Skip to content

Amusing footballers' names

Just discovered this gentleman during the Chelsea game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonke_Innocent

Comments

• Hannover used to have a player called Christ Bongo. Not sure anything will top one time Wycombe triallist Nortei Nortey though.

• A few more to add to the list:-

Samba Baby - France
    Danger Fourpence - Zimbabwe
    Creedence Clearwater Couto - Brazil

And my favourite...

Norman Conquest - Australian international goalkeeper.

• Still like Perry Digweed myself.....

• Mark De Man - former Belgium international

• Always had to be careful articulating Kenny Lunt, the Crewe midfielder’s name.

• There was a French goalkeeper called Dominique Dropsy!

• Rod Fanni always raises a titter

• Rod Fanni is a classic.

• edited February 2019

I always thought David Seaman to be amusing.
    Rumour is, his nickname at Arsenal was 'H' - short for Harry Monk.

Then there was...
    Bernt Haas (apparently he enjoyed a curry)
    Dean Windass (also a fan of the curry?)
    Danny Shittu (another curry fan?)
    Mario Turdo
    Rafael Scheidt

Moving into a different area...
    Andre Muff
    Rod Fanni (already mentioned above)
    Ralf Minge
    Stefan Kuntz
    and finally, former Portugal goalkeeper Quim

• Tunji Banjo always raised a smile for me...(not sure if he could hit a cow's behind perhaps Letyon O fans can help) David goodwillie is an obvious chuckle and nowadays Issac Success is a great name!

• Brian Pinas (once of Newcastle) and Argel Fucks (ex-Benfica and capped by Brazil)

• Gursel Gulfer ex Hampton striker, Spanish international Roberto Ufarte but our very own Wayne Wanklyn takes some beating.

• I’m a big fan of Fortunate Sithole

• Qpr had a DouDou alongside their Shittu.

• Not sure if he ever played but one of the linesmen tomorrow is Samuel Ogles.
    Carl Boyeson in charge, even more off-topic.

• Worth a mention of Tomas Holy, who'll be between the sticks for Gillingham tomorrow

• Didn’t we play against a guy called Ng a couple of seasons back?

Not in the same league (literally) as some of those above, but I’ve always smiled at the mention of red card magnet Max Power.

• I hope Sunderland fans sing this song.

• For fans of the South West Peninsular League, Exmouth Town have a player called Ace High.

• Max power and lars bender

• Let’s not forget one of our own
    Jermain McSporan

• There was once a player called Segar Richard Bastard apparently

• A friend of mine had a colleague called Goodhead Job. However I think his football never progressed beyond the company five-a-side team.

• For name combo fun, back in the 78/79 season Chelsea's relegation centre half pairing was John Sitton and Micky Nutton, prompting the great newspaper headline 'Sitton doing Nutton' as they were thrashed by Forest.

• John Nutter and Danny Invincible.........

• I'm invincible!!

....no you're not I can see you quite clearly.....

• I worked with a chap called Richard Cockhead. Though he pronounced it Cohead! What were his parents thinking of - Dick Cockhead.
    Isaac Success is a pretty cool name for a footballer.

• Spent a summer working at Reldan. Every day you heard at least six times over the tannoy "Can John Thomas please come to the office?"

• I was discussing terrible names with some friends last night. One of them knows someone called African Moon (first name only). Don't think he or she is a footballer, but thought it deserved a mention.