thinking that? Gillingham seemed to struggle to track him and he popped up all over the place. His passing was good, I didn't think he gave the ball away once and he made some good tackles.

As I said earlier, there were a lot of good individual performances today, but somehow it didn't quite translate in to a good team performance. That said, we certainly weren't poor, we had good chances, but missed them. Quite simply, that's why we didn't win or get at least a point!

Agree with you on Blooms today but also with @Malone in that I'm not sure we needed him doing what he did today against a very average Gillingham side

• There were 2 or 3 flick ons Bayo won which would have had to be so precise to play Kashket in through a couple of defenders.

I wonder if that combo needs more chances to gel, whether it's better as a change late in the game, or whether we do better with the wide players.